.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old December 15th, 2013, 12:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Moldavia shall be united principality

OK, that is my very first after action report. I dont know how good I am at writing in english and I dont know how good I am in After Action Reports in general, but let my conduct my try and we will see if there is anything good out of it.

I am not Romanian, but a historial, and story is short.
Romania, before becoming a Kingdom in late XIX Century, was known under a name of "United Principalities", or "Unirea Principatelor" in their language. These provinces consisted of Wallachia (currently southern Romania) and Moldova, currently known as Moldavia and independent state.
Moldavia has rather tense relations with Romania, as Romania does not recognize Moldavian population as nation and their language (as majority of doctrine representatives agree that Moldavian is in fact Romanian dialect). There are also noticeable welfare differences in both countries. But they keep their mutual relationship at rather good level.
Moldavia, however, does not hold complete control of its territory. A part of it, is unrecognised state of Transnistria. Moldavia tried to claim that territory in early '90s, when it emerged, but Soviet (or in fact Russian already) military interference prevented that. Currently 1200 Russian troops are stationed there.

OK, thats it for the story. Now, what is this AAR about:
Due to political unrest and turmoil in late 2014, dictatorship government appears in Moldavia, directly hostile towards Romania and other neighbouring countries as well. I absolutely know such situation is unlikely in real life, but it is tactical game. Russia observes from the distance and Transnistria region, that is unshure how to react at this point, while Ukraine remains currently busy with own internal problems. Several firefight are enough for Bucharest government to declare a warning status and request Moldavian government stepdown, citing external danger. Ultimatum is given to Moldovia. But it is just a fake card played, as Romania seeks unification with its province, including Transnistria. 2 weeks before ultimatum over, Romanian military enters Moldovia, beginning a war that shall bring Moldovia back to united principalities.

I am going to command entire Romanian Brigade, the 282nd Mechanized Brigade "Unirea Principatelor" from 2nd Infantry Division "Getica". It is the only Romanian brigade equipped with IFVs, consider it some sort of elite, 1st line formation, used for breakthroughs, disposing noticeable firepower.

My force shall consist of:
A0: Headquaters (Brigadier General Adrian Tonea)
B0: Piranha IIIC for HQ protection and transportation
C0: Footmobile FOrward Observer
D0: RN-94T FO vehicle
E: 284th Tank Battalion HQ (tank section) commanding:
F: Engineering tank platoon (3x TR-580 Dozer)
G, K, O: Tank Companies, each with 13 TR-85M2 Bizonul tanks
(51 MBTs in total + 3 supporting tanks)
Then:
S: Scout Section with field car (simulated 280th Mech Inf Btn. Command), leading: T, Z, AF: Mechanized Infantry Companies, equipped with MLI-84M vehicles
AL: Another command of 300th Mech Inf Btn., that is a direct copy of one above.
BE: 285th Artillery Btn. equipped with 18 new ATROM mobile howitzers
Finally, 469th Logistics Battalion will be simulated as couple of heavy trucks and ordnance sections.

Generally, I will be in constant command of entire brigade, circa 300 units of all types. Division will provide additional artillery, air and AA support, as well as recon units and engineers.

I will be facing Moldavian military at first, that will be recreated carefully. Maps will be either custom from the game or generated. A real life person with military experience shall deploy Moldavian enemies for every battle. My casualties will be hard to replenish. I dispose 1 or 2 save reloads (depending on game length) in case something goes wrong. I cannot reload a save further unless my HQ is dead (what is improbable). Casualties will result in my units being more and more limited in their capabilities.

Stay tuned, battle 1 soon.
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Moldavia shall be united principality

Battle 1:

City of Cahul, 44000 population.

SITUATION:
2nd Infantry Division "Getica" begins advance into Moldavia. We have managed to completely surprise the enemy due to quick attack. Special Forces and Border Guards seized key bridges for our forces at night and now formations can begin their run.

MISSION:
282nd Mech. Division "Unirea Principaletor" will quickly advance through the city of Cahul, southern Moldavia. It is imperative to leave the city behind by nightfall and be enroute towards M3 road leading to Komrat and Chisinclia. Follow up forces will mop up remaining resistance.

ENEMY FORCES:
At least one enemy infantry battalion from 3rd Infantry Brigade deploys in the area. They are possibly not aware of out advance just yet. Unknown number of Border Guards and supporting units in the city itself.

