.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road
Default Mid Game+ magic.

Usually the first 15 or so turns are pretty straight forward choices for me. You know what spells you want instantly, for me its Summon Imp and either Mind burn or Solar Rays so my combat mages can do stuff while I expand. After that its a bit of construction and then some blood to get some better summons etc.

But there comes a point that I'm never quite sure what to push for and I set my research to just go for a single level 9, with no real appreciation of the stuff inbetween.

So I guess my question is, what do you guys see as invaluable or pivotl spells in your mid game onwards development.

I'm just playing an aran map with Ermor as the first nation I have faced, so for me this time it was pushing for holy pyre and getting some good high priests of the sun, forging a couple of flambeau and punishing his enormous hordes of ghouls. But Im floundering now, what to go for !!!!

Spirokeat
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mid Game+ magic.

For death, important spells include:

Drain Life
Summon Spectre
Well of Misery
Reanimate Archers
Revive Bane Lord
Bane Fire

And of course raise skeletons, though that is really normally researched early game.

Some other handy mid game spells:

Relief
Horde from Hell
Thunder Strike
Blade Wind
Falling Fires
Falling Frost
Contact Lamia Queen
False Horror
Frozen Heart
Mother Oak
Gift of Health
Bind Ice Devil
Soul Slay
Nether Darts
Awaken Ivy King
Pheonix Pyre

EDIT: Misread it, thought you were playing Ermor.
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Sergeant

sushiboat is on a distinguished road

I concentrate mostly on Conjuration and Construction to get SC's, SC equipment, unbreakable troops (e.g., Vine Ogres, undead, constructs), and eventually, artifacts. I will split off a small percentage of research points to bring other magic schools to at least level 2. You get Acashic Record at Conjuration 5 for searching your most secure provinces. (Don't waste it on a province that an enemy might be able to capture and hold for a long time.)

For Blood nations, research in Blood substitutes for Conjuration, at least until Blood 5 (Ice Devils).
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

vrs ermor it might be good to get some dark vines and as you have mentioned high preists are really good on them. but i would say if possible get your pretender to summon abominations
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

Funnily enough I don't use dark vines that much but I called some for this game. I often find they dont actually get to the battle quick enough. but any particular reason why dark vines vs Ermor ?

Abominations....never used em, but Conj 9 ? I would have normally said that would come after blood 9 at the least and probably construction 8. Ice devils Ive yet to use. God knows why.

Spirokeat
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

the reason i suggested dark vines vrs ermor is because for the cost they are really dam hard to kill. and i know abominations are hard to get but they are worth it
(266 health and 27 regen a turn with an extremely strong ranged attack and 3 life drain tentacles)
i just have an add liking for dark vines (but then again im also a fan of crossbreeding) and of course vrs ermor (or anyone else for that matter) you could just go with the tried and tested horde of devils
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:23 AM

Sergeant

sushiboat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spirokeat said:
Abominations....never used em, but Conj 9 ? I would have normally said that would come after blood 9 at the least and probably construction 8. Ice devils Ive yet to use. God knows why.
I don't use Abominations either. However, Conjuration 9 has many goodies. Ghost Riders, Tartarian Gate, Haunted Forest, Legion of Wights, and Wild Hunt are all excellent. Even with only a modest Death gem income, you really want to be casting Tartarian Gate. It is probably one of the best bargains in the game.

Ice Devils rock. Arch Devils are good too.
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:42 AM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Dunno about the dark vines. They do have tons of HP, but I find that thier size makes them get swamped so fast that it really doesnt matter. I guess if you had a critical mass of vines it might be pretty effective? How many do people use regularly? Dont think I've ever summoned one, myself...
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:02 AM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironhawk said:
Dunno about the dark vines. They do have tons of HP, but I find that thier size makes them get swamped so fast that it really doesnt matter. I guess if you had a critical mass of vines it might be pretty effective? How many do people use regularly? Dont think I've ever summoned one, myself...
I have used them, they are decent. Like vine ogres except no mr problem, and better stats in general (in particular, four more protection makes a difference). The flip side is they need magic leadership. They are also more expensive, but unlike vine ogres they are not limited in production by your nature gem supply.
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:31 AM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road

dark vines are excellent. they have the charming ability to take down SC's if needed, which more than makes up for any flaws.

7 or 8, w/ chaff support, is good. Casting regen or luck as well, is better.