World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old August 19th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Major

Thanked 1,056 Times in 621 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road
Question Odds for hitting a sniper/scout unit

I recently played scenario 176 Trial by Fire and had a very difficult time killing the Green player's small units (snipers and scouts. I had often encountered this but since this scenario has so many small units it really made me wonder.

The hit odds would often be high yet it took several shots to cause a casualty.

When firing at a squad sized unit at hit odds of 50% about every other shot caused a casualty regardless of the current size of the squad.

When firing at a small unit (sniper/scout) at the same 50% odds it would often take 6-8 shots to score a single kill.

Are the displayed hit odds just inaccurate when firing at a small target or is there an additional calculation that the player does not see?
Old August 19th, 2016, 01:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Odds for hitting a sniper/scout unit

small units start off size zero, larger units are usually 1. I belive the scenario designer intentionally used smaller units that were harder to hit in that scenario
Old August 19th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Major

Thanked 1,056 Times in 621 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

I understand that they are meant to be harder to hit but my question is whether or not the displayed hit odds are accurate. It is almost as if the odds displayed are to hit a larger unit and are not the true odds to hit the targeted smaller unit.
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The chance is for a hit, which is nothing to do with a kill. A hit can cause a morale check, or the unit to take cover or pull back for example. Or it may just be deemed a close miss, causing more than average suppression (soft units if near-missed can gain S). Or it may actually kill a crewman. A lot depends on the receiving unit's morale and experience ratings. Green and unkeen units will melt faster than veterans with high morale.

Thus the only thing you can say a largish %age shown as a potential to-hit score is a better shot than if a smaller %age was displayed. That and experience gained over many battles.

But size 0 units are a special case, where direct fire to-kill rolls tend to get converted to high suppression:
IF Range is long - so as range goes beyond 1 hex, they get more difficult to kill.
UNLESS using a sniper class. Best counter-sniper therefore is a sniper
OR its an HMG team. Next best option, with the bonus effect of blast circles "spreading the joy2 to any neighbours of the size 0 unit.

So - spread your fire over the size zeros, till they are suppressed and better in retreat or rout status. Then close and kill with a 1-hex shot in the face from a full size section, a tank or APC, better yet enter the hex and melee them with a rifle section or cavalry. Tiny units dont like the bayonet.

And of course, little teams get crucified by explosives. So liberally stonk any area you think they may be with your arty.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Potion Re: Odds for hitting a sniper/scout unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetLT View Post
I understand that they are meant to be harder to hit but my question is whether or not the displayed hit odds are accurate. It is almost as if the odds displayed are to hit a larger unit and are not the true odds to hit the targeted smaller unit.
I'm not so sure I understand hit odds either, but I suspect the chance has a wee bit to do with the weapon in slot #1. I committed fires from a M3A1 Bradley, the hit odds were not great but when the tow let loose the hit percentage shot up to 95%. I got the kill.

I've knocked out snipers by advancing with as many units as I can bring to bear on it. Suppression and bounding until the sniper has spent his load for the turn then I move in real close for the kill. It seems you gotta get close and personal.

Then I've knocked off snipers from distance with an ATHK helo firing auto cannon, rare though.

What puzzles me is a pinned unit. A unit is reported as pinned, I keep up suppression with my assault team regardless, because I do not know, and how could you unless he stops firing.

=====
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:35 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The "T" key dialogue only shows statistics for the slot 1 weapon, which is meant to be the main/primary weapon. It is therefore no great use for determining what the hit chance of a missile in slot 2 is.
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:54 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
The "T" key dialogue only shows statistics for the slot 1 weapon, which is meant to be the main/primary weapon. It is therefore no great use for determining what the hit chance of a missile in slot 2 is.
Exactly. We are given hit chances on the weapon in slot #1.

====
Old August 19th, 2016, 08:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I also suspect all the factors taken into account to determine a hit are not displayed. Due to the spaghetti nature of WinSPMBTs code some factors aren't applied until a actual attack is made.

I view the hit probability display as a general guideline not a hard-and-fast probability.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old August 19th, 2016, 09:05 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

What if you deactivate weapon #1 and use the T key? Will it show weapon2 prob? I know I could try it myself but I am eating ice cream with whipped cream at the moment.
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:07 PM

Captain

Post Re: Odds for hitting a sniper/scout unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
What if you deactivate weapon #1 and use the T key? Will it show weapon2 prob? I know I could try it myself but I am eating ice cream with whipped cream at the moment.
Haha. Good one. My weakness are Oreo cookies. So, when you finish the ice cream please let us know what you found.

====