FRIENDLY FORCES:
Entire 282nd Mech. Brig. for disposition.
Attachments:
Recon Company on TABC-79 from 528th Recon Btn. "Vlad Tepes"
2x MiG-21 with 100kg bomb payload
4x IA-99 trainer aircraft with Kh-25, rockets and bombs
1x UAV support

EXECUTION:
Brigade General Andrea Tonea, lead your men through the city of Cahul and achieve a breakthrough in no less than 2 hours. The city is loosely 2,5km long and possibly lightly defended. Commanders intent on micro scale execution. A path through the city must be made and brigade must be ready to go towards road M3 in no time. Minimize friendly casualties. Minimize civilian casualties, but heavy artillery is allowed if traded for speed. Artillery must be pushed through the city by the end of the time.

TIMING & WEATHER:
The operation begins at 0630 on 14th September 2014. Weather is clear so far and relatively hot, reaching up to 23 Celsius Degrees.

(northern sector of the map: I plan to launch a mechanized battalion as feint attack to hold possible enemy forces trying to support the city during the assault)

(Cahul itself. Key buildings and roads need to be secured)

(Artillery park and command element visible)

My plan:

I am deploying 3 main battlegroups:
BG1 - 1st Tk Coy and 1/280btn Mech. They are tasked to push through main city artery. They receive majority of fire support available.
BG2 - 2 Tk Coys + 2&3/280btn Mech. They advance through the southern arteries, somehow like a hook, in order to drive enemy attention and support BG1. They are tasked to regroup with BG1 in the city centre.
BG3: Entire 300btn Mech. Their task is to push through the north and create a distraction, as well as conduct enveloping manoeuvre if no resistance is spotted.

OK, let us see how it works like.
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Turn 1:
TABC-79 of attached recon gets ambushed by paramilitary forces not further than 700m away from my starting positions. Looks like Moldovans mobilized irregulars quick enough to react.
I am plotting my first ATROM battery to soften up paramilitaries. I know I shouldnt be using heavy guns in populated city but... are these paramilitaries even uniformed?

Friendly losses: 1x TABC-79 with crew
Enemy losses: none

Turn 2:
To the north still no contact at all, my mechanized battalion deploys wide and begins loose formation advance through the fields. I am plotting some arty around the wooden bridge, just in case enemy would think about ambushing me.
In the city outskirts, I stack up my forces for the first push when ATROMs ared done. one MLI-84 accidentally crashes into a house and left combat before it even began.

Turn 3:
Danger close fire mission completed in the outskirts. Recon with tank support rushes in... no, recon doesnt, they refuse as my fire scared them a bit. Instead, tank takes a lead and indeed finds enemy militia section reorganizing after the FM. Bizonul kills 3 militia and forces them to retreat. I am informed that there is Militia with RPG right in front of my tank (100m). I decide to hold position and observe that sector, since tank is invulnerable for PG-7V rounds. TABC adresses that sector with suppresive fire and another tank moves in, forcing second militia squad to retreat and badly mauling the already running one.
Another Bizonul moves in and annihilates entire running squad. I am currenty unshure about situation up ahead, especially recon stayed back for a while, so I hold the tanks here. Mechs wait in reserve till when it gets hotter.
Southern sector clear... no, it is not! My scouts expected something unussual here and disembarked. They have avoided RPG ambush, but got under hirrucane fire from border guards. TABC tried to fend off enemy squad till reinforcements arrive, but 2 scouts are already down. FUrthermore, another Border Squad is found, camping close by for crossfire! Bizonul comes in for help, attracting no fire. After bringing down the building with BGs (and possibly civilians, too) it fires smoke screen to cover remaining TABC vehicles from fire. Mechs follow close by, but its gonna take like 3 minutes before they catch up. Recon cover must be enough for now.
North unopposed as for now.
My artillery damages several buildings, but nothing collapses.

