.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:34 AM

Sergeant

Ewierl is on a distinguished road
Default Two bugs

Apologies if either of these have been posted before, but an automated search showed nothing, and I'm not going to hand dig through a 30+ post thread.

1) My commanders retreat from assassination attempts all the time. I recall a Dom2 patch removed that option (wisely), and it looks like it needs going again.

2) Magic-Path-9 blessing bonuses don't seem to be working, in the two cases I've tried. When my pretender had Water 9, my blessed troops and prophet didn't get Quickened, and when he has Earth 9, I'm not seeing a Protection bonus either. (The bonuses are listed correctly when I right-click the little "blessed" icon, yet the stats block hasn't changed.)

I am playing version 3.01 on Mac OS 10.4.8.
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Two bugs

Quote:
Ewierl said:
Apologies if either of these have been posted before, but an automated search showed nothing, and I'm not going to hand dig through a 30+ post thread.

1) My commanders retreat from assassination attempts all the time. I recall a Dom2 patch removed that option (wisely), and it looks like it needs going again.

You mean he add a "reatreat" order scripted, or did he retreat after taking a hit ?

For the second, dom3 has changed the way morale works, and lone commander can now fail a morale check and retreat, ... meaning instant death in assassination.

Quote:

2) Magic-Path-9 blessing bonuses don't seem to be working, in the two cases I've tried. When my pretender had Water 9, my blessed troops and prophet didn't get Quickened, and when he has Earth 9, I'm not seeing a Protection bonus either. (The bonuses are listed correctly when I right-click the little "blessed" icon, yet the stats block hasn't changed.)

I am playing version 3.01 on Mac OS 10.4.8.
Look at your blessed units action points, you will see them augment by 50%.

For earth blessing, think "enchanted armor" => units without (manufactured) armor don't get the +4 armor bonus

For sacred commanders, just equip them with any forged armor and you will see they get the bonus.

I love using "shroud of the battle saint" on non-sacred mage s with earth 9 blessing => less upkeep (sacred = 1/2 upkeep, cool for expensive mages), armor (body) 12 (8 base +4 blessing, enought for standard arrows), +4 revigoration (cool for combat casters), no penalty from this armor, +2 morale (can be sometimes useful), and any other bless bonus you could have
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM

First Lieutenant

calmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jack_Trowell said:
I love using "shroud of the battle saint" on non-sacred mage s with earth 9 blessing => less upkeep (sacred = 1/2 upkeep, cool for expensive mages)
I use the shrouds of battle saint as well. The descition in manual means they are blessed even if not sacred. They get the bless effect but should not get the sacred bonus for 1/2 upkeep. Are you sure, they only cost the half upkeep?
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Sergeant

Ewierl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jack_Trowell said:

You mean he add a "reatreat" order scripted, or did he retreat after taking a hit ?

For the second, dom3 has changed the way morale works, and lone commander can now fail a morale check and retreat, ... meaning instant death in assassination.

After taking a hit (or in some cases, when all bodyguards died). This is still a bug compared to how Dom2 used to work, IIRC; retreat was simply impossible during an assassination attempt. I definitely think the Dom2 way makes more sense- if someone's snuck into your tent to assassinate you, you either can't get away at all, or you can; there's no reason to a retreat to mean instant death.

Quote:
Look at your blessed units action points, you will see them augment by 50%.
If that's all that happens (I can't double-check, I deleted the game after it ended), then the game and manual's text are misleading; the spell-based Quickness effect also involves a attack/defense bonus and a second attack in combat. If the blessing provides "quickness" without providing the actual Quickness effect, something is either malfunctioning or mis-written.

Quote:
For earth blessing, think "enchanted armor" => units without (manufactured) armor don't get the +4 armor bonus

For sacred commanders, just equip them with any forged armor and you will see they get the bonus.
That does seem to work, though it's hard to tell for certain with the math of mixed natural/armor Protection and the way specific sources aren't listed in the Protection details.
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Extra action points does lead to extra attacks.

I don't think the bless effect gives the attack/defense bonus of the spell. That would be too much, on top of the +4 def from the W8 bless
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road
Default Is it just me ?

Mictipoctli the Mictlan national hero possess priest level 3 despite it clearly stating in his bio that he has lost his priestly powers but has gained unholy ones.

Playing early era.

In Dom 2 this hero also had a similar bug. Although he listed as having unholy priest powers none were available to cast by him in the orders lists.

C'mon guys !! give this hero some luvin and sort him out !!

Bugged accross 2 titles ! not good.

Spirokeat

Old November 14th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is it just me ?

Some possible bugs I found while testing for my worthy heroes mod:

Missing heroes:
Atlantis middle age:
Heroes seem to be disabled: They never showed up during a 1k turns testgame with luck3, which should be close to impossible statistically.

Agartha early age:
Deepthought seems to be intended as a hero, but he never shows up.

R'lyeh middle and late age:
Traitor king doesn´t show up, even though he fits thematically. In addition it seems as if the Spectator was intended as a hero, but he doesn´t show up either.

Mictlan late age: Quetzocouatl the Couatl doesn´t seem to show up, even though he fits thematically.

One oddity in addition to the one mentioned above:
Mictlan middle age: Eagle priest has blood magic even though blood magic is banned in that age.
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spirokeat said:
Mictipoctli the Mictlan national hero possess priest level 3 despite it clearly stating in his bio that he has lost his priestly powers but has gained unholy ones.

Playing early era.

In Dom 2 this hero also had a similar bug. Although he listed as having unholy priest powers none were available to cast by him in the orders lists.

C'mon guys !! give this hero some luvin and sort him out !!

Bugged accross 2 titles ! not good.

Spirokeat
Unholy isn't Death. There used to have different array of unholy spells, but now all priests have Holy levels. Undead with Holy magic can reanimate corpses and cast spells from a different spell list than normal priests, and are unable to preach - like the old unholy priests.
Old November 14th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Endoperez said:

Unholy isn't Death. There used to have different array of unholy spells, but now all priests have Holy levels. Undead with Holy magic can reanimate corpses and cast spells from a different spell list than normal priests, and are unable to preach - like the old unholy priests.
I may be misunderstanding you here Endo but I didn't think that Unholy was death. Mictipoctli in Dom 3 has standard holy magics (banish, bless etc) listed in his spell availability.

Hes undead and his bio says he has lost his priestly powers but gained unholy ones. Which as per Dom 2 and what I think you just said to me means he should have a different set of spell availability in his cast specific.

Spirokeat.
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spirokeat said:
I may be misunderstanding you here Endo but I didn't think that Unholy was death. Mictipoctli in Dom 3 has standard holy magics (banish, bless etc) listed in his spell availability.

Hes undead and his bio says he has lost his priestly powers but gained unholy ones. Which as per Dom 2 and what I think you just said to me means he should have a different set of spell availability in his cast specific.
I got what you meant, now. I was wrong. There's just holy magic now, so the priest spells that help undead are national (otherwise all priests could cast them). For some reason I was thinking that undead priests were still unholy mages, just shown as holy instead of unholy. Mictlipoctli can Reanimate undead, just as he should, and can't preach, due to being undead, but he doesn't have any undead-buff spells - which, I think, is what was intended.

Sorry for the confusion.