BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old October 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
A March 2012 report in the magazine Air Forces Monthly suggested that some of the 72 ex-British Harrier-IIs might fly again; the USMC planned to equip two squadrons with the latter GR.9/9A models due to the well maintained condition of the airframes at RAF Cottesmore, where the aircraft were stored and maintained following their retirement.

I guess this means you don't look at the game USMC OOB very closely...
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:50 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

When I first reported on this awhile ago, I was asked if the USMC might use the the UK HARRIERS for more then spare parts and my response was along the lines of "it might be possible but..." I think most know what the "but" was as posted in this thread somewhere. Someone out here knows very well what NAVAIR does and what it's responsible for when it comes to both USN and USMC aviation. There is no information to support the USMC is flying or has assigned any UK HARRIERS to any USMC SQD.

From June this year...
"The sale of these [aircraft] supplies critically needed AV-8B aircraft parts," NAVAIR says. "Many of these parts are obsolete with no source of manufacture. As a result, the USMC has realized an immediate improvement in readiness."

But contrary to media reports, the USMC never had any intention of flying the British jets. Nor did the service ever consider replacing the Boeing F/A-18D fleet with the GR9. "The USMC operation of UK Harriers was not under consideration," NAVAIR says.

Here's the full article and there's more.
http://rpdefense.over-blog.com/artic...106658423.html

With the NAVAIR website...
1. Not listed on under Fixed Wing aircraft.
2. Search result for UK Harriers...No Results Found.
3. Search result for GR 9 Harrier...About 8 hits for the
AV-8B II.
4. Search result for Harrier...I think it was 33 all concerned with the AV-8B/II to include SQD. deployments.
5. Searched 36 pages of NAVAIR and associated commands "PAO" press releases back to 5/21/2010. with no results. Did learn that AV-8BII has successfully flown on a bio fuel, PMA-257 that is in charge of maintaining the USMC Harriers got a new CO very recently and that I might've missed the below news along with the fact it illustrates the point of this exercise.

Found this along the way USMC retired the CH-53D end date change might be required...
http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm...sStory&id=4920

With the HARRIER flying until 2030 this was the only viable option to buy well maintained Harriers for spares with the exception of Spain that had theirs updated I believe last year or 2010 in the U.S. There were also many stories around the time of and in the early stages of the sale that many of the UK airframes suffered from structural fatigue issues. Some was reported by UK MOD and supposedly mostly repaired during the last upgrade period that brought the GR.7 to the GR.9 standard
~2007/2008. I feel these later stories were a "cover" to soften the issues of the price the USMC was able to buy them for.

If NAVAIR doesn't say they're flying...they're not.

I've liked the HARRIER since I was well...a little younger and that was the UK version of course back then. There was an excellent book written on the UK HARRIERS in the Falklands War by a SQD. Leader that I believe got two kills there. Might be posted somewhere in the thread where the HARRIER posts are.
The HARRIER remains one of the best Ground Attack aircraft out there in both it's last UK versions and currently as the AV-8BII and I have to say Spains new version as well.

Regards,
Pat
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:33 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I mentioned it because they ARE in the OOB, and shouldn't be.

I know the patch was released in March when the possibility of equiping some squadrons with them was being considered.

Since then NAVAIR has spoken, and as Pat said, they have the final say on what flies and what doesn't in the USN/USMC.

##########

First time I saw a Harrier was about '77-'78 when I watched a truck pull out of the tree line into a small clearing and lay a few sheets of runway matting out.
Then a Harrier passed overhead, came to a hover, and landed.
A fuel truck came out of the tree line and refueled it.
After another truck rolled out and loaded it with ordenance.
Then it took off, straight up.
Finally truck #1 picked up the runway matting.

Whole process start to finish was maybe 15 minutes.

It's REALLY hard to bomb or shell an airfield that only exists for 15 minutes at a time.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Suhiir; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:42 AM..
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Lieutenant General

See Post #96 for background...one of the guys that helped me as mentioned was a MiG-29 pilot with the LSV/LK of the DDR. Steve currently serves as a Lt Col. in the Luftwaffe Reserve flying something called a EUROFIGHTER . He was also very helpful in my "Warsaw Pact Project" and had recently sent me these pictures that I have his permission to post here and for you Don, to use if you wish for the East German OOB. Steve took these himself and you can get the details off the website from the above mentioned post for you photo hounds. Search the web all you want and I promise you won't find better pictures of DDR aircraft out there at least from my searches. First up is the MiG-23BN which was the only LSK/LV aircraft flown as a Fighter-Bomber which is what the MiG-23BN was designed for. I (We) hope you'll enjoy them and as I requested these, thank you Steve for sending them on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-23_001_sp_web[1] (2).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	12071 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-23_004_sp_web[1] (2).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	12073