Friendly losses: 2 recon soldiers
Enemy losses: 7 militias

Turn 4:
To the north, bridge just bombarded prooves to be clear. My forces advance with no resistance.
To the south, my tanks, working closely with recon, eliminates the pocket of resistance made by BGs. Most of them die under heavy fire. However, one more section is spotted nearby and suppresive fire is not enough. Enemy answers and eliminates a single scout. Scouts however reply with help of TABC and enemy losses equal one map. This time is used by a tank to charge forward and catch them as soon as they run away.
Just afterwards, a drama occurs. Yet another ambush BG squad fires a RPG and breaks a track of Bizonul. Situation is critical for the crew. The rest of the tanks move in for help and hurricane fire kills several BGs and levels the building. Tank is saved!
Gen. Tonea realises that his forces are without infantry protection for now and orders a halt in advance after this 5 minutes firefight, in which 30-40 enemies are casualties to just 3 casualties on our side. Mechanized forces are catching up now.
Sector central: after heavy pounding, my forces move in. To my dismay, elements of regular forces already ARE in the city. A fight rups in which recon soldier dies. Straight afterwards, another TABC-79 get into ambush by paramilitaries. Vehicle is destroyed, however crew is fine. But 2 other scouts are killed in the process. Armour responce is failed: a HE round routes the militias, but accidentally kills a single crewman. The remaining scout team is whiped by satchel charge, supporting the militias. AK-74 is firing nearby; regulars are here as well. They carry PG-7VL rounds, already dangerous to my tanks. After heavy fighting my tanks clear the way so far, but it is still held by straglers.
Main elements of BG1 go forward, with guns blazing and killing everything what moves. Dozens of enemy troops run around scared. A slaughterhouse. But my tanks again advance too fast without protection. I decide to keep my distance from several flats ahead and pin them before moving in. Then my infantry tries to disembark closely, I take first 3 casualties of my core force. It seems another platoon is holed up. We have extremely powerful line defence here. But it aint gonna work. Reason: thermals. I send in UAV to this sector. I restrain from using my other air sorties, as they are too slow for my advance and may cause unneccesary damage.
I am conducting several danger close FMs praying for accuracy of my awesome guns and skills of my FOs.

During the enemy turn, several squads try to attack my vehicles with RPGs. They utterly fail and take a few more casualties in the process.

Friendly losses: 5 scouts, 3 soldiers, 1 crewman, 1 Bizonul immobilized, 1 TABC-79
Enemy losses: 30-40 BGs, 10+ regulars, 30+ militias, generally circa 100 men lost

Turn 5:
Romanian military disposes 7 UAVs. Sadly, now they dispose 6. My UAV gets under five from DsHKMs and singular ZPU in the city centre. When it is already retreating, a salvo hits it and brings down. Tonea is in trouble now. UAV however provided some valuable info on enemy deployment. Looks like we have some major deployment in flats estate. Tonea holds the advance and utilizes air strikes in order to soften the defences up.
Sector north still empty, my forces go full throttle.
Sector south: after eliminating some straglers, my TABC goes around the corner and is immediately spotted my MTBL with Fagot missiles. There is an unsuccessful launch. Yet another also fails, TABC does not retreat but fires back with no success. My tank moves in and finishes the job. When I enter the crossroads where my advance should stop for now, another Fagot fires, but CIWS defends the Bizonul. Shortly afterwards another ATGM bites the dust. Other tank platoon patrols nearby when enemy nearly hits it with RPGs. Militia retreats towards heavily urbanized area and foot chase is needed here. And, holy ****, when support is brought in, another section awaits very close and first Bizonul is down.
Oil factory seems to be clear, but obviously heavy enemy forces are still present here. A scout is killed in the process of clearing. Mechanized forces are nearly there.
Central: Christ, there is even more of them there. Another platoon is discovered. They are NOT going to give up these godforsaken flats. It is imperative for me to clear the first line of flats to have a good staging point when my artillery and air force moves in. Molvodan regulars hold for extremely long. They resist to retreat unless half of the squad is down. The target is achieved eventually, not without heavy firefight. Only casualty registered is one scout. Enemy lost dozens. Another 2 scouts die later on. Enemy defences are arm-by-arm. But is it enough against 100mm?
Morale of the Molvadians is shocking for Romanian HQ.

During the enemy turn, extremely lucky militia team blows the **** up from another tank. These vehicles are rather expensive, we must cut the casualties low!

Friendly losses: 1 UAV, 2 Bizonuls, 4 scouts
Enemy losses: 2x MTBL ATGM, dozens of enemies
The Following User Says Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post:
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:49 PM

Sergeant

valo2000 is on a distinguished road

keep it going always nice to read aarrrrrrrs
Old December 19th, 2013, 12:09 AM

Second Lieutenant

Turn 1:
TABC-79 of attached recon gets ambushed by paramilitary forces not further than 700m away from my starting positions. Looks like Moldovans mobilized irregulars quick enough to react.
I am plotting my first ATROM battery to soften up paramilitaries. I know I shouldnt be using heavy guns in populated city but... are these paramilitaries even uniformed?

Turn 2:
To the north still no contact at all, my mechanized battalion deploys wide and begins loose formation advance through the fields. I am plotting some arty around the wooden bridge, just in case enemy would think about ambushing me.
In the city outskirts, I stack up my forces for the first push when ATROMs ared done. one MLI-84 accidentally crashes into a house and left combat before it even began.

