This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > KE Studios > War Plan Pacific
Notices

Old December 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Private

Timothy is on a distinguished road
Default What's the verdict on this game's AI?

With limited funds, I’m still on the fence about whether to purchase this game. It does sound like most are having fun playing it. Since I only play single player computer games, my main concern is in regards to the games AI ability.

Is the AI capable of playing a challenging game (in using various strategies, responses, etc.) and is it actually capable of winning against a human opponent, or do you mostly win against it?

Does the games AI have the ability to play differently from one game to another (in terms of its own random strategies, invasion goals, ship placements, task force formations, etc.) or does it come across as being somewhat predictable after a few games?

I guess what I am trying to ask is will this game be a game that I can play long term (with varying degrees of randomness and challenge) or will it be one that although fun, will not provide much long term replay ability for the single player?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards.

Last edited by Timothy; December 24th, 2008 at 10:26 PM..
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM

BANNED USER

ScottWAR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's the verdict on this game's AI?

In the few games I have played the AI hasnt been really great, but hasnt been a pushover either. It definately does different things, I'm assuming based on the players actions, which is one of my pet peeves. I hate games where the AI does the same thing regardless of what the player does.

To be honest I would say its a good buy, but its important to remember I have only played around 6 games. Hopefully someone more experienced, maybe a beta tester, can add in their thoughts.

Their is a scenario that makes the allied side much stronger, so that playing as Japan will be more challenging. Also, the game is editable,... using XML files to hold all data such as ships stats, locations, island locations, base stats, etc,...so you can alter the scenarios to make them more challenging for one side or the other, or create your own scenarios.

Last edited by ScottWAR; December 25th, 2008 at 12:10 AM..
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Sergeant

MarkL is on a distinguished road

I think the AI is good for it's purpose. Not super hard but not dead easy. If anything a bit on the easy side for an experienced player, but still good enough.

I am sure it will be tweaked by the developer. One thing I am hopeing for is that the community eventually make some tweaked scenarios that change the odds a bit. Change reinforcements, ship quantities etc.

That could make it considerably harder to win. As it is now, it is a really good balanced game for beginners and short games to be played out fairly quickly.

Cheers MarkL
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Private

gdrover is on a distinguished road

I agree. The AI is probably about average for a wargame these days. It gives you a good run for your money, but at the end of the day, a competent wargamer will probably win quite often.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

Herode is on a distinguished road

I played a few test games with both sides but mainly Japan. If yuo play Japan ans the sea-lanes victory condition, you will easily win : the AI doesn't know how to deal with this threat. I guess you wil have a harder time trying to win with Japan if you choose another victoey condition, like Survival.

OTOH, the game will be more interesting if you play Allies. Japan is on the offensive side during the first turns (1942 at least), Japan has more landing forces than you have, naval and air initial superiority. You will have to fight. Not a superior AI, but at least a challenging one.

Of course, modding the scenarios is also an option.