This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old August 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you carry?

Special circumstances. I had to explain my actions to a judge and was cautioned not to fire any more warning shots.

troopie
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

Which would imply that next time you should stick to a verbal warning (normally ineffective) or just shoot the person in question. Tricky.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I have a CW permit and have had one since 91. I have carried on and off as needed since then. The one thing that comes to mind when you carry is that the responsibility to avoid conflict shifts squarely into your hands. You as the person carrying a firearm are made responsible for any situation you get into. Knowing you have a gun that could be used as a weapon give you tremendous responsibly that cannot be taken lightly. Those who get a high from carrying because they think it makes them powerful, or allow such a thing to go to their heads should have their license taken from them and be beaten with bat.

Carrying a gun makes you accountable for any action you take. If you get into an argument or altercation and pull that firearm without cause, or even if you do not and it is seen, you WILL most likely go to jail or at the very lest it will be confiscated and you WILL loose your permit. It has been my experience that most people who choose to carry often avoid any situation that might escalate into conflict. I would say that most even go so far as backing down from altercations that they normally would not do otherwise.

I have only had to pull my gun ONCE in my life and that was the scariest thing I had done up to that point. I knew that if the situation continued to worsen, as it was doing, I would have no choice but to end someone’s life. Thankfully the man saw reason, or God, which ever, and the situation was resolved without any one getting harmed.

I am lucky though; I have been around guns my entire life and know what they can be made to do. I have had training upon training upon training and still feel uncomfortable around them when around people who have had no training.

I support a national carry law because I think it is high time that the conceal carry laws between states be made uniform thus allowing a legal CW licensee to carry in any state they happen to travel through, including New York and Massachusetts.

This is not a gun debate, currently we have the legal right to own firearms and until the Democrats take that right from us, I feel any American who wants to own a gun, should do so and hopefully will consider taking a training and or safety class. No one wants to see his or her gun used to harm another.
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

"Deadly Force" is only justifiable when your LIFE or someone else is in question! You have the right to "keep and bear arms", not to freely use them. We'd have less problems with guns if we had more training for them.

I come across so many parents that have an anti-gun mentality. When I tell them that their 'bubble' world for their children is not possible and explain to them, should their child be involved with friends that had a gun (for whatever reason) wouldn't they want to know that at least one of them would know enough about gun safety to make a difference in the outcome of the situation! I don't get any more arguments from them...

Is there anybody from Australia out there? I'd like to know how their country wide gun ban is going? I hear it's not going well!
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why a common citizen have to carry a gun, a knife, a bat.....

Old August 11th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Major General

Jack Simth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FJ_MD said:
I don't understand why a common citizen have to carry a gun, a knife, a bat.....
It is better if the need is not present.
However, if the need is present (or has a "reasonable" chance of becoming present), it is better for the common citizen to have such than not.
Consider an area where the police response time is three minutes, and valiant bystanders are scarce. If someone pulls a knife and tells you to go away while he forcefully has his way with your wife, which would you prefer? The ability to shoot and kill him yourself immediately, or the ability to call for aid which will arrive in three minutes time who are willing to shoot and kill him - if not for the fact that he knows the local response time and finishes up and leaves and one minute prior to their arrival ... perhaps with your wife dead, perhaps not.

This of course assumes that everything runs smoothly for the comparison - that there are no areas where the police will not answer calls, that he would let you out of his sight to make the call, and that all police potentially involved are honest. If you carry and know appropriet use of a firearm, at worst you need a 10 second distraction to terminate the situation (and that individual, and any further situations he may have caused in like manner), areas where police will not answer calls (or that have longer response times) become mostly immaterial, and the police force can have a few compromised individuals without adding further risk to the life of your wife.

Here is a link to a (slanted) list of questions on the subject that can sometimes help people clarify their own positions on the subject (and also occasionally change a person's position).
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

They recently over turned a Manadory Flee law in Florida. The law mandated that when faced if a dangerous situation you were legally obligated to flee and call police. That you did not have the right to self defense. Thankfully the people of Florida saw the futility of this foriegn inspired run away law and made changes within their legal system to give people back their human right of self defense despite all the lies and bull**** thrown up against it.

Additionally criminals can nolonger profit from their crimes. Say some dumbass crack head breaks into your home and in the process of doing so is bitten by your dog. Say he is caught and then sues you for having been bitten by your dog. In the old days, the Florida law would hold you responsible for his injuries. Not any more.

We need more laws to protect the real victims of crime and not the crimals who caused the crime. Although the law is in place now that protects people from unwarrented prosecution for having defended themselves, they are still obligated by law not to use any force greater than that which is deemed nessassary to secure their safety. In other words, if some punk is yelling at you, you cannot shoot him. However if the punk has a knife and attacks you, well defend away if you can. On the flip side, if he has a knife, and you pull a gun, and he drops the knife and runs, you cannot shoot him in self defense. If you did shoot him, well that would be cause for criminal action.
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road

Let's try to see the thing from an higher level.

If you take isolated fact you seems to have all the right to possess and carry.

But take a general look at it. Do you think that if every citizen will carry a gun the security will be better?

Think about the past and you can have an idea. Remember that your liberty end when begin the liberty of another.

Anyway the problem here is another. In fact if the justice will work much better, less common citizen will think about to carry a gun. So this subject is clearly related to the internal security, that is related to the social situation, tha is related to........all is related to somethin else

Old August 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

This thread is just frightening... [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Cold.gif[/img] ...and reinforces me in trying to minimize my travels to the USA...

Sure, criminals with knives can be defended against by carrying a gun, but what about criminals carrying guns as well to keep up with everybody else?

Even worse is that people seem to be concerned that such crimes might really happen to them with a likeliness high enough to offset the trouble and danger of carrying a firearm. (And I did have had my share of firearms training as a soldier...) It is this "I-know-that-I-am-always-the-good-guy"-mentality that frightens me even more. I am of the arguable personal opinion that there is no such thing as universal-good and unviersal-evil. However, I think that it is less arguable that there is a proper likeliness of human misperception and mis-judgement, especially when under stress and pressure. But you cant take a chance if it is either them or you, right? After all, your criminal opponent might carry a gun as well, right? What about innocent cultural strangers that just happen to act differently?

So I am frightened. Maybe carrying a gun would make me happy again...trigger-happy...
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Crime here is no worse or better than any other place in the world that has a civilized culture. The problem in the US is that we have a meth epidemic coupled with a self esteme issue. To many kids are growing up without morals or values and all they care about is getting instant gratification without the guts or incentive to work for it. It can be said that a significant portion of the crime in America is drug related. Deal with the drug epidemic and well, crime goes down.

I have a permit to carry but I have not carried in over five years. So having the permit does not mean one will always carry. However, if I chose to carry at least I am legal to do so. Not that I would want to carry unless I was traveling.