.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to successfully utilize your \"Dominion Wal

Quote:
KissBlade said:
And 20 temples = 4000 gold, if you spent 4000 gold on temples, not only is your dominion going to be higher than six, you'll be massively underfunded in battle mages of which I will use to raze all 20 of those temples to the ground.
The number of temples you have only affects your maximum dominion strength and the number of holy troops you can recruit. The probability that dominion will spread from a temple is set at pretender creation and never changes. You also seriously underestimated the amount of gold I'd spend, since every temple would also have a castle built before the temple goes up. Which is why I wouldn't be particularly worried about raiding parties killing temples.

Quote:
Furthermore I attempted to make the Ghost King you mentioned and came up several points short.
Then you had better turn off your mods. Or get rid of a couple of levels of magic, since he's got way more than he would need anyways.

I'm still waiting to see how you would spend an extra 80 points in a manner that would completely crush such a pretender, which already has the optimum scales for C'Tis in the unmodded game.
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

I don't play unmodded since then I'd change my scales (since you have A LOT more points to play with from unmodded) and probably be willing to pump dominion up a bit. Also unless you're talking about late game, I can't even fantom how you'll get the time to amass that much extra gold for castles and temples in any MP game. Considering you're talking about the cost of well over 20 extra mages had I not sunk the resources in them. And in terms of crushing your pretender, I'll be perfectly willing to duel you anytime.
Old August 25th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

If you two play a game against each other, please make sure to save all of your saves, I'm sure everyone would like to see how this one turns out
My guess is Graeme will win, because I agree with him that dominion-3 is suicide.

And KissBlade, if he builds 20 temples, and you spend the same amount of money on mages, than you built absolutely no temples - you'll be gone before you know it.
Old August 25th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

Whoever is ahead in dominion is also going to win more battles and, depending on scales, be racking up other assorted bonuses. It always seems like a small thing, but the extra production or magic or morale on every province or unit adds up. Then, once the higher levels are reached, there are various globals which are directly tide to dominion. If I am just a couple of % ahead of you each turn, by the end of 40 turns I have a big lead.
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Very low dominion is hardly suicidal, particularly if you have mage-priests. I have only ever dominion died twice that I can remember- once as Atlantis totally surrounded by Ermor dom 10 temples, once as Mictlan when the possibilty of it just slipped my mind.

Mictlan is actually the perfect illustration of why dominion is not all that important, they considered are one of the best nations, yet most of the time most of your provinces won't even have your dominion.
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Ive purposely played with low dominion. With a stealth race like Pangaea it can help hide you for a few turns longer.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Ive purposely played with low dominion. With a stealth race like Pangaea it can help hide you for a few turns longer.
LoL, reminds me of the game Qm picked dom ONE and simply took advantage of Pan's 100 gold temples XD.
Old August 29th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Against the AI, I allways take dominion of at least four (I consider that to be VERY low) and usually take six or seven. I find that that allows me to forget about temples for the early part of the game, and lets me spread a bit of dominion around my teritory, though I've yet to crush anybody without taking a higher dominion or something sneaky (skeptics, stealth preaching, restless worshipers etc). IMHO dominion above seven is useful only as a pop-killing theme, anyone building lots of sacreds, if you KNOW you're fighting pop-killing dominion or other really high dominion, or to dominion kill your opponents. When I play a water nation, I often take a higher than average dominion too, as I find that water nations have rapidly fluctiating dominion, thats either really strong, or really low, and if I'm not paying attention I can easily end up in dire straits, having to scramble madly to avoid the inogmonious lost to the easy AI that took dominion strength 10.
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

With water nations, when possible i also try to take ceremonial faith, it lets rlyeh have decent preachng defence and atlantis have it very strong.
Old August 29th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Sergeant

Frostmourne27 is on a distinguished road

That might work, but I almost allways take turmoil and luck, so I can't (you need order for ceremonial faith don't you?) I find that turmoil gives me more gems, and that turmoil 3/luck 3 is about the same as order 0 no luck. It's alos easier to get those nice underwater heroes... btw, just how strong is ceremonial faith? It's double or something isn't it?