.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 8th, 2006, 01:52 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My Mictlan strategy: okay, but needs work

Don't send pure jaguar warriors, keep some slaves around the front to soak up hits. Moloch cannot solo. Your best bet is to keep some slow units near the very back on hold and attack and thus he won't rout.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:55 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rathar said:
I have a question regarding the f9 bless and jaguars and what I am doing wrong..

I wanted to check it out so I made a moloch pretender with f9, built a pile of jaguar warriors on the first turn and on the second turn sent them and my whole army at an independent (set at level 9 as thats the game I am practicing for is at) which only had medium infantry.

My jaguars got blessed, charged at the enemy, killed a few of em and were then annihilated to a man with no problem by the indy infantry.

What am I missing/doing wrong? Is it that I only had 8 or so of them and thus need a few turns of build before I have an effective pile or..? I mean, flaming weapons are cool and all but protection 4 is well, weak!

Or perhaps it is that for this game we are not using the CB mod? Yes yes we are dorks for not using it but thats the way its going to be.

Any advice would be handy!

Rathar

Oh and also.. Htf does one make a moloch an independent province killing machine? My experience is that he enters a battle, makes 2 imps, they charge and die and he retreats every time.
Jaguar warriors are not the best troops for expanding due to their tendency to die, they are at their best used against other players, where the massive casualties they can inflict matter. However, if you throw on another bless (like n9 or w9) and build up a critical mass of them they can expand ok too.

As for the moloch, either use him for fire darts army support early, or if you want to solo him stick a crippled infantry in the far back on hold and attack (single archer squads set to fire can also be used).
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Those are both excellent answers!

Rathar
Old September 8th, 2006, 10:36 AM

First Lieutenant

Oversway is on a distinguished road

FoB with f9w9b4 (or b9 if you like) can beat nearly any independants with 10 jags and some slaves to distract archers and/or lance equipped troops.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Also some eagle warriors set to hold and attack (or just attack if you have alot of them) archers can help. To make the moloch a true indy smasher alone is very hard but with just 2 or 3 archers deployed very far back set to fire closest he is less likely to rout. Boots of quickness (or water 1 if you have points) really help as do reinvig. Just script him to fire darts, fire darts, fire darts, fire darts, fire darts, cast spells (replace first darts with quickness if he has w1) and scale up to falling fires later on. Th reason for fire darts is extra shots with each level.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Man, w9 is such a powerful bless. I was going to try and argue that e9 would be better because I believe protection is better than defence (in most cases), but that quickness bless is just too useful. Also, the reinvig bonus would be wasted on Mictlan's lightly armored troops. They don't live long enough to use it.

I guess others explained it well already, but f9 blessed Jaguar warriors are not good for taking on larger armies, because they are vulnerable. They are good for killing things quickly, but you still need a large number of them. All it means is you pick a watchtower as your castle, so you can start building lots of them. I prefer the eagle warriors, myself, but I'm always getting the Air Priest or the Quetzicoatl heroes to lead them into battle, because of my high luck.

=$=
Old September 8th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Extra protection would be worthless on jags/eagles anyway due to their low base prot.
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

Manuk is on a distinguished road

I recently made a f9w9a6 mictlan bless with horrible scales (can be a little worse) but I didn' spread my dominion .
Even eagle warriors kick *** they attack archers and routers exterminating what jaguars left.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's true that Mictlan is set up beuatifully for a bless strategy. Their holy units are cheap enough that you can crank them out with poor scales. Imagine what it will be like in Dom3 when the economy is doubled...

=$=
Old September 9th, 2006, 12:03 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BigJMoney said:
Yeah, it's true that Mictlan is set up beuatifully for a bless strategy. Their holy units are cheap enough that you can crank them out with poor scales. Imagine what it will be like in Dom3 when the economy is doubled...

Keep in mind sacreds are still limited by dominion strength and building another fort to pump sacreds is much harder.