.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 15th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Corporal

Hullu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What about interactive Tactical Combat ?

I would be happy with some more advanced options for the current combat model.

For example, in my current game I play Kailasa. I like archers, but the archers kill more of my troops than the enemy would kill if the archers weren't present. Why can't I order my archers to 'shoot closest two turns, shoot rearmost two turns, stop shooting'. That would be enough options for them for me...

Or just "don't shoot at routing enemy".

I don't need the ability to control combat interactively, but I'd really really really want even a slightly more advanced commands.
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Corporal

Hullu is on a distinguished road

... addition to the previous post.

Enough for archers actually would be "shoot whatever as long as it's not within 5 squares of any of my troops".
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

I'm very happy with the current combat model. For example I can never get into the Total War series because I have to micro the combat or watch auto-resolve ruin it all.

Of course if some tactical control was allowed but not forced in the form of an option I'd be happy but I wouldn't use it.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Captain

Twan is on a distinguished road

If the combat is to be changed (my impression being IW doesn't want) I would prefer to be able to set the duration of the tactical/preparation phase (number of scripted orders for commander before the AI takes control, number of rounds before troops attack) over interactive combat. This option as a setting would probably be easier to implement, and will have an use for pbem as well as for solo games.
A probably harder to implement but other very interesting idea would be 2 list of orders for each commander/group and the possibility to determine the conditions of activation of the second script, according to the ennemy forces composition (consign will be like "if they are more than ... troops of type y", ie "activate script 2 if there are more than 50 missile troops in the ennemy army").

I often find the dominions combat a little too much out of control (especially as the tactical AI Ftaghn a lot) but I wouldn't like a total control either.
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

I also don't want to see interactive combat...but what I would love to see is a combat simulator, where I could pick and choose from my available forces, make an army, and then send them against another army I picked out, and then watch the otherwise regular combat ensure...this would help me, a lot, to learn how strategies work, what the strengths and weaknesses of units are, etc...

But...I fully realize that purists will say that half the fun of the game is finding out, in "real games" what the various units are really capable of, etc...

...and half the time I agree with that sentiment, alas!
Old November 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

The current combat model is excellent. Playing tactical battles would take a lot of time. We have enough micromanagement already without that.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Esben Mose Hansen is on a distinguished road

I,too, like the current model. The only thing I'd like is the possibility to create a separate script for assasinations, and a box to enter how many gems to use max. The first because even the least bright commander ought to see a difference between an assasination and a battle; and the other to reduce annoying micromagement. Bringing along scouts are not exactly hard, but nor is it fun to move those gems all the time.

Another thing I'd like would be to eliminate the unit scripts completely, and moving them to the commander... "order charge" would make commander and his units to charge e.g. Again, this would cut down on micro (only need one script per commander instead of per squad+commanders), and I love the idea of commanders giving orders. Of course, if the commander dies, chaos (=AI) happens. A side effect would be a bit more control over units, as hold,hold,hold,charge e.g. would be possible.

The last totally unrelated thing I'd love would be squads of wizards
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:33 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Interesting thought on using commander + squad orders.

You'd need to use a lot more commanders, since one couldn't effectively control squads with different tactics. You'd also have a lot more commander attrition, since they'd have to go into combat.

Mages couldn't effectively lead troops.
Old November 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
AMF said:
what I would love to see is a combat simulator, where I could pick and choose from my available forces, make an army, and then send them against another army I picked out, and then watch the otherwise regular combat ensure...this would help me, a lot, to learn how strategies work, what the strengths and weaknesses of units are, etc...

Interestingly enough, this (low-level, IIRC) simulator was in Dom:PPP (the first one), and for some reason was left out of DomII and not brought back in Dom3. Too bad, really.

Quote:

But...I fully realize that purists will say that half the fun of the game is finding out, in "real games" what the various units are really capable of, etc...

...and half the time I agree with that sentiment, alas!
The thing is, if you really want it, you can set up mostly anything you want, by scripting a map and making some "test" game with enough filthy rich nations and whatever (although actually limiting spell availability would be more tricky, I think). It's just that it's boring as hell to do.

All this talk of "learn the hard way" is fine, but some people like to experiment in controlled settings. With an easy to use battle simulator, I'd probably run some tons of tests to see, say, how many of troop X or Y I need to beat such and such poptype - which, as I never manage to really pay close attention to troop stats and what it means, might help me get a better feel for which troops I should use in which situation. But as it's so boring to set up, I just don't.
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:02 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

I'd love to see a combat simulator that came with a fully featured input mechanism that would allow you to run hundreds and thousands of test combats based on an easily set up input file. I think that's just the researcher in me talking though.