.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 19th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Corporal

geo981010 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just got smoked in a combat that I *thought* wouldn\'t happen--was this a bug?

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
Geo: Could you rephrase that?
It started with Demosthenes:
Quote:
According to the manual, movement between friendly provinces occurs before movement into enemy territory.
Then Zen asked
Quote:
Also there is the question if a Sieged Province is considered under control of the Castle owner or the Sieger for purposes of movement.
And KO answered
Quote:
The besieger. For friendly movement etc purposes.
Ok, so assume that Abysia is sieging Jotun's castle at province A, and tries to move to province B that Jotun owns (no storming, just moving). But Jotun has an army that moves from province B to province A on the same turn. So that means that the Jotun army moves before the Abysia army does since that is considered friendly movement? Normally there is the collision and pushback chance when two armies move at each other like this, but with the above quotes I am wondering if this is a different case...

[ February 19, 2004, 03:49: Message edited by: geo981010 ]
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Corporal

Demosthenes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Just got smoked in a combat that I *thought* wouldn\'t happen--was this a bug?

Your two armies move at the same time.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

The Jotun does not move before Abysia. This is just a normal case of two armies moving into unfriendly provinces, with chances of pushback etc resolved in the normal way. Abysia controls the besieged province A, Jotun province B. Jotun does not move into A before Abysia, since Jotun does not control A, Abysia does, Abysia as teh besieger controls A. If Abysia Contolled a province C, Abysia could move from C to A before Jotun would have a chance to attack, whether from neighbouring province or through break siege.

[ February 19, 2004, 10:29: Message edited by: johan osterman ]
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:18 PM

Corporal

geo981010 is on a distinguished road

Thanks JohanO for the clarification - rereading it now I must have misread KO's quote as saying the sieged province counted as being owned by the the besiegeD, not the besiegeR, which is why I was confusing myself. Sorry for the confusion!

Interesting that although it counts as the besiegers province for movement purposes, that it counts as the besieged province for the check if a nation owns no provinces and loses. The AI often will have a large army trying to breach it's capitol's castle, and if you take out his other provinces he loses from not owning any provinces. Nice way to avoid fighting his Last big army, although probably a bug?