Turn 3:
Danger close fire mission completed in the outskirts. Recon with tank support rushes in... no, recon doesnt, they refuse as my fire scared them a bit. Instead, tank takes a lead and indeed finds enemy militia section reorganizing after the FM. Bizonul kills 3 militia and forces them to retreat. I am informed that there is Militia with RPG right in front of my tank (100m). I decide to hold position and observe that sector, since tank is invulnerable for PG-7V rounds. TABC adresses that sector with suppresive fire and another tank moves in, forcing second militia squad to retreat and badly mauling the already running one.
Another Bizonul moves in and annihilates entire running squad. I am currenty unshure about situation up ahead, especially recon stayed back for a while, so I hold the tanks here. Mechs wait in reserve till when it gets hotter.
Southern sector clear... no, it is not! My scouts expected something unussual here and disembarked. They have avoided RPG ambush, but got under hirrucane fire from border guards. TABC tried to fend off enemy squad till reinforcements arrive, but 2 scouts are already down. FUrthermore, another Border Squad is found, camping close by for crossfire! Bizonul comes in for help, attracting no fire. After bringing down the building with BGs (and possibly civilians, too) it fires smoke screen to cover remaining TABC vehicles from fire. Mechs follow close by, but its gonna take like 3 minutes before they catch up. Recon cover must be enough for now.
North unopposed as for now.
My artillery damages several buildings, but nothing collapses.

Friendly losses: 2 recon soldiers
Enemy losses: 7 militias

Turn 4:
To the north, bridge just bombarded prooves to be clear. My forces advance with no resistance.
To the south, my tanks, working closely with recon, eliminates the pocket of resistance made by BGs. Most of them die under heavy fire. However, one more section is spotted nearby and suppresive fire is not enough. Enemy answers and eliminates a single scout. Scouts however reply with help of TABC and enemy losses equal one map. This time is used by a tank to charge forward and catch them as soon as they run away.
Just afterwards, a drama occurs. Yet another ambush BG squad fires a RPG and breaks a track of Bizonul. Situation is critical for the crew. The rest of the tanks move in for help and hurricane fire kills several BGs and levels the building. Tank is saved!
Gen. Tonea realises that his forces are without infantry protection for now and orders a halt in advance after this 5 minutes firefight, in which 30-40 enemies are casualties to just 3 casualties on our side. Mechanized forces are catching up now.
Sector central: after heavy pounding, my forces move in. To my dismay, elements of regular forces already ARE in the city. A fight rups in which recon soldier dies. Straight afterwards, another TABC-79 get into ambush by paramilitaries. Vehicle is destroyed, however crew is fine. But 2 other scouts are killed in the process. Armour responce is failed: a HE round routes the militias, but accidentally kills a single crewman. The remaining scout team is whiped by satchel charge, supporting the militias. AK-74 is firing nearby; regulars are here as well. They carry PG-7VL rounds, already dangerous to my tanks. After heavy fighting my tanks clear the way so far, but it is still held by straglers.
Main elements of BG1 go forward, with guns blazing and killing everything what moves. Dozens of enemy troops run around scared. A slaughterhouse. But my tanks again advance too fast without protection. I decide to keep my distance from several flats ahead and pin them before moving in. Then my infantry tries to disembark closely, I take first 3 casualties of my core force. It seems another platoon is holed up. We have extremely powerful line defence here. But it aint gonna work. Reason: thermals. I send in UAV to this sector. I restrain from using my other air sorties, as they are too slow for my advance and may cause unneccesary damage.
I am conducting several danger close FMs praying for accuracy of my awesome guns and skills of my FOs.

During the enemy turn, several squads try to attack my vehicles with RPGs. They utterly fail and take a few more casualties in the process.

Friendly losses: 5 scouts, 3 soldiers, 1 crewman, 1 Bizonul immobilized, 1 TABC-79
Enemy losses: 30-40 BGs, 10+ regulars, 30+ militias, generally circa 100 men lost

Turn 5:
Romanian military disposes 7 UAVs. Sadly, now they dispose 6. My UAV gets under five from DsHKMs and singular ZPU in the city centre. When it is already retreating, a salvo hits it and brings down. Tonea is in trouble now. UAV however provided some valuable info on enemy deployment. Looks like we have some major deployment in flats estate. Tonea holds the advance and utilizes air strikes in order to soften the defences up.
Sector north still empty, my forces go full throttle.
Sector south: after eliminating some straglers, my TABC goes around the corner and is immediately spotted my MTBL with Fagot missiles. There is an unsuccessful launch. Yet another also fails, TABC does not retreat but fires back with no success. My tank moves in and finishes the job. When I enter the crossroads where my advance should stop for now, another Fagot fires, but CIWS defends the Bizonul. Shortly afterwards another ATGM bites the dust. Other tank platoon patrols nearby when enemy nearly hits it with RPGs. Militia retreats towards heavily urbanized area and foot chase is needed here. And, holy ****, when support is brought in, another section awaits very close and first Bizonul is down.
Oil factory seems to be clear, but obviously heavy enemy forces are still present here. A scout is killed in the process of clearing. Mechanized forces are nearly there.
Central: Christ, there is even more of them there. Another platoon is discovered. They are NOT going to give up these godforsaken flats. It is imperative for me to clear the first line of flats to have a good staging point when my artillery and air force moves in. Molvodan regulars hold for extremely long. They resist to retreat unless half of the squad is down. The target is achieved eventually, not without heavy firefight. Only casualty registered is one scout. Enemy lost dozens. Another 2 scouts die later on. Enemy defences are arm-by-arm. But is it enough against 100mm?
Morale of the Molvadians is shocking for Romanian HQ.

