BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 4th, 2020, 12:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Possible bug maybe

In the game "streams" are less then 1-hex (50m) wide and not "deep water" (infantry can't wade across).

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 4th, 2020, 12:42 PM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Yet a stream will immobilize everything short of aircraft and infantry. Even vehicles that have the amphibious capability. But thank you for the information.

Streams are easy to spot you should not need a warning not to enter it by mistake.
Let's see, no bridge or ford and you need to get across it...yeah so am I suppose to wish the vehicles to the other side with Jedi force powers?

I get the idea of a stream causing so issues, SOME, but the rate of chance on how often a vehicle is stuck in them is insanely high. And let's define a stream. To me, a stream is something that can be crossed easily because at most it's only knee-deep. Now are the "streams" on the map creeks? Those are normally wider and deeper, so which is it?

And back to the pointed out item, yes, you can see them, but if you didn't buy airmobile forces then you are going to have to cross them at someone point and on an average six vehicles will get stuck, or least that has been my count so far.

It's like the default to the road tiles by vehicles near them, you need to move up three hexes to stay in a tree line...and the vehicle moves out on the road and dies because the game code wants to put vehicles on road to move them. Don't believe me, then open a map, pick your stuff, and then move near a road, then pick a hex say 5 away from you and watch the vehicle go towards to road to get there when it could have gone straight to the target hex and avoided the return or OP fire of the enemy.
This is the reason I always turn breakdowns off in my preferences. The different terrain will only slow me down to varying degrees but I won't get stuck.
Old June 4th, 2020, 12:45 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Possible bug maybe

There are just to many topographical considerations to take into account this next brings this to light "somewhat":
https://www.differencebetween.com/di...-and-vs-creek/ and notice the stream picture from Italy at top.

So steepness of the banks, terrain types entering or exiting the stream, bottom types mud, sand, rocks, boulders, depth, current or any combination in between. For the fact the crossing point is 50m/~60yds. wide anything can and will happen.

To mitigate some of this about the best solution I've found is simply put the units in adjacent "hexes" so that when they enter the stream they do so at their full movement allowance. This is especially important for tanks, ammo carriers, SPA etc. the "heavy" stuff. Wheeled and some tracked APC's generally do better, however if you've used 1/2 or more of your movement allowance to get there, don't cross the stream!, the odds aren't in your favor.

And of course don't turn your crossing point into a "parking lot" the AI, I promise will cause the stream to be the least of your problems if it has LOS to it.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old June 4th, 2020, 02:26 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

[quote=Felix Nephthys;847688]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post

This is the reason I always turn breakdowns off in my preferences. The different terrain will only slow me down to varying degrees but I won't get stuck.
Which is why we provide the preferences switches.

Everyone will have thier idea of "reality".

Me, I switch off breakdowns as well. Sticking gets annoying, especially in mud maps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 4th, 2020, 03:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Possible bug maybe

I'm not going to answer each individually but fords show up when you move your cursor over them. We Didn't put up a big "cross here" sign so SOME thought is required to find a way across and a scenario designer may have put them in where they were historically ( though probably not so much ) or at least as a way to funnel the attacker in the area they are supposed to go

As for turning breakdowns off...... personal choice and personally I never do.....breakdowns happen .....$hit Happens.......We don't factor random breakdowns into the game but they happen in RL and in the wrong place at the wrong time could affect the outcome of a battle.

Every once in a while someone gets all bent out of shape over mud or steams or rough terrain and that's why we put the message in for rough because sometimes rough is hard to spot when combined with other terrain but a stream is dead obvious and using a ford is the best way other than a bridge to cross them......Mud is mud... a bane for motorized units since motorized units entered battlefields and if you are playing a scenario the designer may have put mud there to stop people from using that terrain.

If all of that bothers a player then turn breakdowns off or just accept whatever happens

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 4th, 2020, 04:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

If you cross streams slowly I've found you don't get stuck very often. At full speed ... oh yeah!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 4th, 2020, 05:16 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

In game terms a "stream" is water less than a hex wide, a "river" more than that.
Whatever you choose to call it (brook, beck, creek, river, canal, etc) it is up to 50m wide and is significant enough to be an issue which is why it appears on the game map. If it had shallow banks and was a few inches deep it wouldn't appear on the game map...

The secret is speed - or rather lack of speed! vehicles moving slowly are MUCH less likely to become stuck. Move vehicles up to the hex before the stream in 1 turn then move a hex at a time to cross the next turn. Similarly for moving along a road, or not. If you move 5 hexes in 1 go the software chooses the "path of least resistance" ie the easiest/fastest (in terms of movement cost) so will in that case always use a road if available. If you want a specific route to be used move in smaller increments (even 1 hex at a time).

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 4th, 2020, 05:22 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
If you cross streams slowly I've found you don't get stuck very often. At full speed ... oh yeah!
because the game computes your speed when blundering into a sticking hex, minefield etc.

Your speed is the total hexes moved, and that resets to 0 on a fresh turn.

So drive up to the obstacle hex and stop. Gently creep in next turn the 1 hex and you will be moving slowly. If you made 1 hex - try not to be eager, and stop and rinse and repeat. Engineery things are better at getting into minefields - but again, do it 1 hex at a time if you want to lessen the chance of a bang!.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 4th, 2020, 08:50 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Well, I know at one point back in the day lots of folks wanted the bridge layers in the game...

I get why things are in the game, it's just annoying when you pick a route and click the end hex and the vehicle then moves some insane not what you thought path and I am like NOOOO! WTH!!! ARH! BOOM! Wait what NO! I get it things happen, it's just of the last four battle games, it seems ALL of them have managed to come along with Murphy and SNAFU and all of their friends. Hey on the bright side, I found out shooting stuff below a helicopter and finding out the truck is an ammo truck kills BOTH the truck and the chopper. That was fun.

Anyway back to the game.
Old June 5th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The "secret" for moving when you don't want surprises is only click on a hex a couple away from your present position and you are far less likely to get those "NO!" moments.

SOP. Has been since SP1. Same with laying roads in map-making. SOP.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....