.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Illwinter Next Project

I have to say, I do like the concept and idea of the Unitgen mod of yours. I like were it is going. Well, Dominion 4 is a long way off, for now, I'll just enjoy all the mods that people have created for it.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by legowarrior View Post
I realize it is a ways away, but I'd like to see more control of the nations picked. Perhaps you equip units yourself (from a set list available to that nation) and have similar control over leaders and mages
You might have liked a game Im watching get set up now in one of the Dom3 IRC channels. Its done as a draft pick
Each of the nations unit slots are done in a round of picks. Pretender, then Recruit Everywhere Commander, Recruit Everywhere Troop, Cap-Only Commander, Cap-Only Troop, capitol site gem income, etc etc. Each nation is built into one big mod, and the game starts.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 20th, 2012, 02:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it'd be interesting if the game would have more dominion-neutral spots for longer. In my experience, there's little gradual change between two dominions. Your dominion falls sharply as you get to enemy lands, and vice versa.
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Map size would lead directly to that.
Ive enjoyed games on really large maps. There is less emphasis on claiming everything. Some wilderness stays intact. People spend time finding and moving toward each other. Scouting becomes more important. Some nations such as Caelum and Pangaea move from "sucky" into a fairly high position. It definitely makes a different game
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately you need the patience of a saint to endure a large map. I'm not criticising but personally I just can't cope.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:50 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Unfortunately you need the patience of a saint to endure a large map. I'm not criticising but personally I just can't cope.
Maps above 350 provinces take massive patience and one single turn can take multiple days especially for maps exceeding 500 provinces.
Maps of this massive size NEED to be using victory points otherwise the end game becomes boring for whoever is winning.

I can report of having enjoyed some great huge battles which will forever be great memories, so patience does provide some rewards. Also the computer opponent who provides the best late game spells outside and inside of combat is Neifielheim... so place him on the opposite side of the human players with extra starting provinces. Also Gandalf did some testing and found Formia is one of the best.
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I realize it is a ways away, but I'd like to see more control of the nations picked. Perhaps you equip units yourself (from a set list available to that nation) and have similar control over leaders and mages.
Sounds like little bit of the old dos classic game from SSI; Sword of Aragon. Every army units you have to equip - quite fun actually.

I can recommending that you try the game. It's a gem.
It runs out-of-box with dosbox/DBGL.

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilock_Dominus View Post
Quote:
I realize it is a ways away, but I'd like to see more control of the nations picked. Perhaps you equip units yourself (from a set list available to that nation) and have similar control over leaders and mages.
Sounds like little bit of the old dos classic game from SSI; Sword of Aragon. Every army units you have to equip - quite fun actually.

I can recommending that you try the game. It's a gem.
It runs out-of-box with dosbox/DBGL.
I don't think I've played that one. I just remember how much fun it was to make my own ships in Master Orion 1 and 2.

Still, there is Fallen Enchantress out now. After I am done with the dozens of games I have to play, I might go for that.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Still, there is Fallen Enchantress out now. After I am done with the dozens of games I have to play, I might go for that.
"out now", as in, there's a Beta, and no release date?

What are the "dozens" you have to play, I haven't found much since I got Dom 3 a couple years ago? (But I'm SP only, maybe that makes the difference.)
Old May 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Lets see, Morrowind,Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Cybermancy, Civilization 5, Sins of a Solar Empire, Age of Empires 3, Neverwinter Nights 2 (with Icewind Dale mod), Dungeon Defenders, War Winds (it kind of works on my computer), might try to beat Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, Planescape Torment, Sword of the Stars, Quest for Glory 2, 3 and 4 (1 I beat!), Warlords Battlecry 3 (enjoyed the game but I never beat the campaign). I think that covers most of the games. I'm sure I'm missing a few though.

Oh, and Warlock came out with a demo, so there is that too. And the new Tribes Game.