.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: USSR vs Germany

USSR vs. Germany

Mission: Delay, Bialystock, USSR, 6/1941 - grouped objectives.

Enemy: Reinforced Battalion Strength – 1-2 Armor Co, 2-4 Infantry Co, 1 Artillery Btry, plus ATG and AAA. Strike aircraft possible. Average force experience, ~75.

I did a few runs allowing the AI to select a force based on the number of points it will have available for an advance. The wild card is rockets. In one run, the AI took a whole battalion of rockets. Consequently, their ground force was smaller.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. The battle area is made up of mostly clear ground with low, rolling hills. Roughly half of the map is level 0 and the other half is level 10. Crossing the map on a NNW-SSE diagonal is a stream. It enters from the south edge about 250m from the east edge of the map. Angling across the map, it exits the north edge about 2000m from the west side. There is a fairly sizable lake just below the north edge and almost completely blocks any chances of flanking along that side. Along the stream and lake are some swamps and trees. The only trees on the map are found in two locations. As mentioned, they can be found along the stream and they are also next to any cultivated fields. There are five of these fields. The trees don't seem to present anywhere in enough numbers to block LOS anywhere critical. One other natural item of note is tall grass. It is reasonably prevalent on the map, but not in the center. The tall grass isn't likely to have an impact.

On the side of man-made features, there are few. Two roads are on the map. One of little consequence parallels the stream to the NNE at about 2000m. It is entirely in my deployment area and well behind the objectives. The second road runs from WSW-ENE, entering from the west edge and exiting the east edge. There is a bridge when it crosses the stream. Finally, there is one building. It wouldn't even be worth mentioning if it weren't for its located; the building is located right next to one of the flag groups. Visibility = 90.

Troops: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co. (7xT26 1939, 5xT26 M1931), 3 Infantry Co., 1 Support Co (3xHMG sec., 2x45mm ATGs, 2x82mm Mort. sec., 2xBA6 ACs, 2xScouts w/trans., 1xEng. Plt, 1xAAMG sec. and 2xSupply Trucks). Average force experience, ~75.

This is the exact same force used in my last battle.

Time: 37 Turns

Analysis

There is no real way to hide on this map. While it might be possible for a person to swing around toward the south edge for a while concealed, it is unlikely the AI will plan to use this. Some may inadvertently use it so this must be taken into consideration.

With the openness of the map, enemy rear area units (AA and ATGs) might actually be able to contribute to the advance with suppressive fire. Again, this will depend on where the AI opts to position such units. If they are on level 0 ground, they will play no part in the battle. On level 10 ground, they should be able to put fire on all level 10 ground in range. This will come into play during my deployment.

The road stretching from one side of the map to the other should play a major part in the battle. Even if not by design, I expect enemy units will end up on it and quickly advance toward the center of my line. Use of this road needs to be covered. The rapid advance of enemy units along this road and the expected slower advance of units elsewhere might allow destruction in detail on the road.

The placement of the stream doesn't really give it any tactical uses. One objective group is on the stream, one forward and one to the rear. With the center objective group to the rear of the stream, covering the two flank groups should cover the center group by default. There is the remote possibility of the enemy flanking along the right side, but it would require moving through a 100m wide gap along the lake after crossing the stream. Covering the northern most objective group will protect against this risk. The other flank doesn't have this problem, but the echeloned nature of the stream means any flanking movement would be delayed once they get through, allowing me to adjust. I believe the stream is just there and really won't play a major role.

One thing I'm going to have to watch is the high visibility and the dirt road. If the enemy uses the road heavily, it may create a dust screen that bisects my line of sight. Periodically, it could be a problem.

Overall, it is hard to plan for any specific line of approach by the enemy. All lines are open and aside from on the road, enemy units should arrive roughly at the same time.

Plan

I'm going to go with my standard deployment using each infantry company to cover selected sectors. Since the center objective group is to the rear of the others, I won't dedicate any units to specifically cover it.

My general deployment will be reverse slope. This is to make sure my units don't draw enemy rear area fire. The high ground will be covered with machine gun teams to the rear of the main line. I hope to be able to sweep the high ground and separate the enemy infantry from their tanks.

Alpha Company will cover the northern objective group. This is located on the stream. Two platoons will be positioned on the back slope of a hill immediately to their front, meaning they will be west of the stream. One platoon will be held in reserve just on the east side of the stream. Three machine gun teams will be located east of the stream and be able to sweep the hill forward of the position. Three medium tanks are also positioned reverse slope on the east side of the stream as well.

Bravo company will be positioned in a salient in the middle of my line. Their main role will be to cover the road coming through my line. The line will be in the form of a salient to conform to the hill to their front. Since my infantry doesn't have any integrated AT weapons, the engineers will be attached to this company. The single engineer squad with flame throwers and satchel charges will be point. One platoon of Bravo will form up on the right and another to the left. The last platoon will be in reserve. Machine guns will be positioned on a hill to the rear to cover the hill in front of Bravo. One light tank platoon will be positioned in the low ground along the road to support any of the three infantry companies. On the rear side of the hill the machine guns are located on will be my two ATGs. If things get hairy, they can move onto the reverse slope quickly for safety.