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-23_002_sp_web[1] (2).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	12072 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-23_003_sp_web[1] (2).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	12075

Name:	SP_GND_MiG23BN_1990_001_72dpi[1] (2).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	12074

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 7th, 2012 at 02:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Again Post #96 is the reference point, especially for the next set of pictures of the LSV/LK DDR MiG-29A which was unsuccessfully tested for use as a Fighter Bomber by the DDR.
Though a potent Interceptor especially in a close in dog fight, it's main issue was it's lack of range and that it was a maintenance hog. But when "all was right with he world" it ranked among the best in the world. Most of these would fly with the Luftwaffe after reunification and continue to fly currently in two Fighter SQDs. of the Polish Air Force. The Luftwaffe would upgrade these to the MiG-28G variant that improved its abilities as an Interceptor and made it NATO compliant. What's important here are these, again taken by Steve. First up the DDR years enjoy...

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_001_sp_web.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	12076 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_002_sp_web.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	12077

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_003_sp_web.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	12080 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_004_sp_web.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	12078

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_005_sp_web.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	12079

Regards,
Pat
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:47 PM

Lieutenant General

I accidentally a couple of years ago figured out how to
"trick" this program to allow me to download more pictures, it's one of those "I wish I would've written it down." moments. Tonight a "tail end charlie" and the Luftwaffe MiG-29G. Again Post #96 and from Steve.

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_006_sp_web.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	12082 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_008a_SP_72dpi.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	12083

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_009_sp_web.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	12084 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_011_sp_web.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	12085

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_012_sp_web.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	12086

Regards,
Pat
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:25 AM

Lieutenant General

This is it for the picture gallery, we hope you enjoyed them as they are a rare find and the MiG-29A/G is a good looking bird in the air and sitting on the ground. Don feel free to use the DDR MiG-21 picture if you want. Generally a little difficult to find in of itself, you'll see two pictures of the MiG-29UB two seat trainer from the DDR in the last two pics. Again go to Post #96 for further info and to see other pictures not shown here click on the Wehrmacht website link. And Don, Steve has some great shots of the DDR
Hind-24D and P helos over there. If interested let me know.
First another "Tail End Charlie" DDR MiG-29A aerial shot, then the DDR MiG-21, LUFTWAFFE MiG-29G Camo etc. Again Enjoy and have a great day! And since my "project" he might "seek a peek" thanks Steve for the use of these pictures!!

Name:	SP_AIR_MiG-29_007_sp_web.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	12091 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_MiG-21_001_sp_web.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	12092

Name:	SP_MiG-29_010_sp_web.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	12093

Name:	SP_MiG-29UB_001_sp_web.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	12094 Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_MiG-29UB_002_sp_web.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	12095

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; October 11th, 2012 at 03:32 AM..
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:40 AM

Lieutenant General

Well in preparing some notes for the A-10, I rechecked my ref here and right now don't feel like logging there now to unlock the article. However in our continued efforts to disengage, cut back, retire and just depart in general the trend in Europe continues. I already in the MBT post noted a couple of months back that the last ABRAMS left Europe from Germany. Now the USAF has pulled out the last A-10 SQD. from Germany and by default Europe. I have to agree with the DID folks, the last thing Europe in general needs is fighters, those you have plenty of. A capable all around ground attack aircraft would've served a better purpose left there but Para 1. covers that. Within 15 years we'll leave you in Europe with military admin types and tourists! God help you all then!?! Maybe some will be MARINES at least they will know how to use their weapons!! https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...program-03187/

Regards,
Pat
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:33 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I always thought it was a shame they never developed a carrier-capable version of the A-10. Stick one of the many insane Navy/Marine ground support pilots in one and they'd probably terrify the bad guys almost as much as they do their non-ground-support brethren.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:49 AM

Lieutenant General

Well Saturday 6/29/2013 marked another end of an era, the Luftwaffe has formally retired their F-4F PHANTOM. I have posted in the translated version below, however, in deference to our German speaking friends (And others.) I have posted the ref as is in German.