During the enemy turn, extremely lucky militia team blows the **** up from another tank. These vehicles are rather expensive, we must cut the casualties low!

Friendly losses: 1 UAV, 2 Bizonuls, 4 scouts
Enemy losses: 2x MTBL ATGM, dozens of enemies

Turn 6:
This is going to be rather quiet turn, a moment of break. My forces clear the backs to have them ready when new advance place happens. I have gotten 500 metres into the city by now. Advance speed is acceptable, but enemy resistance is hero-like. A BTR-40 is knocked out by MLI autocannon in the meantime.
My recon has taken rather heavy losses. It is going to be long battle. I am closing in on enemy barracks. These are used by BGs only, however I am unshure what I find there.
Enemy mortars are unsuccessfully pounding the border bridge. I cannot estimate their position yet.

Finally, the strikes begin. Artillery is rather accurate, but one MLI-84 is immobilized in the process. MiG-21s get under heavy AA fire, including Strela 3 systems but they avoid damage... just to engage friendly forces. Luckily, with little effect.

Friendly losses: 2 soldiers, 2 scouts
Enemy losses: BTR-40, DShKM, at least 30 enemy troops

Turn 7:
Assault on flat estate begins.
Goes pretty smooth when tanks move in, enemy losses are high. One Bizonul accudentally crashes into a building. Besides looks fine, enemy is in full retreat.
In the south though it is not that easy. My infantry chases remaining irregulars. TABC is ambushed and taken out by RPG, but we have discovered enemy mortar position and eliminated it. Barracks looks deserted.
Artillery is plotted against local police HQ and surroinding suburbs. I am going to capture that location in oder to cut city centre off.

Friendly losses: 1 MLI-84 immobilized, 1 Bizonul immobilized, 1 TABC-79, 3 scouts
Enemy losses: 82mm mortar, MTLB Fagot, dozens of targets

Turn 8:
TO the south, there is prolonged combat with asingle RPG-7 team guarding the barracks. We assume the barracks to be generally deserted. Another MLI-84 crashes into a house and immobilizes itself. Elements of BG2 now split and create BG4, in order to flank Moldavian resistance from the site and capture a high ground.
Central Sector: no greater advances here, my Battle Group prepares for another thrust, when artillery is done with preparation.
NOrthern advance is still clear. Very soon, within 30 minutes, my forces will encircle the city.

During enemy turn, aone rifle section tries unsuccessfully eliminate my IFV and they loose a man.
Artillery pounds in rather accurate manner.

Friendly losses: none
Enemy losses: RPG-7 team, 1 casualty

Turn 9:
Just after my advance begins in sector central, enemy Militia formations are discovered and believed to hold my objective. They are routed by a tank, however seonds later my next TABC gets burned in the ambush of another team nearby. I must be very careful. My recon force lost like 50% of manpower for now, I will have to send them away very soon. Several weaker buldings collapse, as I fight my way with armour. 2 soldiers are down from infantry fire, but the resonce is quick. Generally, a platoon of militia is discovered so far, blocking my way. Just near them, to the north, another regular platoon is waiting, but 2 squads are taken out by big calibre. It seems clear now that enemy is defending in mixed manner, rather than sector control system. Losses occur a bit later on. Elements of central sector Battle Group go flaking a bit to the north and reach enery rear defence. 4 men are killed in ambush and IFV luckily survives. When it engages the enemy with success, splinters from PKM fire... eliminate the remainded of a squad...
Enemy rifle company is believed to be prepared around Police HQ, where all that fighting happened. Its gonna be serious fight here...
Sector south: resistance at the barracks is, in fact, non existant. A single soldier dies when encountering enemy MANPADS team, firing at my places minutes ago, but besides, the Moldavians are routed. I am however waiting for other Battle Groups to finish their objectives, so advance here is on halt. Only the newly greated BG4 is on the move. Several incidens happen. A Bizonul and MLI are immobilized in the barracks section, when crashing into a fence and accidentally hitting a building nearby. Engineers will have to do some serious digging.

