.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb A More Modern > - Multiplayer "User vs AI" Campaign

Since the RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR II - Multiplayer "User vs AI" Campaign seems to be going pretty well, what are people's thoughts on a more "Modern" campaign using the same system/format? This is still in the early planning stages an I haven't settled on a specific "era" but it would be next up once the Russian Civil War game.

It can be based on a real world situation (Korea, Vietnam, Falklands, Iraq, etc) or totally hypothetical (Cold War gone hot or just totally made up). The goal is something players can get into as far as a story and have some fun with it.

Some criteria to make it workable from an admin perspective;
  • Core Force of "company size" maximum for each player.
  • Foot/Mechanized bases force, no armor (or at least no heavy armor).
  • Location where small maps 30x30, to a 40x40 maximum size would be sufficient for scenarios.
I am also thing about adding a command structure to it so that objectives as well as supply/replacements/reinforcements are handled by a senior commander who may issue a very basic Operations Order to his company commanders (or at least provide me with this information so I can use it for the "briefings"). Another really helpful thing would be for this overall commander to actually "write up" the briefing text file (in a draft format, maybe ) for each of his commanders and provide that to me for finalization and inclusion in the campaign file.

Of course then the next question is HOW do we work in the overall commander so he gets in on the game too.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A More Modern > - Multiplayer "User vs AI" Campaign

Very good idea to campaign vs IA.
I think the other details and then tell them.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:36 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

I think this is the hardest part, making a human have fun while not controlling the grunts.
But how about the name? Russian Civil War:Modern Warfare sounds good for a RCW scen.
Edit: a Korean war:Modern warfare, situation could be awesome, with the human team having as a goal to win before a set date before the war gets nuclear, or something like that, Some Libya war could be very nice aswell, controlling the rebels against Gvt. forces, sorry, brainstorming again, can't keep myself from throwing ideas when they come around...
edit²:how about someone making a cool map? im no artist but may try something...

Last edited by iCaMpWiThAWP; April 15th, 2011 at 11:49 AM..
Old April 17th, 2011, 02:26 AM

First Lieutenant

I'm breaking my head thinking .....
Brainstorm ideas:
- build an operational map with hexes and cards
- the cards are our units
- Play at the brigade level. Each player commands a battalion
- The front of the campaign that does not exceed 10 km
- Setting objectives for a brigade. It occurs to me to take or defend a village, bridges, roads .....
Questions:
- How to create the strength of the IA, and ours.
- Who moved the cards at the ia?

The bad thing is that I can not think how to do
Old April 17th, 2011, 03:32 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I'm breaking my head thinking .....
Brainstorm ideas:
- build an operational map with hexes and cards
- the cards are our units
- Play at the brigade level. Each player commands a battalion
- The front of the campaign that does not exceed 10 km
- Setting objectives for a brigade. It occurs to me to take or defend a village, bridges, roads .....
Questions:
- How to create the strength of the IA, and ours.
- Who moved the cards at the ia?

The bad thing is that I can not think how to do
I actually have a system/format like that set up on paper but using Battalion level with players commanding Companies BUT I would need a Battalion Commander from the players team. Also, to help it from a situation of being me planning the enemy moves and actions against the players (and having access to their plans) I would need someone who is not involved in the actual winSP battles to run the enemy forces as their Commander.

I would also need a situation/theme and forces, etc.
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:12 PM

First Lieutenant

Ok. I understand.
We could simulate a situation border. For example: Italy vs Yugoslavia, North Korea vs South Korea etc.
Creating the fiction. The battalion would be within a brigade, which in the same time would be within a division. I understand that when it comes to operating forces are involved than a brigade or a division.
We created the overall situation and then the task of our battalion.
The front of our battalion should not exceed 5 km (which is a lot I think). Bone that would have maps of 25x25 or 30x30 maximum for each company.
We seek a volunteer to deploy the hypothetical strength of the IA. According as distributed forces is what we will face.
If I have time set up a general map as an example ..
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Corporal

Richard_H is on a distinguished road

Count me in as battalion/brigade commander. I don't necessarily have time to play (as in the game itself) but would be happy to write briefings, have an overview of the situation etc. I'm envisioning having an overall map of the 'front', so that I can then base the briefings on players' results? So that if 2 players out of 3 (for example) get a draw or worse, a battalion withdrawal to a defensible point, with maybe the 3rd player (who we'll assume got a win) overwatching the withdrawal of the other 2.

If you're looking at a 'what-if' campaign, we could even base reinforcements on what's actually in the area - so far as we know it. And if Div happen to come up with some goodies to support a sudden breakthrough . . . .

Shan't be available full-time for about a week, but after that retirement kicks in big time
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
The front of our battalion should not exceed 5 km (which is a lot I think). Bone that would have maps of 25x25 or 30x30 maximum for each company.
I've been thinking of using 40x50 maps (there is a reason for this) for the battle maps. That gives good 2.0 by 2.5 kilometer maneuver area and probably good enough for an average company size force.

The "campaign" would probably need to be hypothetical (winSPMBT) to allow for more creativity at the player and GM levels. It also allows for a mixed/multinational force where players can use their favorite national troops against a common enemy (Red, Blue or Green).

I thought about a WII themed game BUT, it would probably have to be hypothetical as well for playability reasons. If we went WWII using a historical content would limit the type (nations) that would be able to be involved. We also then have to decide which side to use for the players. Personally I would like to find a way to use the early eastern front from the Russian side so I can continue with the Commissar concept.

Old April 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM

First Lieutenant

It would be nice to test historic military operations. Osprey books are to guide us in terms of orders of battle etc..
For modern conflict'm thinking of some possibilities. Mainly I'm thinking of border conflicts with limits. Italy and the former Yugoslavia, North Korea vs South Korea.
Viewing maps with small limits can better manage the number of strategic objectives for opreación. Fewer rivers, fewer bridges, fewer roads and fewer troops will be needed.
To think:
1) Think of troop movements on the strategic map. What is mobility etc.
2) Think of the logistics
3) The land is real. Take it out of google map.
4) How to handle the climate issue.
There are aspects that are not as able to handle. For example espionage. So as you can tell from the enemy's movements.
5) How to resolve the disposition of enemy troops? You can foresee a deployment "logical", or you can ask someone to organize an army and depliegue on the strategic map. Our top commander deployed our forces on the strategic map.
The problem would be to deploy forces in the SP map.
Option 1: We know the deployment of enemy forces and thus know what to buy for the IA
Option 2: I dunno lol
I'm going to the pool. Then s
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM

First Lieutenant

One possibility is also preparing an operation between Russia and Chechnya. Could take part as Chechnya. Mainly the fight would be urban, but we can also put some battles in the field. For example to cut Russian supplies.
http://www.rand.org/pubs/conf_procee...CF162.appc.pdf
Suggest that together the stakeholders choose a theater or make suggestions.
We set the map to play.
I also thought the theater of operations of Pakistan vs India, but it seems a much larger front and complicated. Apart lest we copy the plan and assemble a war really.