.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Regarding the events:

There are 10 different triggers and 23 possible types of events (some of which must be used in conjunction with others because the affect the object created by the preceding event (e.g. renaming a commander), but let's take an example event that could be constructed:

A player (can be specified so that only one player, or many, or even all of them get this) arriving at a specific square (say Cloud Castle) gets a message that tells him to go to travel to the Pit of Doom to slay the Wyrm Glaurung and to bring back the Staff of the Archmagi to receive powerful allies as a reward.

Going to the Pit of Doom (a pit renamed by map commands) causes the player to fight the guards and when he conquers the square, an event gives him the Staff of the Archmagi. When he returns to the Cloud Castle, the presence of the staff with his troops triggers an event that creates a commander and number of troops who join the player's army.

And that's just scratching the surface.
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Corporal

Flop is on a distinguished road

Man, that sounds absolutely awesome!

Are there any scenarios in the game already, or is this just a framework for users to create their own?
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Vladikus:

Single player is challenging enough. Out of 10 games, depending on how careful you are and how lucky you are, playing against Knight level AI (power level 4 on a scale of 1-10), you can expect to win maybe two or three. A lot depends on how lucky the AI gets and if it survives the early game, where random instances of bad luck have a greater chance of wiping it out.

If a Knight AI gets out of the early game, it's liable to bury you up to your ears in stuff if you didn't manage to expand quickly. Depending on what class it plays, of course.

Note that a Knight level AI only gets a 50% income boost (the bonuses affect all income, gold iron and special resources, possibly also trade points). The reference level AI is Jester (level 2), which has no bonuses or handicaps.

Crank the AI up to Emperor (level 10), which has a 500% bonus to income and you won't know what hit you. Or you will, when you realize that the massive army you just barely defeated by the skin of your teeth was the lightly armed scouting foray moving ahead of the main force.

There's plenty of challenge, since each class has a separately programmed AI, so they can make the most of what they have and the level bonuses give them more to work with. E.g. if you play a Warlock against an Emperor Warlock, on your starting gem income you can make your first summon on turn 10. The Emperor AI will be making its first summon on turn 2. The power difference starts diverging fast...
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladikus View Post
I want to know how challenging and difficult the game is in single player. I enjoy facing superhuman odds and losing (thanks Nethack and DC: Stone Soup).
I don't think you'll have any lack of challenge. There are 10 levels of opponent difficulty. I currently play level 3 (the default) and I have a hard time staying up with independents and also holding opponents at bay with most classes.

EDIT - beat me to it Edi!
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Man, that sounds absolutely awesome!

Are there any scenarios in the game already, or is this just a framework for users to create their own?
Framework.

Creating a viable scenario is still going to be a lot of work. Comparably more so than map creation in Dominions 3. Depending on how much stuff (such as renaming squares) can be put into the map editor instead of needing manual text editing of the file, it could become easier than it is now. But the event stuff needs to be handcoded because there are too many variables for most of them.

There are a couple of map editor related requests that have been put forth to increase its user friendliness and ease of use, time will tell what will become of those.
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it as moddable as Dom 3 ? Cause mods are where the fun it at. Lately, basicly every stock i game i play, wether it be indie or "big name", stock content sucks donkeyballs.
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

ioticus is on a distinguished road

I'm still learning the game, but I'm having a real tough time beating the Jester (no bonuses) AI.
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
Is it as moddable as Dom 3 ? Cause mods are where the fun it at. Lately, basicly every stock i game i play, wether it be indie or "big name", stock content sucks donkeyballs.
The stock content here certainly does not suck donkey balls, since it is very much varied.

There is no modding support as of yet. Johan is on record here on this forum saying that there will not probably be modding capability at release, but that it may be added in a patch later. That's all we know.

But when you take the timeframe into account (release on February 20th), adding in modding capability and all the commands, syntax etc, testing that AND writing a manual on par with the game manual and map editor guide, I'm guessing you can take him at his word.

I could be wrong and if I am, you lot can forget about getting any more pre-release info from me, since I'll be too busy writing the damned modding manual to pay any attention to this place...
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

I sure hope you are right. Honestly, nothing can replace a modding community. We could create new units, artwork, leaders, spells, everything. If there is going to be no mod support, i will be greatly demoralized. In fact, i think i might only order the game once modding is in and the first "basic" mods are out. thanks for your efforts so far.
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think that the scenario Map commands will help fill the void at least for awhile. It seems to be that they are extensive enough that even Johan doesnt have a full idea of what is going to be possible. Im looking forward to what this community does with it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)