This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old November 17th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Private

Stone-D is on a distinguished road
Default Some feature requests...

... which I would like to make. I'm not even slightly hoping (kicked that habit, went cold turkey after PotC/Seadogs II) but would appreciate it if the dev (Aaron?) would at the very least eyeball them.

So, in order of decreasing likelihood of making it into a patch :

- Allow heavy weapon points to be used as light weapon points as well. This makes sense, doesn't it?

- Make cargo pods killable by weapons fire. Get rid of the annoying illegals you forgot about and picked up again.

- Make cargo pods twinkle and GLOW, not twinkle and fade to black.

- Hotkey, select nearest cargo pod within radar range.

- Ctrl+key combo to cycle through targets in your viewing range only. Ie, not behind you.

- Add a random factor to AI ship's skill level and loadout levels. I, at level 4, want to be surprised by a level 30 battlecruiser. At level 15 I want to find a pathetic newbie at level 1. Make the extremes damn rare though. Perhaps based on difficulty?

- Random news entry when an accident occurs. "Early this morning, the Yorkshire system was in shock as rescue parties rushed to the third planet, where the Abbidonian Battleship Ses'thene impacted at high velocity. Estimated casualties are in the tens of thousands. Officials expect no survivors of the Ses'thene's 400-strong crew."

- Make proximity to a star potentially lethal. Should slowly drain shields, then boil off your armor with exponentially increasing speed as it drops to zero percent. That, and/or make your/his/her ship easier to hit, being backlit and all.

- Provide ship name+Hitpoints overlay on main viewscreen. This could be set to on by holding down TAB (or whatever). Make locating ships/items easier.

- Directional arrows at the side of the screen indicating where your current target is.

[ November 17, 2003, 08:53: Message edited by: Stone-D ]
Old November 17th, 2003, 11:08 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some feature requests...

Mail it to Aaron directly. Many of the suggestions made it into patches in his other games as well.
Old November 17th, 2003, 04:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

- Allow heavy weapon points to be used as light weapon points as well. This makes sense, doesn't it?

Easily moddable, actually.

- Hotkey, select nearest cargo pod within radar range.

i I think?

- Ctrl+key combo to cycle through targets in your viewing range only. Ie, not behind you.

Would be nice.

- Random news entry when an accident occurs. "Early this morning, the Yorkshire system was in shock as rescue parties rushed to the third planet, where the Abbidonian Battleship Ses'thene impacted at high velocity. Estimated casualties are in the tens of thousands. Officials expect no survivors of the Ses'thene's 400-strong crew."

heh, heh. Evil.

- Make proximity to a star potentially lethal. Should slowly drain shields, then boil off your armor with exponentially increasing speed as it drops to zero percent. That, and/or make your/his/her ship easier to hit, being backlit and all.

- Provide ship name+Hitpoints overlay on main viewscreen. This could be set to on by holding down TAB (or whatever). Make locating ships/items easier.

- Directional arrows at the side of the screen indicating where your current target is

Very useful.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 17th, 2003, 05:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
... which I would like to make. I'm not even slightly hoping (kicked that habit, went cold turkey after PotC/Seadogs II) but would appreciate it if the dev (Aaron?) would at the very least eyeball them.
Starfury would not be half the game it is if Aaron did not listen to the suggestions and input of the beta testers (and of all the other people that send in suggestions).
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
- Add a random factor to AI ship's skill level and loadout levels. I, at level 4, want to be surprised by a level 30 battlecruiser. At level 15 I want to find a pathetic newbie at level 1. Make the extremes damn rare though. Perhaps based on difficulty?
You can set the level offset in the main_enemyGroups.txt file for one.

It could be a bit unbalancing if the player were to aquire super-high tech level components, though.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Private

KRNVR is on a distinguished road

On the overhead ('view offset', or 'F1') view, Left-click to center, Left-click within X of current center to re-center and zoom appreciably, Right-click to zoom out.

Hotkey to display LRS of targeted vessel.

LRS of planets to provide flavor text.

Option to rename vessel, at least when buying a new hull.

Frangible Asteroids.

Speculative commerce. Buy a good, fly to another system, and hope to sell it for a profit.

Option to extort goods (cargo, or even non-critical components) from outclassed or defeated vessels. Similar option for impressing Crew into service. Surplus 'crew' units as cargo and trade goods.
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Private

Devilsbane is on a distinguished road

If crew units are added each should have modifiers that effect the ship. IE Engineer +1 repair Hull,Armor,Shield
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Sergeant

Wydraz is on a distinguished road

Option to turn on a proximity scanner to stop the frikin' ship before it collides with a planet.

How stupid do you feel as captain of a ship when the entire crew and the ship's computer give no warning or couldn't care less if you're getting a little too close to those tiny planets?

Maybe a button for "auto shuttle" to stop the ship and shuttle over as soon as you're in range. If there is no place to shuttle onto the planet, just stop the ship. It's been more than one or two times I've shuttled over, and upon exiting I collide with the planet because of momentum. I've since learned to steer away rather than at the planet, but it still seems silly to have to do this.
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:49 AM

Corporal

dHay is on a distinguished road

Screen to display crew of other ship.
(Gotta luv them toxic injectors.)

Summary of my attack and defence attributes.
(Unless I'm missing something, as usual.)

Summary of their attack and defence attribs.

Percentage hit chance like in SEIV.

Ability to mod the AI behaviours.
(DLL hook?)
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:20 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Wydraz:
Option to turn on a proximity scanner to stop the frikin' ship before it collides with a planet.

How stupid do you feel as captain of a ship when the entire crew and the ship's computer give no warning or couldn't care less if you're getting a little too close to those tiny planets?
Oh, for woah is me.. I know what that's like. I've hit umpteen planets. I think the simplest solution (although unrealistic) would be to give all the planets an inner glow so that it is easier to see them. (especially the dark side of the moons.) More often than not, when I crash into a planet/moon it's because I was moving at 4-8x speed and just plain didn't see it.

just my 2 cents.

Cheers!