.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 14th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Private

Danoth is on a distinguished road
Default Hi..a question from a Noob

Hi..theres any sheet or method to calculate
the cost..(resources and gold) of any unit?
thanks...i´m going crazy...i´m not mathematic or programmer..i have not idea at all.

Pd: excuse my poor english..

Thanks..

Dan.
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi..a question from a Noob

Dan, if you assign equipment to a monster with the mod commands #weapon "Weapon Name" and #armor "Armor Name", the game will automatically tally up the resource cost for the monster based on the statistics of the equipment. This is made possible because each piece of armor and each weapon in the game has a resource value assigned to it already. If you are making new equipment for a mod you will need to assign a resource value to each item you make with a specific command that I forget at the moment. As for the gold costs, those are not automatic. Gold costs are assigned to monsters directly with the command #gcost <number>. Finding the right level of resource costs for equipment and gold costs for monsters is one of the tricks to making a well-balanced mod. Perhaps an industrious person out there (like Gandalf Parker) has a list of the resource costs of all the pre-existing weapons and armor laying around...
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Usually, gold costs are based on units stats and are not supposed to be affected by their equipment. Thus, units with stats in the 12 to 14 range would cost more than a unit with 11-12 stats and much better equipment. There is no guide and no rules, you just have to compare to existing units, preferably different ones. It'd help if you could tell whether or not the unit you are comparing yours into is deemed as powerful or weak. Vanir of MA/LA Vanheim are very good for their price, while LA Tien Chi light cavalry with Composite Bows and Light Lances are mediocre to bad.

Even though equipment's resource cost is automatically calculated, all humans are given #rcost of 1. Some units, like Jotun giants or Bandar of monkey people, have higher base #rcost. This is added to all equipment resource cost, because even slingers have to cost few resources. Heavy Cavalry are given high base resource costs to make them harder to produce. This has no in-game effect, it's just there to simulate horse barding being resource-intensive.
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Private

Danoth is on a distinguished road

a lot of thanks.. i will try to make balance units ..and i will tell you...

Again..thanks...

D.