.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Private

alansmithee is on a distinguished road
Default Warhammer: Wood Elves

Before talking about the mod, I'd like to thank Thilock_Dominus for allowing me the use of his graphics from his Dominions 2 mod, and also offering to design a banner for this one (which turned out great in my opinion). And graphical inconsistencies/ugliness is due entirely to my clumsy editing of his originals, which were great. Also, I am using numerous place holder images (glade riders, wind hawk riders, wind hawk rider champion, treekin, force of nature) which will be replaced. There's also a couple of units (shadow sentinel and royal eagle come to mind) which I hope to upgrade later. But since the mod rules are functional, I wanted to start getting feedback. This is my first mod, and is probably quite unbalanced. It should be balanced against (and compatible with) the other Warhammer nations, which I think are generally also balanced against the regular MA nations. Any comments, critiques, or advice would be more than welcome.

A few things about design philosophy. First, I tried to stay as close as possible to the Wood Elf army book. I was also working to create a general baseline elf stat line. What that ended up being is a boosted defense, attack, precision, and AP. This came at the expense of str and hp. I still think the elves are better stat-wise (as they should be), but hopefully the cost will help keep a balance. Also, because of Warhammer rules, archery isn't as devestating (nor is being unarmored in general). The only elf unit that has actual armor is the wild riders, and none have shields. In WH, distance, formation (skirmishers, which elves mostly are), and cover mitigate archer damage. Dominions has essentially 3 protections against archery, and the only one elves really have (based on the army book) is magical. With that in mind, I decided to give one unit true shields (and hopefully costed them enough), and added two pseudo-shields to a couple other units to simulate the protections afforded them in the warhammer rules. Now, I'm particularly worried about one unit in question (the wardancers) being too strong based on their dodge shield, but I think with the cost, low hp, and lack of any other protection they will hopefully be ok. Also, as the premier archers in WH, I gave them a base bow that is extremely strong. However, all units otherwise have very low dmg weapons (outside of charges).

So I hope people enjoy this, and give me feedback. This is VERY early in the testing, so I'm more than open to other ideas or suggestions.

edit: Unit list is pretty much set. Might add windriders back in later (code is there), but that depends on my modeling, and also if I can think of a battlefield role for them. All "forest spirits" now get a forest shape (treekin, force of nature, wild riders + commander, dryads). Orion tuned down a bit, and added a new hero. Wardancers cheaper (still trying to get the balance right on them).

edit: New version, more bug fixes, spellweavers changed, added female tag to seducer. Still graphics need work, I'll try to get some work in later (vacation ended sooner than expected). Attachment 9186
Attached Files
File Type: zip woodelves15.zip (135.2 KB, 684 views)

Last edited by alansmithee; January 5th, 2010 at 06:15 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alansmithee For This Useful Post:
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

kianduatha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer: Wood Elves

Coolio. Initial impressions:

Waywatchers are devastating with their glamour, 36 defense and immunity to arrows. Quite killable, though.

Dryads are scary because they are a recruitable with fear. They're even scarier, though, because they share the same unit number as Orion, King of the Woods. So whenever they leave the forest they become immortal badasses.

Treekin should probably also look like trees(and seem way too powerful for their low cost), and Warhawk Riders should probably fly. Glade Riders and Warhawk Riders should also probably only have 9 hp as well.

I have to applaud you, by the way, on the Force of Nature. It's absolutely terrifying. Ugh, Blood Vengeance on a 150 hp murdermachine who has perfect paths for Strength of Gaia.

It seems like you don't terribly need an armored unit other than the Wild Riders. The parry shield works wonderfully on Wayfarers, and various forest creatures work for your high protection needs. Not to mention just casting Wooden Warriors on your guys.

All in all, very nice. I'm looking forwards to seeing how this one pans out. I am also looking forward to playing against these guys and burning out their forests. Just think of casting Firestorm on a Wood Elf army.
The Following User Says Thank You to kianduatha For This Useful Post:
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:08 AM

Private

alansmithee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianduatha View Post
Coolio. Initial impressions:

Waywatchers are devastating with their glamour, 36 defense and immunity to arrows. Quite killable, though.

Dryads are scary because they are a recruitable with fear. They're even scarier, though, because they share the same unit number as Orion, King of the Woods. So whenever they leave the forest they become immortal badasses.

Treekin should probably also look like trees(and seem way too powerful for their low cost), and Warhawk Riders should probably fly. Glade Riders and Warhawk Riders should also probably only have 9 hp as well.

I have to applaud you, by the way, on the Force of Nature. It's absolutely terrifying. Ugh, Blood Vengeance on a 150 hp murdermachine who has perfect paths for Strength of Gaia.

It seems like you don't terribly need an armored unit other than the Wild Riders. The parry shield works wonderfully on Wayfarers, and various forest creatures work for your high protection needs. Not to mention just casting Wooden Warriors on your guys.

All in all, very nice. I'm looking forwards to seeing how this one pans out. I am also looking forward to playing against these guys and burning out their forests. Just think of casting Firestorm on a Wood Elf army.
Thanks for the input. Dryad shapechange was a late addition, only has fear in the forests. I thought mounted units usually have higher hp (also in the tabletop game, Warhawk riders actually have 2 wounds). And there were a couple errors (as you found out) on some costs from when I was testing spells, which are now fixed (was supposed to be 15, not 5 gems for 3 treekin). Also bumped up the cost on waywatchers, dryads, and bradwraiths.
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Awesome, I'll take a look as soon as I'm able. I might also have some suggestions for editing the missing sprites.

Just out of curiosity, how did you decide to play out the relations between Bretonnia and Wood Elves? In WRFB, those two have it very.. complicated.
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh man. Orion. This guy is just a bit much, don't you think? This guy is pretty much the ultimate sc/anti-sc, and you don't even need to give him any gear if you keep him in dominion.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

The mod will crash on linux. You must use the same case in all filename on the harddrive and in the *.dm file (best to keep everything lowercase).
Old December 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I think you mean linux will crash on this mod ;P
Old December 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM

BANNED USER

Tollund is an unknown quantity at this point

I like it except for the earsplitting sound that the elven bows use.
Old December 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
I think you mean linux will crash on this mod ;P
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old December 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Corporal

Radio_Star is on a distinguished road

Messed around with it for a few minutes and noticed the following:

Area fear attack on the summonable riders = iwin button. 1 round of combat drops everything in front of these guys to around -20 or lower morale and then the routing starts. If memory serves, the spell is something like 15 gems and produces around 15 guys each causing area fear. Twice. At 15 gems you can spam multiple copies of this and probably instarout even large armies.

Unicorns keep full slots if GoR'd.

The only hero that popped up for me was a generic multihero. Not sure what's going on with that.

All in all, they already feel pretty diverse and interesting to play. Are there pretender chassis in our future? Any other national spells?