One soldier is lost due to enemy artillery fire. My arty though pounds very well and Police HQ building is turning into a rubble.

Friendly losses: 1x TABC, entire squad, 3 other troops
Enemy losses: Dozens

Turn 10:
Beginning sucks. TABC narrowly escapes 2 ambushes, but a Bizonul tank runs into successful, completely not expected ambush and does not survive. It seems remainder of Border Guards bunkered themselves far north of Police HQ, to hold me away from the building. Another trooper gets killed in a won firefight.
My frontal advance reaches the building however. BTR-40 is destroyed near it. Infantry conducts a dynamic drop off, only possible way to solve it quickly. There is COMPLETELY no resistance in the building itself, most likely. The surrounding neighbourhood has that area covered, but no resistance in the building itself. I carry on with cleaning. ZPU-2 is spotted in the central square by luck and taken out, together with a building.
To the south, barracks main entrance is heavily protected only. My BIzonul is caught by 2 RPG rounds, both failed though. Rescue party massacres the ambushers. Another mortar is discovered and engaged without success. Will be done shortly though.
North remains clear.

I am sending in the aircraft, to soften city defences first. I shall not pound the hospital with artillery. Only the hospital now stands on my way to encirclement.

During the enemy turn, more dramatic losses occur. Various RPG team activate from the city center area. In total, about 14 RPG rounds are launched against my vehicles at ranged of 200-400 metres. With extreme luck (4% and 6%) my tank and MLI-84 are hit. No survivors among the crew, luckily MLI was empty at the time.
My casualties are becoming dangerously high. 4 tanks are already disabled, nearly 7% of entire fleet. Hopefully I shall not advance in so urban area as this anymore...

Friendly losses: 2 Bizonuls, 1 MLI-84, 1 infantryman
Enemy losses: circa 30, BTR-40

SITUATION SO FAR:
BLUE - line of control
RED LONG - Most dangerous ambush points
RED SHORT - flat estate that prooved to be a stronghold.
ORANGE - encirclement plans (big and small)

Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thank to everyone who was so kind to merge my posts, looks better now and yet everyone knows new posts appeared.

Turn 11:
Sector central: fighting along Police HQ continues. Without casualties, I manage to take out or rout 3 enemy squads. The building itself is clear indeed, like a jewel... protected by spikes...
I slow down my tempo. I focus on taking out targets at a distance, at which I find my forces quite a successful.
South: my units in there declare barracks secured at last. Tanks engaging singular targets at the main square.
North: happily driving around... no it is not! A recon soldier of head elements is killed by enemies guarding the crossroad I was to capture and cut Moldavians off. It seems I need to take it by force. Sheer numbers make me not plot artillery on this threat.

During enemy turn, northern sector TABC is taken out with 5% chance (3rd such in this game) from RPG-7V. No survivors, of course. Anothe MLI-84 (empty) is finished by tank hunter teams. Infantry failed to provide overwatch...
Another TABC gets knocked out by SPG-9, what was quite a possible (16%). My air strikes are failed...
This does not look good. Romanian military fails extremely badly in urban areas.

Friendly losses: 5 men, MLI-84, 2x TABC
Enemy losses: 3 squads, some AT and AA teams

Turn 12:

Police HQ is declared clear now. Enemy is dug in in hospital, as expected. Tanks are answering fire, I knew I will force enemy to reveal their positions by putting tanks nearby. After Bizonuls are done, infantry moves in and takes out the straglers. In total 28 casualties are sustained by the enemy to 1 my soldier.
BG4 on the hill encounters tank hunters, but takes them out without any issues. I am bit worried though that hill is also seriously defended.
Seing progress at the hospital, sector south begins a push towards the centre. For now limited resistance is spotted.
But to my surprise, centre also seems to be left empty. Just a single MTLB with Fagot is spotted and taken out quickly by a tank. TABC is damaged by failed RPG round, no more casualties. Enemy reached about 20 take downs.
My expectations are city centre will fall next turn. But there are couple of communist flats nearby, I am woried these are defended heavily, as last time.
To the north, my recon platoon lays some suppresive fire at Moldovans covering the crossroads and waits for the main force to appear. But TABC with entire crew is lost in the process...

