.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old May 12th, 2003, 02:17 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lord of the rings module

Quote:
Originally posted by henk brouwer:
Maybe you could even use the keys later in the module, (give wizards acces to 'special' shops with magic stuff, that other characters shouldn't have etc) I can't look into the text files from where I am, but that would require a key that isn't 'consumed' on use. I'm not sure whether that is possible or not...
I am not 100% sure, but I think keys are always consumed when used. You could of course add multiple keys to the starting characters. Enough supply to open all the 'character specific' doors in the game.
But I have to point out that this a very imperfect solution, becuase of Thieves lockpicking.

If restricting certain items to classes that can be done as a restriction of the item itself:
Requirement Type, Class Required.

Quote:
Originally posted by bearclaw:
graphics needed: elves, ents
I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.
As Henk already suggested, check out the forest in Hack and Slash. It has elves and ents and has a somewhat darker feel. With just a few tweaks to the trees that are allowed for random selection, it can also be made even darker.

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't had the time to go through your Hack and Slash mod yet (although I have tried it a few times. Very nice indeed).

I've come across a new problem though, There is a set of fields in the XXXX_Tiles.txt file to set the connection type for the N,E,S,W sides of a tile. Are these not enabled? Because they don't seem to do what they are suppose to.

And another thing. I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?
If you want just a quick look at the forest, but don't have much time: Go to \Hack and Slash\Data\ModuleData.txt and change 'Starting map' from 2 to 20 .

I am not sure what exactly your problem is with the connections and the placement of the tiles in Mapgen. Please post all relevant files here or send them to me per email (snickelsen@web.de). I can have a look at them, if you wish.

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road

The screenshots I promised earlier are posted in the "Sneak Preview" thread.

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:59 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't had the time to go through your Hack and Slash mod yet (although I have tried it a few times. Very nice indeed).
The hack and Slash Mod was done by Rollo, not by me. It's a great mod especially some of the new levels

Quote:

I've come across a new problem though, There is a set of fields in the XXXX_Tiles.txt file to set the connection type for the N,E,S,W sides of a tile. Are these not enabled? Because they don't seem to do what they are suppose to.

They should work. The mapgenerator uses these connection types when generating a map. It will make sure that a north connection that is set to one will conect to a south connection that is set to 1 on another tile, simmillar for other directions.

The mapgenerator will make mistakes When you only have a very small tiles.txt file, or when it can't find tiles with connection types it needs, in such cases it may place tiles on locations where they shouldn't be according to their connection types.

You may also want to double check that you didn't accidently set the connection types wrong.. happens a lot to me

Quote:

And another thing. I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?
Strange.. are you sure the file isn't misnamed? I think it has to end with _tiles.txt . Is the header section present in both the text files? (the section which has the lines about preset tile-locations etc)

Hope this helps..

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:32 PM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've done the Terrain and Tile files for the Starting Chamber map (where you choose which door to pass depending on your charcter) and Hobbiton. But in the Mapgen utility, I only have access to the Hobbiton Tile file instead of both of the one's I've got so far. Any suggestions?
Alright. Found the problem with this error. I forgot the 's' on the end of _Tiles.

Ooops. Fixed now.

But now there is another problem. For 2 tile sets (Starting Chamber and the Shire map) the mapgen won't access the Terrain files for either of these. The third map I have (Hobbiton) works just fine except that the terrain file has to be "hobbiton-terrain.txt" instead of "hobbiton_terrain.txt". Strange. Any ideas? And yes, I've already checked, checked and re-checked for spelling errors.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:51 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...And yes, I've already checked, checked and re-checked for spelling errors.
Hey Bearclaw,
I looked at your files and located the problems. I hate to say it, but there were indeed spelling errors that caused this.
Fixed files should be in your mailbox by now.

Have fun,
Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Captain

thanks
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Captain

I must be getting better at modding. Done 2 complete maps without needing any assistance!!! Yah for me!!

But now I've run into another situation. There don't seem to be any terrain pics appropriate for Rivendell (which is the map I'm about to start work on.) Is there anyone with any sort of graphics experaince willing to do up some pics for me? I don't need the actual terrains created, just some things like walls and such that I can use to create the terrains I'll need.

Any takers? My CG skills are... well, nil.
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Sergeant

-BUMP-
just to make this a bit easier to find..

Quote:
Graphics Needed:
Characters
-Hobbits
-Dwarves
-elves
-Nazgul (horse and winged)
-Ents
-Tenticals (for the Pool outside Moria)
-Balrog
-Worgs
-Shelob
-Plus special ones for the main characters

Terrain
-Mordor
-Dead Marshes
-The Shire
-Paths of the Dead

Towns (I'm thinking of 2 kinds of graphics for each town. One for the 'outside' view, and one for terrain inside each town.)
-Rivendell
-Lorien
-Edoras
-Minas Tirith
-Minas Morgul
-Bree (probably not nessesary)
-Hobbiton
-Henith Anon (again, probably not nessesary)
-Orthac
-Dunharrow
-The Black Gate of Mordor
-WeatherTop (just 'outside' view)

Others
-Eye of Sauron
-Mithiral Items
-Lembas
-Numemor Unique Items

These are just what I thought of while listening to LOTR on tape. If there are more ideas and/or submissions, I won't say no. I was also concidering a darker, more overgrown look for Fangorn, but the standard woods would do.

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old March 7th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Captain

Thanks! Just an update. Turns out that my wife, unknowingly, tossed out the papers that I had done many notes on, so I've been set back a bit. Well, more than a bit. But not completely. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Dark Nova 3 Mod for SEIV Gold, and then I'm gonna focus on this one. I've got 2 another 2 weeks traveling spending evenings in a hotel, so the time is there. I'll start putting regular updates and/or assistance requests up probably by Tuesday. In the meantime, feel free to make any suggestions of what you would like to see in a LOTR mod. Can't promise anything but some ideas might spurn me to action
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Sergeant

I've mannaged to put together some hobbit pictures. Is the email in your profile still valid? If so I'll send them there.

(Does anyone know how you can upload stuff in the mod forums? It seems to have changed, and I can't find an upload/attach function anywhere , I had some other pictures (not LOTR related) that I wanted to upload.)

[ March 08, 2004, 11:03: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5