Old January 17th, 2003, 03:04 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road
Default Mythology

Quote:
Originally posted by E. Albright:
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
Its also true that celtic mythos invented high fantasy elves isnt it? The Sidhe??
IIRC, the Nordic/Teutonic/Gemanic/what-have-you Alfar also factor into what we view as generic "high fantasy" elves.

E. Albright

Yep, that's what I recall as well.

Wanna hear about the Sidhe? Well, I'm glad you asked! <evil snicker>

According to Irish myth, the Tuatha de Danaan once ruled Ireland, having driven off the Fomorii (or Fomorach) to claim it. Mythologists vary in their opinions, but most stories portray the Tuatha de Danaan as humans that had achieved such wisdom and knowledge as to have transcended into something a bit more evolved - not really divine, just super-human.

After a time, a new group of people, the Milesians, came and had a great battle with the Tuatha de Danaan. They were able to land on the isle and achieve the success they did because their bard, Amairgen, invoked the land itself as well as the link living things (including humans) have with all other living things. In doing so, he bonded the Milesians and their Irish descendents to the land forever.

Knowing the land had chosen its own people, the Tuatha de Danaan left for the Otherworld after the first bloody battle. They were still hopeful that, someday, they might return and reclaim their land. Because of that, the early Irish were always on the lookout for their workings.

There were odd round hills (sidhe, which is pronounced "shee" or "sh-eye", depending on your regional accent) that acted as portals to the Otherworld when the moonlight was right. A tunnel would appear where none had been before. If you entered it and followed it through the hill, you'd come out the other side . . . but you would emerge into the Otherworld. You could reverse the process, but only if you were quick enough to get back before the moon changed. Time passes differently and unpredicably in the Otherworld!

Anyway, the Tuatha de Danaan became known first as the Fear Sidhe and Bean Sidhe (Men of the Hills and Women of the Hills) and eventually just as Sidhe. Some of the Sidhe still dealt with normal humans in one way or another (including Lugh, who fathered (well . . . that's a long story) the great hero, CuChulainn.) The feast of Lughnassa is held in his honor, partially to celebrated the skills that resulted in the year's harvest (he was the master of all skills) and partially as a sort of "bribe" to keep the powerful figure happy and less likely to cause trouble.

Once they entered their existence in the Otherworld, the Sidhe used their arts to become ageless. Unfortunately, their stories were not quite so permanent. As time went by, and especially after the arrival of Christianity made such "backwards" beliefs unpopular, or even dangerous, to carry on, new Versions of the Sidhe emerged.

Eventually, they became the Faeries (from the "fey" or "fair" folk) and figures such as the Morrigan became the "banshee". Even Lugh (a favorite figure of mine) became Lughcronin, or the Lephrecaun. Once a mighty hero and master of all human crafts, he became a goofy tourist icon. Is that progress?!? Sheesh . . .
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Sergeant

Solar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mythology

Thanks for the informative and entertaining post, psi. I did research on faeries when I was planning Lunamist, but I didn't uncover most of that information. I also tried to find a physical description of the otherworld, but no luck there.

Solar
Old January 17th, 2003, 03:44 PM

Sergeant

Sniper is on a distinguished road

wow! that was a great post psi! dead impressed
Old January 18th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I'm glad y'all liked it. I was worried I was going on a bit! I'm afraid I can talk about Celtic mythology, especially the Irish matter, until just about anybody is ready to cry "enough!"

Solar, one thing about the Celtic Otherworld is that it almost seems to be a different place each time it is visited. It is sometimes called Tir na n'Og (Land of Youth, or Land of Youthful Beauty), and is portrayed as being much like a timeless and supernaturally beautiful Version of our own world.

There are other terms for the Otherworld, such as Tir na mBan (Land of Women), Tir na mBeo (Land of the Living, or the Living Land), Tir Tairnigiri (Land of Promise), and so forth. It varies a LOT from story to story and visitor to visitor.

Really, I think you might want to look more to the Grecian depictions of Hades for an Underworld appropriate to Lunamist. The amazingly beautiful and timeless Tir na n'Og is a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to adventure there.
Old January 18th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Sergeant

Solar is on a distinguished road

Good point, Psi. I don't think I could make terrain any more beautiful than what I have already. I'm at the limits of my artistic skill. Grecian Hades, eh? Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can find about it.

In other Lunamist news, I made some angelic beings. Equivalent to demons, but they can only harm ethereal creatures. I'd better stop there before I get this thread off topic.

Solar