Enemy turn: no effects

Friendly losses: 1 man, TABC damaged, TABC lost, scout team
Enemy losses: ~50 enemies, ZPU-2

Turn 13:

As I expected, flat buildings area is covered by enemy. I loose one man, but MLI autocannons force them out. BUt after basic combat it seems there is... one more platoon, just in case.
With decisive thrust, taking no casualties, flats are secured by half of a tank company and same amount of mechs. In the same time, BG2 confirms city centre secured unless there is enemy activity inside the catherdal. Hospital will be in my hands very soon.
What is left: a factory, a crossroads and artillery crossing.
I send BG4 at the factory, since their fighting strenght is untouched yet. Looks like enemy deployed without noticable strongpoints, leaving no weak points around the city. Sadly, one more Bizonul is finished by SPG fire, possibly the same one that took my TABC out. Looks like SPG platoon is guarding the way to the factory. My infantry discovers one hat is just about to light my MLI. Smoke goes out. Its gonna be funny.
Luckily however, militia seems to be only combat unit that is left. Their weak fighting skills may be life saving for me in here.
TO the north: guess what! 3% chance hit removes my last TABC. Of course no survivors. In fact, Recon company is wiped out completely, what is huge blow for entire division.

Enemy turn: Bizonul is down to SPG fire...

Friendly losses: 2 Bizonul, 5 soldiers in various combat situations
Enemy losses: ~80 enemies at least

Turn 14:

Advance against a factory goes really bad. Militia with SPG help holds extremely well. Both sides suffer heavy casualties. Cathedral has ZPU on the roof that kills 2 more of my men. My entire artillery targets the factory and neoighbourhood area. Plan: similar to estate stronghold, pound and take during initial stun.
Northern sector clears the crossroads without casualties as soon as mechs come in to play. Enemy platoon wiped out.

Enemy turn: sporadic fire from factory area, third SPG is taken out.

Friendly losses: circa 15 troops
Enemy losses: circa 50 troops

Turn 15:

Steady preparations for factory assault are commenced. My task force slowly approaches, taking out another militia platoon on the way.
UAV would be helpful now, but well...
As soon as FM is over, I conduct a rush in...

Enemy losses: militia platoon
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Turn 16:

Artillery is done. My forces move in to capture and secure the factory.
Militia platoon is discovered from the southern route and dealt with accordingly. Additional rifle platoon seems to be covering the north. For now I have lost 1 man during disembarkment procedute, but all enemy teams are routed.
Moments later another man is down, but enemy pays entire platoon for it. My numbers are sheer advantage here and Moldavian remnants are unable to take up a proper fight.

My ATROMs begin to group up for advance. They must be quick, there is no time to loose!

Enemy turn is painful though. One of the mortars is still active and may threat the artillery. But one of my Bizonuls ends its turn right in front of undiscovered rifle squad...

Friendly losses: 2 men, 1 Bizonul
Enemy losses: circa 2 platoons

Turn 17:

Remaining rifle squad is neutralized within a minute. ATROMs carry on with advance under protection with no noticable complications.

Enemy losses: Rifle squad

Turn 18:

Enemy mortart takes out 2 of my soldiers. I dispatch a squad to find it and kill it.
And I find it nearly immediately, as it is in nearby woods, like 200m away from the factory. My tank kills RPG-7 team that tried to sneak up upon me.

ATROMs carry on...

Friendly losses: 2 men
Enemy losses: 2x81mm mortars, RPG team

Turn 19 onwards till 24:

A single ATROM gets under fire from remainder non discovered by my troops and burns down. Remaining units carry on.
One of my tanks nearby find out the remainder and wipes it out.

There is a major engagement in turn 21, when ATROM security elements run into ambush of several RPG teams and a rifle squad. Reinforecements are rushed in to help. The outcome is: rifle squad down together with 3 RPG-7VR teams. 4 dead on my side, one ATROM slightly damaged. ATROM crews engaged the targets with own rifles this turn. Moments later additional rifle squad tried to run my back, but they are destroyed to a single man.
By the turn 24 all ATROMs are ready, one more border guards squad is destroyed in the meantime.

Friendly losses: ATROM, ATROM slightly damaged, 4 men
Enemy losses: 2 Border Guards squadS, 2 rifle squads, 3 RPG teams

TURN 24 - END OF BATTLE 1!

Romanian Casualties were as listed: 130 men hit, 10 APCs knowcked out, 8 heavy vehicles knocked out, 1 UAV shot down
Moldavian Casualties were as listed: 803 men hit, 12 static weapons destroyed, 6 armoured vehicles knocked out

Score: 7942:2868 what gives of course a marginal victory.

