This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 5th, 2008, 11:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Out Of Range Error

Can you have a duel install of both windows XP and Vista?
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:48 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

I'm not up to speed on Vista. I would think that you can, BUT knowing mickysoft, both programs will want to control the system. You could probably do it by partitioning your hard drive and installing XP on D: part. and then install Vista on C: part. You might have to edit the .ini file in the root directory to accept either program at boot and specify/choose the default OS and how long of a wait to make a decision on which OS to choose (on boot, you'll have to choose an OS). You'd have to ask someone who's more familiar with Vista.
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Knowing Microsoft, they made the OSes continue the long tradition of installing side-by-side in dual boot configurations, and not "controlling the system." Ever since NT 3.0, Windows has worked fine in dual+ boot setups. It was only the Win9x and earlier lines that were designed to take over the system with a single-OS boot loader. However, MS even made it possible to dual boot them, if you installed an NT OS afterwards so the multiboot capable boot loader would be loaded into the MBR. The Windows NT installers automatically detects other MS operating systems and configures itself.

Apparently there is some issue with XP deleting Vista system restore points during boot, however. There is a workaround involving installing on separate drives, instead of just partitions.

If you want to dual-boot alternative OSes (like Linux), you have to install a different boot loader (eg: GRUB), however. Even in that case, Windows will happily run in its own world when you boot into it, and not do anything to sabotage the other OS install.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Can you have a duel install of both windows XP and Vista?
There are programs that allow for use of multiple operating systems on the same pc. You can switch between operating systems instantly with a click of a mouse and share files. I can't remember the name of the program my brother uses but I could shoot him an email to ask if you are interested? Requires a really good processsor (at least dual core to work right) but sounds like you have a kick pc and should be no problem.
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanks guys for all the great info and stuff. I had considered the option of adding a second HD to the system but wasn't sure how to go about using it as a bootable drive for VISTA. I would like to be able to select between the OS I run. If VISTA is stable now and has mature drivers I might have made a huge mistake by going with XP.
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

rstaats10 said:
"There are programs that allow for use of multiple operating systems on the same pc. You can switch between operating systems instantly with a click of a mouse and share files."

Sounds like an emulator, probably Virtual PC or VMware. Note that this works fine for regular programs, but is very problematic for gaming; until very recently, no emulator actually had any sort of emulated 3d video card. VMWare now has one, but it is still very primitive.

Atrocities said:
"I had considered the option of adding a second HD to the system but wasn't sure how to go about using it as a bootable drive for VISTA. I would like to be able to select between the OS I run."

With any recent NT based OS, you simply select the drive you wish to install to (can be literally any drive), and it will set up the boot loader with any detected installations of MS OSes automatically. You will then get an extra loading screen when you power on the PC, with a list of available OSes (and a 30 second timeout by default). The last OS you install will be the default choice, but you can edit this however you like with the MSConfig.exe app.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thank you for this information Fyron. It is extremely helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your comments. You guys make coming here worth it each and every day.
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

If you have the bucks for a new drive then that would be easier than partitioning. You should have SATA drives which will make it a breeze. Most new mobo's still take IDE connections too!