Charlie Company will position on the left flank, covering the southern objective group. Since the objective group is located on the back side of a hill, two platoons will position on the rear slope of the same hill but somewhat to the south. Since the natural shape of the hill leaves the left flank somewhat in the air, my two armored cars will be located well off to the left to provide additional cover. One platoon of infantry will be positioned in reserve. Machine guns will be positioned on a hill to the rear of this position. Three medium tanks will support the infantry.

The flanks of my line will be covered by a scout team and Kosmolets.

Since the front of the German armor might be stronger than my guns can handle, my medium tanks are positioned on the flanks. One side or the other should be able to hit a soft spot on the enemy. My up top ATGs can deal with units with thin armor.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Plan.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	10490  
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Captain

Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Germany

Turn 0 (Prep Fire)

No prep fire by either side.

Casualties

Friendly: Zero.

Enemy: Zero.
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Captain

Turn 1

To start with, dust is a factor everywhere. It isn't confined to just the road. I found that out very quickly.

Enemy advancing in three groups. One is heading to each of my defending companies.

Two armored cars (231) heading towards Alpha.

Three tanks (Mk IIIe w/37mm) heading towards Bravo.

Seven tanks (Mk IIIe 2w/50mm, 5w/37mm) heading towards Charlie.

Casualties

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Captain

Turn 2

More enemy armor sighted.

Still just two enemy armored cars advancing on Alpha. They are advancing quickly and will be up to my line in a turn or two.

Nine tanks (Mk IIIe 5w/50mm, 4w/37mm) now sighted advancing in the middle.

Seven tanks approaching Charlie misidentified last turn. They are five Mk IIIe w/50mm and two w/37mm.

Well into the rear, two tank destroyers also sighed. I have 20 enemy armored units to deal with.

Casualties

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Captain

Turn 3

Opened up on enemy armored cars with three tanks I have on the right flank. Punched a hole in one at 1300m, but no kill. They closed to within 250m of my line.

The center group of tanks seems to be heading towards a seam between Bravo and Charlie. The southern group of enemy tanks is now in the low ground west of Charlie. I can't see them, but can see the dust.

Casualties

Old September 18th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Captain

Turn 4

Destroyed one of the enemy armored cars on the right with my tanks, but had trouble drawing a bead on the other. Opened up on it with one of my ATGs until it was immobilized. That is good enough for now.

The main concern is the rapidly approaching enemy tanks. Currently, the center group is located about 500m WSW of Bravo left flank and 1000m W of Charlie right flank. They are still in the seam, but my ATGs might have a good day soon. The southern group of enemy tanks is heading to the area to the left of Charlie's left flank. Their current route should put them in the gap between my tanks and armored cars, heading straight for my machine guns. Depending on how I handle Charlie, this could be very good or very bad.

Casualties

Enemy: 1xSdKfz 231(6) armored car destroyed.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Captain

Turn 5

Fired my ATGs at the German tanks with lighter armor. Punched a hole in one at 1300m. I found out the tanks are carrying infantry, so I opened up with all my machine guns. The goal is to separate the infantry from their tanks. There were some casaulties in the enemy infantry, but hard to gage. Started shifting Bravo's reserves to the left.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated 5 casualties.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM

Captain

Turn 6

Still firing my ATGs, but no luck this turn. Continued to go at the enemy with my machine guns as well. Their tanks fired a couple of shots at my machine guns and tanks. One of my medium tanks popped up and took some shots at about 1000m, but no damage. It ducked back down because it was in the LOS of the immobilized enemy AC.

Started my right flank tanks moving to the left. Just after they moved out, the enemy started to pound their old position with artillery.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated 5 casualties.
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Captain

Turn 7

Some moderate firing being exchanged between my units and the enemy. I punched a couple of holes in a few tanks, but still no kills. They moved up and were assaulted unsuccessfully a couple of times as well. One of my ATGs lost a man. My armored cars are also firing. The problem is the Germans pop smoke everytime a shot gets close. There seems to be cloud of smoke drifting across the battle field that I can't destroy tanks within it.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Captain

Turn 8

This is a real mess. The enemy tanks are in knife fighting range. Assaults resulted in one immobilized enemy tank. My ATGs immobilized another. I my tanks scored one kill and heavy damage to another. It is very difficult to gauge progress since I'm not getting many kills. I started shifting Bravo south since the enemy center group is partially hitting their flank and another part of the enemy group pushed forward. My Charlie reserves are moving to their left flank. I've got mortars dropping into the area behind the enemy tanks to the south to cut off any trailing infantry. I'm taking moderate casualties right now. Too many shots are either missing or not killing when they hit.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 15 casualties.

Enemy: 1xPzKw IIIe 50mm tank destroyed, estimated 5 casualties.