.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

RonD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pointy Sticks MA started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightypeon View Post
Ulm is officially all in! Will hilarity ensue?
Also: Bah, forgot about the stupid quickness on the wendigo. Was propably my best chance of getting him by providing Shinu with a nice piece of bait and then moving in with the sea queen who regenerates back to full health every turn
Yep, the bait-then-attack was a nice ploy. Remind me when the war is over, and I will pass on some tips about how to have been more successful with it.

I figured the leprosy campaign would eventually force you to attack. From the looks on what is left of the faces of the besieging troops, all those leprosy casting have done their job well.
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Mightypeon is on a distinguished road

Hehe, if you recall that we were at war when you just subbed in, Shinuyamas incredible late game was the actual reason why I tried to kill them first, even if it would result in an ugly map.
At that time, I knew my northern neighbour to be Mictlan, who is not really an immidiate threat for Rose Ulm (oohhhh, sacreds! Cute!) threat, MA Ctis, who isnt what I would call heavy threat to Rose Ulm (Well, I can get poison resistance and even darkness counters with comparable ease) either, and Tien Chi + Acro who are imho "meh". MA Acro has mindhunt (not great against Rose Ulm), and Tien Chi does not have anything that would scare me as much as massive Earth and Acid access with easy access to a large variety of powerfull elemental/death magics.
I must confess that I had a policy of trying to kill Shinuyama really early , if encountered in games, and this game certainly did nothing to change this notion.
Incedently, my success rate of rushing Shinuyama (3 times with MA Ulm, once with MA Man) is 50/50.
I also failed to stress the point of Shinuyama being the main threat to Caelum, although its hard to sandbag to someone whom you sold a bunch of stone spheres.
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

Ahh. I was actually talking about the specific task of killing the wendigo. But I'm sure we will also talk about the war in general once it is over.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

As you now know, the real purpose of the acid storm was to set your troops (and, hopefully, mages) up for the following turn's weather extremes. That all worked out quite well (from my point of view, that is).
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

Not a whole lot I can do about it though.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

True. We have reached the stage of the game where you cannot expect to get away with having a big mid-game army out in the open. On the other hand, Ulm normally just laughs off Flames From the Sky and Murdering Winter, because of their super-duper armor. You have the misfortune of being up against a nation with easy access to acid storm. Even then, I have to have the right caster in the right place. Its not like I can teleport in an acid storm caster. But it does mean that you need to come up with a different late-game invasion strategy vs. Shin, compared to what you might use against most other nations.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

I have a lack of late game experiences, by virtue of usually being either dead or already dominant before lategame happens.
My root causes of defeat are economical and diplomaticall though.
Perhaps I should have went after Tien Chi and not Pythium, but I saw that awesome opportunity to eliminate Pythiums standing army and could not let that pass.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

That confusing, I definitly issued a move patrol order, which would have resulted in my army remains killing that wendigo without a lot of trouble.
I also believe that I remade the army in a way that had units as followers of "tough" commanders to cut down stragglers, did I fail to submit that turn properly?
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

I am willing to concede to Shinuyama.
I am a bit suprised, I teleported a Golem into the province your army came from, shouldnt that have interfered with your movement (or at least caused a battle that may have triggered gem use? I was expecting earth quakes actually).
Nevertheless, the better player won, congratulations!
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

I do not have time right now to write up anything about the Ulm/Shin war - I'll do that later.

I just want to take a quick second and offer a and a to Ossa, whose Mictlan was finally defeated for good this turn. Despite spending well over half the game as a 3-province power, Ossa showed up and submitted every damn turn, every time. Thank you!