.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old February 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM

Sergeant

Mind Elemental is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Dawn - need players and server

Quote:
lch said:
BTW, do you want to use the original Dawn map from the game or this one? http://www.dom3minions.com/games/dawn.jpg
Sorry, dude, the link isn't working for me. What's the difference?

Welcome, StrictlyRockers! Ich, thanks for hosting anyway, and hope to play with you another time.
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Perhaps we could use the Worthy Heroes mod?
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Teraswaerto said:
Perhaps we could use the Worthy Heroes mod?
1) I wouldn't mind the mod, but I wonder about the hassle of getting everyone to DL and install it. What does everyone else think?

And while I'm polling everyone:

2) Should we set some kind of special victory condition (such as capital VPs - get 2/3rds to win)

3) Should we have some kind of limit on blesses?
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

I'd encourage using the Worthy Heroes mod, but I wouldn't use the CB mod incase somebody is suggesting it because the game has to be played quite differently from the way that players are used to, and it's still under lots of fine-tuning development by qm.

Since I'm not playing myself, I don't vote on Victory Points.

Why do you want to limit blesses? And how? Blesses require lots of points in pretender design, that's already limiting their usage, and there's still diplomacy against too strong players. But if you want to nerf Helheim and Vanheim, okay.
Emergency comic relief
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM

Sergeant

Well, Dawn is not that huge a map, IIRC. You could conceivably take an imprisoned pretender, Sloth, and Death, and with the Cold 1, have more than enough points to go nuts with W9F9 Helhirdings. I've seen suggestions in other games icluding 'limit 9+ blesses to awake pretenders', which might help.

Still, what do you think?
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:23 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mind Elemental said:
Well, Dawn is not that huge a map, IIRC. You could conceivably take an imprisoned pretender, Sloth, and Death, and with the Cold 1, have more than enough points to go nuts with W9F9 Helhirdings. I've seen suggestions in other games icluding 'limit 9+ blesses to awake pretenders', which might help.

Still, what do you think?
I am playing a W9F9 Helheim on another server and I am getting the [censored] beaten out of me by all of my four neighbours which attacked me together because they got intimidated by the "zOMG overpowered!" hype. That's kinda overdoing it, but if you really think that some facehugger nation has an unfair advantage then there is still diplomacy to take care of them. Nobody can take on more than two players at once.
Emergency comic relief
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM

Sergeant

StrictlyRockers is on a distinguished road

I don't mind downloading and installing mods. That should not be a problem.

I like province-based victory conditions. Control of 2/3 of all provinces seems a bit high to me. I think control of 1/2 of all provinces might be sufficient, but I am easy, 2/3 will work fine, too.

I am not in favor of nerfing races or spells at this point. The game seems balanced enough, and coalitions do happen.

SR
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Sir_Dr_D is on a distinguished road

This is going to be a very imbalanced game. Not only is it a small map, everyone also knows the starting locations of everybody. This will make bless very deadly. But also very deadly will be SC pretenders.Someone could very early take an SC pretender, and take a neighbor out within the first few turns.

But what will balance things a little bit is the fact that since everyone will know who their neighbors will be ahead of time, they can create a setup during pretender creation that will best counter those nations. I am playing as the Marverni, which is one of the worst nations for handling small map blitzes. But i picked that nation because of that, and it will be a fun challenge to come up with an effective defence strategy using them. So let everyone be warned. The druids are ready, and should you try to invade marverni lands, you will be promptly expelled.

The best way I can think of to balance things would be if we have a rule that says no nation can attack another for the first ten turns or so.That will give everyone a chance to build up some sort of defense.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:04 AM

Corporal

Covenant is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm one of the guys Mind got from outside the board. I'd approve of bless limitings mostly because I personally find them rather dull pickings for a game, and enjoy the more intricate balancing act that comes from requiring people to be more sparing. Pushing for awake pretenders doesn't nerf anyone--the 'heims are still very powerful--but it doesn't unfairly benefit one side over another to the same degree.

I'm also not aware of the Worthy Hero mod, nor have I ever downloaded one of these maps before. How do I do that, which do I get, and so on?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:50 AM

Sergeant

StrictlyRockers is on a distinguished road

A SC rush strategy sounds pretty deadly on a small map where opponents' positions are already known. Having a dormant pretender sounds like a very bad idea here.

What sorts of limitations are people thinking of for bless - some sort of limitations on the levels and combinations of different paths of magic? Are people worried about blessed sacred troops that get uber-powerful?

SR