Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Closed Thread

Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Put some reviews on Amazon plz

The big knock on SEV for a newbie, IMO, isn't the bugs. It isn't any more buggy than many newly released games (which is annoying as hell, but..eh).

The big problem is the documentation. The tutorial is still a canned series of text messages, the manual is a bit better but still quite weak, etc. How many times have we seen the "my ships won't shoot!" "are you putting ordinence on them?" thing, or "how do I do XXX", etc.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:49 AM

Private

Jeku is on a distinguished road

Frankly I'm one of the noobs that is disappointed with SEV. I read the reviews of SEIV, played the demo, and bought the game. But now after getting deep in and having it crash after slowing down, and having experienced trading bugs, I would not recommend this to anyone else new to the franchise.

I understand that the author is the sole programmer, but that does not excuse him for releasing a product that wasn't finished.

I work in the industry, so I know that PC games are released buggy all the time, but it's never right to release a game that has major bugs like this. Thankfully I found this forum and discovered that SEIV was released the same way, so I bought that and am playing it instead. SEV is sitting on my shelf, and for a few months it will remain there until some of the major bugs are patched.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:03 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand that the author is the sole programmer, but that does not excuse him for releasing a product that wasn't finished.
It wasn't just his decision. SFI was involved and they knew full well what they were doing. While many people may not agree with what they did, at least they are doing the right thing and using the feed back that they are getting to make the game a better game.

You speak of major bugs.... I am sorry jeku, but what major bugs are you refering to? Most of the bugs that have been reported are minor. IIRC most games that go gold have a patch waiting for them when they hit store shelves to addres a host of minor and a few major bugs that cropped up after the demo release. That is exactly what was done here.

I speculate that SFI and Malfador needed more feedback about the game so they opted to release it sooner rather than later with the hopes that the community would step, as they have indeed done, and report all the bugs they have found. This kind of tactic, albeit negative in the short run, will generate a lot of negative feed back but altimately will produce a far better game.

Please list the major bugs that you are refering to. If they are indeed game killers then they MUST be addressed asap.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have any proof that SFI forced Aaron to release? I ask because every single game he has made has been released rather buggy... SE4, SF, DO, probably even SE3...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:27 PM

Corporal

RonGianti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Astax said:
Ummm why would people lie? The game is hardly what I would considered finished. There needs to be a penalty for realising your beta version software. A penlaty like turning off prospective buyers.
You accuse others of having an agenda, then you admit to one. You want to punish someone because you're not happy. How is that more noble than someone who wants the game to do well, knowing that patches are coming out?

All in all, despite Malfador being such a small company, their patch record is better than most large companies. Plus, the game JUST came out.

It is fair to say, that new buyers should know that some parts of the game are still not working, but that is NOT what you said. You said you want to punish someone because your not happy. I would agree with you too, that someone who doesn't have the game should not be posting reviews, good or bad.

But how does "punishing" the developer help anything?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
You speak of major bugs.... I am sorry jeku, but what major bugs are you refering to?
Please, Atrocities, don't be hostile. There are plenty of issues - that is plain obvious - and people could argue with good arguments that some of them are major.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:24 PM

Corporal

frightlever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Put some reviews on Amazon plz *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mindi
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah... answering lots of se5 modding questions; agreeing with a lot of complaints and posting many of my own; telling people to email them to MM to make sure they are read; working on a little solar system mod (that Kwok incorporated into his balance mod); actively beta testing the game for a year and a half; that whole Wiki thing... These are all prime examples of having nothing to contribute and dickery, right?
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:01 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mephisto said:

Please, Atrocities, don't be hostile. There are plenty of issues - that is plain obvious - and people could argue with good arguments that some of them are major.
I don't think he was being hostile, I think he was just asking for clarification. Not in the most subtle fashion, but subltey has never been AT's forte. (not that that's a bad thing)

Quote:
frightlever said:
"Please, Atrocities, don't be hostile. There are plenty of issues - that is plain obvious - and people could argue with good arguments that some of them are major. "

This is why I hardly come here anymore. With my old account I was on here pretty much daily but this account is only a year and a few months more old. Atrocities and Fyron between them are being complete dicks to the SE cause.

If someone comes to the forum with a grievance you can either:

address and improve the product, or:

ignore it and alienate the potential sale.

Between them Atrocities and Fyron represent the old school modding elite. They've produced some great mods for SEIV and can I now just say Eff Off. Based on your forum posts you've nothing to contribute to SE5. If you want to dick about with the new users that SFI has bamboozled into the game then fair enough. If you're trying to build on your empire then, I believe the phrase is..., ... crickets chirpings...

When you have a clue about why SE5 will be the last SE game from Malfador, then you can have an opinion.
Huh? I don't get it. Every response I've seen from Atrocities or Fyron (or from the vast majority of those on this forum) has boiled down to either, "That's a problem alright, you should report it to MM," or "That's been a problem for a while now, so until it's fixed, here's how to work around it." Which would seem to fall into your first category of "address and improve the product", yet you dumped Fyron & AT into the second category. I'm lost, to be honest with you. Maybe a diagram or something might help?

There seems to be a number of people on this forum who seem to believe in some sort of conspieracy against those who don't like SE5, simply because (from what I can tell), most of us aren't interested in creating threads pointlessly slagging SE5, but rather encouraging people to contact MM, providing workarounds, and urging people to be patient, given Aaron's track record of patching the crap out of his games.

Yes, SE5 was probably released a little to early, yes there are a lot of bugs, and yes it's not the most polished game ever released. We know that. Griping about it endlessly isn't going to help. Sending in bug reports & suggestions, which is all I've ever seen Fryon & Atrocities suggest, will lead to SE5 being a game we're all still playing 6 years down the road.

That being said, if you could provide links to posts I may have missed where Fyron & Atrocities are being unhelpful elitest snobs, then maybe I'll have to rethink my position.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Now its true almost everyone hates Fyron but that is what the FHC(Fyron Hater's Club) meetings are for we don't talk about such things here.

j/k We love Fyron

help hes got a gun to my head and hes making me type things

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Closed Thread