.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:19 AM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arcane Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
As to the bottom section of your post, I have to toss off a quick "wtf" for some of the accusations and arguments you're making there. You do make a good point though, albeit by accident. You could go ahead and remove all pearl income from the game and it would not effect the true cost of astral magic, which is that each pearl you spend is the equivalent of two other gems. CBM doesn't change that, it just makes it obvious.

Granted, having a pile of pearls allows you to defer the extra cost until you could have wished the pearls away into gems, but sooner or later every pearl you spend is 2 gems you don't have, and I am posting from a game-winning mentality here, meaning you will most likely have access to wish by the end-game. (And I already admitted to there being a bit of a nerf in games that last long enough for clams to pay off but not long enough to get wish...that's a pretty narrow band though, and the clams really don't kick into high gear until around the time you can wish, so I consider the effects fairly minor.)

And the "screaming" comment was based on the consistent posting of the supposed astral "nerf" as fact across several threads, not because of this specific instance, or really the tone in any of them. I'm not sure if you are the author of all of the posts on the subject or not, but taken in aggregate I believe my comment was warranted, though perhaps mistargetted.

Micah - I win about half my games before I *get* wish. I have certainly cast wish less than 5 times in all my mp games.

I don't care one way or the other playing with or without gem generators, I also don't care if astral is weaker, one way or the other. However, to say it isn't so that I can't agree with.

Your idea about the cost of using a pearl is two gems lost is not the only metric of cost - and many times, its not even the appropriate metric.

The real question is - is spending a pear on turn 10 get a better result than having 2 gems on turn 60. There are hundreds of cases where the answer is yes.