Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Opponents Wanted
Notices

Old July 13th, 2005, 10:07 PM

Private

danstudentvcc is on a distinguished road
Default Pyros! No, that\'s not what we are up to ... let me

Hello Pyros. Please allow me to explain.
SZO is going over to ratings. These ratings are for the whole website. You and I are near the top. The only results I have so far are for the SP section.
But Triaxe was 6th overall for the whole club. I have played SP games against him already.
Triaxe has a better record than me from his other ladders.

How can he sit behind me if his rating is higher than mine.
If the ratings are for the entire website then he should be ahead in SP and overall.

I only play SP, so does this mean that my higher rating from SP would go on the overall. If so then I would finish higher than people who have played over 100 games.
Have played there for 2 or more years.
Have contributed more than I have. Have more points than me.

So it didn't make sense to me that I could be rated higher than Siberian or Triaxe who had 3x my score and 3x my game completions just because I had won a small number of games leading to a better average.

I can't figure it out.. one rating? or several ratings?..
is there an overall?.. anyway...
I hope you understand. There were aliases with far more time and games, so surely I should not rank above them while I have significantly fewer points.

danstudentvcc

edit by Pyros:

Dear Gus,

Since this post is about pbem/ladder games, it is best to be under the pbem section.

cheers mate,
Pyros
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pyros! No, that\'s not what we are up to ... let me

Hi Gus,

I think that the score should reflect the skill of the player in a specific game.
I guess this is similar with any competitive sport.

Anyway, the score doesn't mean anything... what should mean a lot is how much you (each of us) enjoy playing this fine game (WinSPMBT & SP)!

BTW, I am a retired player from all competitive gaming...

cheers,
Pyros
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:36 PM

Private

Default Re: Pyros! No, that\'s not what we are up to ... le

Hello Pyros.
I have had some time to adjust to the new system of ratings at SZO. We are going to get 3 separate ladders. This is great news since the ratings would be as you said game specific. Rating skill is still a weak point. Not everyone plays balanced games or plays to win. Some are in it for fun aside from the occassional game for Win/Loss. This won't change. However, this new rating system proves to be quite different from all other ladders everywhere else. The ratings change from game to game not only because of your Game End Report of a win/loss/draw but additionally, from your opponents own ratings. This means that everyone's ratings are affected by all the aliases and all the games they have been playing against each other. Very new, very cool and very different.

Since they are also going to keep points from games it appears, it will still be possible for everyone to see how the senior players have amassed points from their own contributions gradually over time. In a sense this will still allow for an overall standing, except that there will no longer be an overall ladder.

Hope you come back to defend you 1st place rank. Viking and I are looking you over as potential roadkill for lunch supper and dinner. I rarely eat chicken though!! [hahahahah]

Gus
Danstudentvcc
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:25 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
danstudentvcc said:
Hello Pyros.
I have had some time to adjust to the new system of ratings at SZO. We are going to get 3 separate ladders. This is great news since the ratings would be as you said game specific.
I am still weighing the pros and cons of this and we are still awaiting final approval from the powers that be BUT I believe 3 ladders is the best answer. SPMBT, SPWW2 and SPWAW are very different games and each has its own loyal fanbase. In this way each can be free of the intermixing of versions/players among each ranking system. The SPWW2 ladder will be soley based on and compare SPWW2 end game reports.

This will also help me determine if there is enough interest to do tournaments and such with the various versions.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM

Private

Hello Double D.

Cool!
More tournaments and competitions and campaigns would be cool also!!

Yes, the games are sufficiently different. As well the authorship is different for each game as well.
Today, while going thru the emailed turns I found an email from an opponent. He only plays the WW1 to WW2 gaming period. As well, he only plays ASL and WAW as a result.

Lastly, separate ladders are cool since they also prevent aliases from constantly emailing one another challenges for games/period that they do not play. When everyone is on one ladder for all the SP games and versions it hard to remember who plays what.

A good day indeed for SZO to have an enlightened section leader at a time when all the SPCAMO Windows games are just becoming available.

Gus
Danstudentvcc
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM

Major

New tweaks to the WARS Ladder have been implemented. One of the newest and IMHO best features is that you can now check the current Ladder rankings based on how long its been since games were submitted. It recaulates the ladder rankings base don how far back you want to include game reports. These can be queried by 30 days, 90 days, 180 days, 1 year or 2 years.

All the medals and previous ladder format is also still available.
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

It doesn't look any differnt to me Double Deuce,everybody is still in the same list,it mentions that you can report sp:modern or sp:ww2,but no way to just view sp:modern or sp:ww2.
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM

Major

This is the part still in development. They'll have to break out 3 ladders (SPWAW, SPWW2 and SPMBT). Each will have a separate list once all the changes are complete. Unfortunately, breaking these out is not on a top priority at this piont in time. Right now they are concentrating on making sure its calculating correctly AND all the old format is incorporated for thise who prefer that layout.