This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old August 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Google Is Worthless

That IS a great story - congratulations!
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:09 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

hell, submit this thread to digg.com or a similar site

Just make sure shrapnel can handle the server load. That'll get the word out
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

I went in thinking that I was going to loose and fully prepared to pay the fine, but when I won, I honestly didn't know what to do. I was just as surprised as the Trooper was. I guess the judge just couldn't accept that a Trooper would waste his time citing someone for doing the speed limit... slow drive not moving right my arse.... If 65, the posted speed limit, was to slow, then they should change the law to say so.
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

Actually, it sounded like the Cop offended the Judge in the judge's courtroom and wasted the judge's time (one of the best ways to piss off the judge aside from showing up late).
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

It's not like the judge could actually rule anything else, the text of the law being what it was. The trooper trying to give him backtalk and Atrocities having his stuff together eliminated any margin of ambiguity from it.
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Corporal

theenemy is on a distinguished road

"Google is your friend."

Ancient Chinese proverb
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Interesting, I thought this sort of thing happens only where I live. I had numerous experiences as Atrocities mostly because my last job involved lot of traveling. It's either picking on outsiders or just plain abuse of power. In our law a cop can simply issue a warning if there was no real danger for anybody, but in practice I have never, ever heard of such case. I could go on about my experiences and aggravation that slowly built up over time making me feel more like a victim of then a driver. Worst part is that I'm very careful driver. I mean, if you are on the road almost all the time, reckless driving means trouble for sure.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:31 AM

Captain

Saxon is on a distinguished road

Two things. Google is not the ideal search engine, as results are influenced by the ability of some people to pay and boost their sites. Google is rich and you don’t pay to search, so where is the money coming from…

The other is about traffic tickets. In my old jurisdiction in Canada, the fine is automatically the maximum, but the judge has discretion to reduce it. A common strategy was to contest and hope the cop did not show up. If he does not, you instantly win, as there is no evidence to counter your testimony. Cops are only given so much time in court, the rest of the time is on the street. Very few tickets are actually contested, so this makes sense. Parking tickets never get defended by the cops, as it is just not a good use of resources.

If the cop shows up, you plead guilty, since the court will normally trust the cop more than you. Then you ask the consideration of the court to reduce the fine because you are a poor student, unemployed or whatever applies to you. Typically the fines are cut in half. If you fight and “waste the judges time”, you typically get hit with the full amount. However, if you really feel you must fight, quickly make your argument, like you have in the previous post, make your appeal for leniency and sit down. Don’t make the judge think you are wasting time or annoy them. Short and to the point, then let them move on to the other things in their day.

When you think about it, the judge really doesn’t see your moving violation as a big deal, one way or the other. Even if you were done wrong, it does not compare to a child abuse case or police brutality case, so don’t expect a lot of sympathy or time. They are busy, so respect that and you are more likely to get consideration from them.

In Atrocities case, it was the Trooper who wasted the judges time and got the tongue lashing. The judge didn’t even give time to read the law out loud, he read it himself to speed things up. Well done Mr. Christopher!

As for my current juristiction, you have to go to court for every ticket; there is no option of paying the maximum fine. However, they don't have speed guns, so speeding tickets are not a common problem...
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

You make a good point that hadn't occurred to me. The trooper wasted the the Judges time. That might have been the only reason I came out on top of this. My good fortune.