.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM

Private

weimaar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will there be a Dominions 4

Hi guys, every 6 months or so, i wake up and wonder if there would be or is any development on Dominions 4. So here i go again. Kristoffer, Edi, will there be a Dominions 4?

I would pay 150 USD for a copy of Dominions 4. On the spot. Here and now. And im sure many many of the users here would do that as well. So lets make a quick calculation. It wouldnt take longer than 1 year to fix a dominions 4 for a 4 man team since most of the balancing is already made. Lets say that 1000 persons payed 100 USD right here and now in advance, and another 50 USD upon recieving the product, then the 4 man team would get a salary of 25000 USD/year and a bonus of 12500 USD upon completion of the product. Naturally, not a perfect salary, but a salary that one could live on to pursuit a hobby?! The question is, do we have a 4 man team, do we have the 1000 that would pay the 150 USD?

Last edited by weimaar; December 1st, 2008 at 03:03 PM..
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I would jump in. I have 5 owned copies of Dom3.

But Im afraid that the devs have often said that they do it for the fun, not the money. The devs have moved on and are working on a new fun project. So we would have to come up with enough to get someone else to try and write a Dom4.
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:08 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I would jump in. I have 5 owned copies of Dom3.

But Im afraid that the devs have often said that they do it for the fun, not the money. The devs have moved on and are working on a new fun project. So we would have to come up with enough to fly Johan and Kristoffer to Aruba, where they would be waited on hand and foot by beautiful island girls, while they have fun making Dom4.

Interesting, Gandalf, sounds a lot like the solution that I had in mind.
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM

Corporal

zlefin is on a distinguished road

i too hope for a dom4, though i feel it may yet be a bit too soon for it. even if illwinter doesn't want to make dom 4 themselves, they could grant the rights to someone interested in doing so (they'd probably want some creative and other control so nobody hurts their great creation), but it should be doable.
I know i've got the time to, but i'd have to have doubts about my reliability
I think in 2-6 years would be about the right time for a dom 4. though work would of coruse have to start somewhat before that.

what exactly would we all be looking for in a sequel anyways?
Zlefin
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

UI improvements, a pluggable strategic AI, and a more granular tactical AI. (That is, scripting how many gems to use, whether to prefer offensive or defensive spells, special preferences for/against certain spells, etc.) The rules of the game should stay essentially the same or else you get the "MOO 3" phenomenon where the sequel really isn't.

-Max

P.S. That said I am just as happy to have KO/JK working on their "new IW project" instead of Dom4. Hopefully the end result will be full of crazy ideas and opportunities for treachery.

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]

Last edited by MaxWilson; December 1st, 2008 at 09:05 PM..
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Dominions 4 means code written from scratch, so it's a huge difference. Dom3 was just remade and improved Dom2. But to get many new things, better UI etc we really need new code. That's probably what scares JK most I'd say Dom4 will be in 2011-2012.

LA Agartha guide
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:02 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It might be easier for a new programmer to recreate a Dominions from scratch. I would like non-linear AI (each nation having a personalized AI). And random AIs strategies such as once playing offensive, then next time defensive, researching, barbarian horde, flanking, stealth, etc.

And of course the things on the wishlists. Server wishlist, maps wishlist, general wishlist, modding wishlist. In that order altho of course that just my own preferences
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Gandalf:

I don't think there is any chance for Illwinter to give community rights to Dominions or a project coming to make Dom clone [unless Illwinter will say there won't be next Dominions version, but I doubt it].

LA Agartha guide
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:41 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

A dominions RTS would be pretty cool, but the problem with RTS games is that the balance is much more on edge. Because of the fast pace and smaller number of players, if a race is overpowered then its a much bigger issue. I play a lot of CoH, and while Relic pays a lot of attention to it compared to many devs, there are still major balance issues 6 months after the release of the expansion.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:42 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

What I had most recently read, was not a condemnation of another iteration of Dominions - merely that it was not the next offering to be made from Illwinter.

I do believe the word "break" was used, in the temporal sense, rather than the permanent.

That said, I can hardly imagine they'd want to work a deal that allowed them creative oversight - the video game industry seems to be the worst at actually staying true to the creator's vision, even when said creator is allowed to be in the same room.