.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Alternate resource costs mod

This is an experimental mod, and still in construction.

This is a very simple mod in progress. Basically, I make all units cost more resources, and I make resources more plentiful. This makes units with heavy resource costs relatively cheaper. This started from discussion in which Knights of the Chalice etc troops with very high resource costs were said to be useless. This might make light troops too weak, as you can only get about 50% more units in light armor than units with moderate protection.

This mod only affects early age, and only national units. Independents haven't been changed yet, so recruiting lots of independents will screw the results, as the independents will be much easier to produce than national troops.

Details:
Most units get base resource cost 5, increasing their resource costs by 4. Sacred units get increase of another 5 resources, bringing them to 10 resources more expensive than in unmodded Dominions.
I made few units a bit more expensive in gold, namely Van/Helheim troops because they've been banned from the IRC games and I'd like to have them tested. EDIT: Other changed units: Warriors of the 5 Elements, Oiorpata, Mictlan sacred troops.
Some base resource costs are based on race. Satyrs have base res cost of just 3, Centaurs have base res costs of 10. I didn't change commanders, Yomi demons or R'lyeh R'lyehians.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 468942-arcmod.zip (2.3 KB, 77 views)
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alternate resource costs mod

In the future, I'll try and incorporate Boron's suggestion and make the resource-cheap units really cheap in resources. Except, perhaps, slingers. Militia have to really stack the odds to their favour before they can deal with heavy infantry, so making militia have lower base res costs could work.