Open Day in Wittmundhafen

Witt mouth, 29.06.2013.
According 279,000 flight hours in four decades lifted today, Saturday the 29th June, the F-4F Phantom for the last time from the airport of Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen" from. Almost 130,000 guests from around the world braved the bad weather and had traveled to the open day to Wittmund to pay tribute to a legend among the fighters. The Phantom was originally planned as a transitional solution.
"In the next five to ten years, the Phantom will serve us well! It was said, than in the early years Neunzehnhundersiebziger the decision to procure the McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II was like. Later there was talk of a transitional solution of twelve to 15 years " , explains Colonel retired Gerhard Ballhausen, Chairman of the Community Richthofen tradition. What 31 August 1973 began with the landing of the first two Phantom jets, today ended with the open day at the NATO - Airport Wittmundhafen. However, about three years later than initially planned.

From near and far

The adoption of the "forever young" fighter jets attracted nearly 130,000 visitors to Witt mouth. Many of them took long journeys to be able to attend the recent launch of the phantom can. The partially even traveled from Asia, Australia and the Americas fans of aviation, had been the day before to shoot the opportunity within a spotter Days, their personal souvenir photo with one of the ten remaining in Wittmundhafen F-4F Phantom jets. On this Saturday, the airfield opened then for everyone.

Without a rope and double bottom

"In over 2,500 flight hours, I was able to gather, I did not even have a serious problem" , Lieutenant General Charles Muellner showed highly satisfied with the "air defense Diesel" as the phantom was jokingly called. As a former Phantom pilot and Chief of Air Force, the honor due to him to deliver the opening speech of the open day. In it he described his personal experiences from the cockpit. "Mutual trust was especially important. Trust between humans and machines. Confidence in the technology as well as for air traffic control on the ground. Especially within the crew. No rope or double bottom but working as a team have created safety. The phantom was at any time a reliable member of this team. Of the Air Force team. "

Phantom Farewell - F-4F Phantom met Euro Fighter

A special highlight was the crowd in the afternoon. When flying program "Phantom Farewell" met past and future of Wittmunder flight operations in direct comparison to one another. In the morning already flying program under the motto "50 Years of Aviation" for good entertainment had caused among the spectators. However, as the F-4F Phantom Anniversary machine rolled to the runway, everyone knew that a historic moment was imminent. "Many of these people have spent decades in the cockpit of this aircraft or have screwed around countless hours on it. For them, this is now more than just a departure from an airplane " , said Colonel Gerhard Roubal, wing commander of JG 71 "R", the many media representatives during a press conference the day before. He was right. Among the spectators could see, among many cameras flashing some tears on the faces of many of the former squadron.
The last phantom off on schedule by 14 clock. Withdraw the honor as the last phantom crew of Wittmundhafen deserved the pilot Lieutenant Colonel Alex Berk and of course himself the wing commander. They started in the special anniversary Phantom painted with the tactical number 37 +01. This was the first Phantom, on 31 August was landed in 1973 in Witt mouth and is obtained by the anniversary flight, a place as a monument to 40 years F-4F Phantom Witt mouth.
On the half hour flight program was attended by a total of four phantom jets, two Euro Fighter. Since April this year, the new multi-role showcase the Air Force has already landed in Witt mouth. By the year 2018 a total of 18 of these new high-tech jets here find their new home and step into the big shoes of the legendary McDonnell Douglas F-4F Phantom II.

Indoor Party and Serenade for completion

At the end of the day of the open door rises today evening the large hall party on the grounds of the airport. For this purpose, up to 10,000 guests are expected. Tomorrow, Sunday is a serenade on the square in Wittmundhafen the conclusion of the "Phantom Farewell" weekend.

http://www.luftwaffe.de/portal/a/luf...k5joCAIqJiRs!/

Will need to definetly now based on new information, make the following changes to the German OOB...
CHANGE/GERMANY/MBB F-4F/UNITS 291 & 294/START DATE to SEP 1973 vice JAN 1972.// also
CHANGE/GERMANY/MBB F-4F/UNITS 292 & 293/END DATE to JUL 2013 vice DEC 2014.//

We discussed this about two years ago or less and some of the info then even supported a date out to 2015 for the retirement of these jets. We decided to leave those end dates alone pending a final resolution and now we have it. That's why it's so necessary to keep checking back "on the news of the day", it's on my list.
http://www.touchdown-aviation.com/ty...phantom-ii.php

I used the Luftwaffe start date (31 AUG 1973.) +1 from the article vice the immediate above civilian ref. date of JAN 1974.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; July 2nd, 2013 at 03:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: