Notices

Old December 13th, 2011, 07:19 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about aircraft range finders

Test scenario

2010, USMC advance V Russia delay.

Test target array - about 30 BTR-70. Placed 2-3 hexes apart so no blast interference.
Scenario visibility 50.

USMC have an OP with GSR (to see everything) placed about 20 hexes in front of the array. He plotted the pre-game, but planes do their own targeting of course and delay is irrelevant as its a pre-game bombardment.

USMC test harrier - copied over, bombs deleted, ammo for 25mm increased to 40 in case several passes were needed.
FC - 15 (but targets stationary, so likely little effect)
RF - none, zero, zip
Vision - 20 (irrelevant as map visibility 50)

20 test harriers passes as a pre-game bombardment plotted all along the target array. Gold spots plotted, but not used. Hey diddle diddle - all passes straight across left to right, firing right into the front of the BTRs.

Test - let the pre-game pass happen and tot up the dead BTR. (damaged are ignored). 10 runs of the scenario.

Kills: 7,8,11,9,9,5,7,7,9,9 for an average of 8.1 kills, and 9 being the modal result.
Several more BTR-70 were damaged with 1-3 *s, and several immobilised, but not counted as kills, in each run.

So each harrier killed an average 0.405 BTR-70s for each 2 bursts of 25mm cannon fire. A 40% kill ratio per pass ain't bad. (If my maths are right of course )!

First shot to-hit was in the 58-65% mark usually, shot #2 was usually 65-75%.

So - I am bemused how you were getting only 2 kills out of a hundred passes - if I read your post right?

Andy
Old December 13th, 2011, 11:05 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

All I can say where those were the results I got.

I sometimes wonder if my problem is my computer.
Maybe the random number generation routine it uses is buggy.

I find the results I get in these tests pretty amazing myself.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

I am amazed how you got zero kills out of 200 passes. I haven't tested this, way too boring for me, but in normal situations, when my planes manage to survive, they always get at least a couple of kills each, depending on the target and system used etc. I have very bad results as USA but that is mostly because when I do I play against playe4rs who have some uber Russian systems and I am not allowed to use B2s. (B-1s I have yet to kill anything with lol). But, with F-22s, F-16s, F-15s, I tend to get kills when they survive.
When not playing as USA (most of the time), as long as there is no serious issue with air defense, I get some serious kills all the time. I have won PBEM campaigns thanks to planes, ie opponents asking to surrender. One thing I do not do though is use bombs that much. I tend to get missiles carrying planes.

Oh, and in a current PBEM campaign as GB vs PRC (late 50s), I have many Hunters and with their rockets they must have killed....plenty of enemy vehicles.

As I said, none of my experience is from experiments/tests, just regular PBEM campaigns.