.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 12th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default A new spectacular multi-layer map!! Wanna try??

Yes, my map is finished. It's a fantastic map and I think 8-10 players should fit on it nicely.

(for those living here.. yes it's the one I was asking advice for.)

-multilayered map
-about 300 provinces
-The mountains on the "earth" part of the map are sticking through the clouds (you can see the tips of em on the "cloud" part of the map. The highest mountain sticks through a middle cloud layer up to the highest layer.
-Caves lead down or up in the earth, sometimes multiple levels
-Rainbows are a connection to the "cloud" levels
-Deep parts of the sea might lead to even deeper sea's under the earth.

I would like people to try the map a bit to check for errors. I played on it a bit and it seemed good.

This isn't what I intend to be the or a "final" version.
Things needed to be done:
-I keep reading about programs which make it so that only provs with 4 neighbours etc are used as starting sites. I'll look into that.
-I would like to create 2-3 startpositions with fixed races
(Vanaheim on top of the large mountain) Niflheim or Abyssia (but I read that the AI might not be good with Abyssia EA) each with a decently build Pretender + outfit and scales to match. The last would probably be sea based, I'm thinking MA R'lyeh (also with a nice Pretender and some outfit).
-Some special locations with a thuggish defender and a large number of troops (which preferably don't fluctuate like normal. These would most likely be on spots where you travel from "plane to plane"

and maybe later a new division in more provinces.

So that much for advertising etc.

Now my questions:
1. CAN YOU ALL PLEASE PLAY THE MAP (preferably mulitplayer (just cus it prolly gives more and faster insight to problems) but single player is great to of course.)

2. Do you see problems in the things I want to do with the map (can one set the races as I want too, and more specifically can you set races from different ages on one map. (the player should just be able to choose an age and go from there.. only those 3 players should have fixed race, pretender and start position))

3. Can you tell me which program will be best for making the nostart provinces for land based provs with < 4 LANDneighbours and seaprovs with < 3 SEAneighbours AND at least like 3-4 provs away from each other. (I think this is something pretty standard but I have no clue)

4. Can anyone of you help me with the whole scripting part?

5. Is there anyone who hosts maps or should I just attach it? (I'm doing this anyway (zip-ped) but no idea if it's permanent )

Attachment updated for the erroneous sea tags on land provs
Attached Files
File Type: zip 549341-Aezeal\'s Map.zip (4.27 MB, 1071 views)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A new spectacular multi-layer map!! Wanna try?

Aezeal - As I said elsewhere, I'm up for collaborating, etc. This map sounds cool. I'm hoping to post a map in a day or two, then I'll be out of town for a week. I'll certainly playtest your map and give you feedback. If you're up for checking out mine as well I'd appreciate it much.
Old September 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Lieutenant General

Sure if it's not an unreasonable large map I could certainly try a single player campaign on it. (Though I must say I might not see whole of the map cus if I have 50% of it I might call it quits the last part is boring and if you already have 50%.. not like you gonna lose anymore right.)

Anyway I'd read your reply in my other thread but I just made this thread to put the final version in a nice and tidy thread.

Another question I had based on things I want to do as described above:
6. Can you use a pretender + outfit as thug/spellcaster in a independant province? (I'm thinking a monolith with good casting abilities AND the spells surrounded by some lower level mages AND chaff to boost or just as fodder )

7. Can you make it so the strength of a independant province doesn't fluctuate (I want no easy shots at those thugs with equipment.

Any help in testing and answering questions will be much apreciated.

Aezeal
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:18 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

That's a neat map.

What kind of provinces are in the clouds and underground?

Pasha
Old September 12th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Lieutenant General

in clouds mostly nothing special, the mountains are mountain and with the rainbow it's farm, and some multi magic sites

under earth it's all cave or cave/swamp, cave/mountain, cave/bordermountain.

I must admit I never played in a cave so I have no idea if this is not fun or unbalanced for a race (if so that race might be the race I put there instead of Niflheim... but comp on niflheim shouldn't go wrong that fast if I make a pretender for him.. and having a comp send niflgiants at me just seemed fun . If I can/or someone can implement that for me then another advantage I want to give is a few large cities surrounding their capital.. but that is for later And they shouldn't be TOO strong cus in 2 steps your on "earth" from up the mountain and you don't want them at your door in 2 steps if they have a huge advantage.
(but for that I want to place someone halfway up the mountain anyway.. and on the rainbow leading DIRECTLY down to earth.)

Ideally there would even be only specific races as independents in the clouds and the upper cloud and lowest underearth thingie might become nostart provs any way.. to give comp room to explore and some room between players and normal AI and those "AI" with advantage.

But that is for later cus I dun even know how to make it so you get a start up with 1 human, 1 fixed vanaheim, 1 fixed rýhel or whatevern and the fixed niflheim and then adding AI's if you want. --> if you know.. tell me.. if you can script it for me.. even better.

anyway .. plz play the map as it is Pasha? and let me know what you think.
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

Agartha in a cave = love
Also would work nicely for several undead or night-vision oriented races.

Would love to provide feedback, though I'm currently trying to get two games started. I am picking up a small amount of map modding and commands along the way. If someone doesn't get around to you immediately, I'll be along in a while. Probably Sunday this week or next.

I will say I'm extremely interested in playing on this map.
Old September 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanks, I don't wanna screw up this map so I've started, and for graphics also finished a new one last 2-3 hours.. it actually looks much better since it doesn't use much "make-up" but just a few basic patterns which come with GIMP but which look better than just plan colors.

I did a wrap-aroudn cus demand seemed to be high for those.
I'll try to make the white dots tomorrow then I'll post it and try some things in the .MAP file for that one (I need less specific and difficult stuff for that one.

So: coming soon a
-wrap around
-mostly water!! (really should only play with water races)
map

Ow that reminds me it's VERY open now.. I need to use some seaweed as walls to create a few semi-choke points
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Lieutenant General

I see 39 DOWNLOADS.. NICE

I'm sure none have finished those campaingns yet but early feedback is appreciated too... let me know anything you want to tell me or others about this map.

Don't be shy!!

Advertising:
My watermap will be nice to once finished, watch the forum

Lazy: Yeha I figured I'd get that answer, I've not yet played agartha but to make them one of the main villains in the map.. I dunno they just don't have the... how ever you call it to be main villains..

Vanaheimwith an AllFather on top of Olympus coming down to rule the world appeals to me. Niflheim coming from under the earth with huge giants and crushing anything in their path too.. if I place Agartha there it just isnt'the same...
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Juzza is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but on the sorta middle layer (the normalish one) on one of the smaller islands over to the right side there are a few provinces that look like land provinces on the map but are in reality water provinces.

Dinnas'Arval Mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...nnas'Arval

Free Port:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...+nation&page=3

Currently working on:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...hlight=witcher
Inspired by the game The Witcher and the Witcher Novels.
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:25 AM

Lieutenant General

seriously? damn I'll have to change it then

corrected files will be uploaded now
Attached Files
File Type: zip 549619-Aezeal\'s Map.zip (4.27 MB, 229 views)