Here are the details:

Casualties sustained by unit:
Brigade Command - 0 losses
284th Tank Battalion - 7 vehicles total, 28 men total (yes, no crew survivors at all)
1st Company - 3 Bizonul tanks down, 77% of combat effectiveness maintained, UNDER expectations (90%)
2nd Company - 3 Bizonul tanks down, 77% of combat effectiveness maintained, UNDER expectations (90%)
3nd Company - 1 Bizonul tank down, 92% of combat effectiveness maintained, MET expectations

Overall combat capacity at 82%, UNDER expectations (90%)

Several tanks immobilized, will be back in service within 1 hour.
1st Coy - 1 tank, 2nd Coy - 2 tanks, 3rd Coy - 2 tanks (they shall enter late during the next battle)

280th Mechanized Battalion - 37 men down (19 KIA, 9 LWIA, 7 HWIA), 2 vehicles knocked out.
1st Company - 25 men, 1 MLI-84 lost, circa 80% of combat capacity left, UNDER expectations (90%)
2nd Company - 5 men, 1 MLI-84 lost, circa 92% of combat capacity left, MET expectations
3rd Company - 7 men, circa 92% of combat capacity left, MET expectations

Besides, 4 MLIs immobilized due to driving errors, they shall come in delayed.

Overall combat capacity at 88%, SLIGHTLY BELOW expectations (90%)

300th Mechanized Battalion - 4 men in total, 2 KIA, 1 LWIA, 1 HWIA. Combat efficiency of course maintained

Artillery Battalion: 1 ATROM lost (slightly damaged goes off list), with 8 men crew, all KIA
94% of capacity is UNDER expectations (100%)

Logistics Battalion: no losses, full efficiency

In total, my core force suffered: 77 men casualties (including 57 KIA!), 7 Bizonul tanks and 2 MLI-84 IFVs. This gives me 94,5% of fighting force, still capable of offensive combat operations.

Now, units that are NOT my core:
Recon Company from Recon Battalion "Vlad Tepes" - 35 casualties (18 KIA, 10 HWIA, 27 LWIA), 8 TABC-79 lost, 1 TABC-79 slightly damaged. This gives circa 20-23% of combat efficiency for this unit. That is a huge waste that divisional HQ shall blame on me... for a reason. Company will be taken away from me, what means I do not dispose a recon element anymore for the next mission.

MOLDAVIANS:
Moldavian defence consisted of:
1x Infantry Battalion (3 Companies with some support)
1x Reserve Infantry Company, acting as Border Guards
2x Militia Companies, acting as paramilitaries mobilized already

They have suffered 99% of their fighting strenght in the area (8 men are alive, HQ and FO) out of more than 800 defenders.
Additionally, 1x ZPU-2 and 2x DShKM were captured untouched and are available in my reserves.

Enemy losses are 250 KIA, 192 HWIA, 306 LWIA, 55 POW

CIVILIANS:
Due to heavy shelling and generally very bloody and dramatic fighting, civilian casualties are heavy, not without blame on Moldavians. We counted 1189 civilian losses, that include 86 dead, 956 seriously wounded needing instant hospitalization and 147 just scratched.
Circa 6% of the city buildings were destroyed, collateral damage is no greater than 4 milion USD.

Hospitals are completely overcrouded, pitty and poverty flood the damaged streets. Sadly, division does not dispose CIMIC battalion as does the 1st ID covering Serbian border. No actual support is granted except medical supplies. No doctors, no immediate follow up forces. More civilian casualties shall occur.

Political situation is really bad for now, government blames the incident on Moldavian defence based on heavily populated area. ICRC, UN and AI ask why more than 500 100mm shells were used in the city. Bodies are found everywhere, videos leak on YouTube, LiveLeak, Funker530 channel comdemns the invasion. Ukraine, Russia, Serbia, Bulgaria does the same. Hungary and Poland does not comment by now. US expresses regret over Romania's actions and urge both sides to restrain, what means "go ahead but quickly".
Romania's 1 day of war is still going on. Roads must be secured, advance shall be provided...

OK, from technical side:
- Next mission gives me no reinforcements
- Recon Company is taken away
- New support will be dice rolled, possibly stay as it is, except the UAV

I dispose these reservers: when I go over them, no more reinforcements will be available:
200 men (excluding the crews), then I shall recruit conscript squads
13x TR-85M2 Bizonul (lucky dice roll)
10x TR-85 (slightly upgraded T-55)
5x TR-580 (in fact, locally produced T-54, slightly upgraded)
10x MLI-84M
5x MLI-84M- (without Spike ATGM)
15x MLI-84 (Romanian built BMP-1)
10x TAB-71 (Romanian BTR-60, as last resort)
6x M81 FGs (Romanian D-20, replacement for ATROM)
Infinite amount of trucks (too much to calculate really)

Captured equipment:
1x ZPU-2
2x DShKM

OK, some feedback would be welcome, some suggestions maybe as well. Next battle to come within 2 weeks, my deploying-guy must be back from Christmas and New Year.
In the evening of day 1, Romanian military shall carry on towards NE, though the national highway along Ukrainian border.

The Following User Says Thank You to SaS TrooP For This Useful Post: