.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 4th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: team victory conditions

Quote:
Surely that should be down to both players to organise, rather than the game? If you don't communicate with your allies, then that's whats going to happen.
The problem is that the way it is now you can't fight together, whereas if alliances were implemented, you could fight together. It's more than preventing accidental encounters.

Quote:
I'm kind of 50/50 on the whole alliance thing. On the one hand, it could prove useful to the AI to know that one or more players are working as a team (i.e. it could assess the threat of both players as a combined force rather than individually, and act accordingly).
Not to mention that you could script in advantages for the alliance players (shared vision, etc.).

Quote:
On the other, your troops are fighting to ensure that you become the one true god. I can't really see them being willing to work alongside these other guys who keep telling them their God is a fraud, and they should worship this other guy...
Yup. It's bending the rules slightly. But I can live with that. Just pretend they're fighting together temporarily for the time being or something.

Quote:
I can't picture Marignon working with Ermor.
Then don't set up an alliance with Ermor. Just that you can, doesn't have to mean you have to. It's like Age of Empires II: You CAN have the Aztecs fight the Chinese, but you don't have to if you're into realism.

(As a side note, it's funny how alliances and teams are in every RTS game, but when it comes to 4X, suddenly no one wants them)
Old July 5th, 2006, 03:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I didnt say I didnt want them. I just dont want the game deciding what they are, and enforcing them unrealistically. I love alliance options with AI's (because I abuse them to death) but in a game like this I like the flexibility which automatically happens by creating your own alliance rules.

I know the game allows AI to ally with AI but Im not sure if it works for AI to player. In the AI-AI version they wont actually attack each others province but if they both attack someone elses province on the same turn then their armies will fight.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Nothing would keep you from breaking an alliance - you'd simply get a warning that you'd be breaking the alliance, and the other player (and possibly _all_ players in the game) would get a notification that a treaty/alliance has been broken by so-and-so.

And again : the even more important aspect is that when someone goes AI, the AI could know about treaties, alliances, as opposed to completely trashing a MP gamer as often happens now.

( And yes - I would say it ruins a game at least for the person who had a treaty, their armies on the other side of their empire, and gets rolled over when the other player goes AI. )
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Major

Folket is on a distinguished road

I see no thematic problems with firm alliances. Most religions that have existed up to date have more then one god.

Even the jewish religion (which later spawned cristianity and Islam) may have it roots in Polyteistic faith. The bible have referenses to a fertility god worshiped by semitic people in Syria. I do not know the exact name. Could be Belzebub or Belial. If anyone is intrested I can look it up .

I think it would also be a very intresting feature for SP as you may set up thematic senarios for AARs or if you want a challange.
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

You can set them up in SoloPlay. At least as an opponent. In fact I did that in my WEvsTHEM scenario where Rlyeh, Atlantis, and Ermor were ruled by 3 sibling dragons. With boosted gods, selected starting positions, extra castles, etc its a pretty good scenario for cooperative human players to tackle.
www.Dom2minions.com

Its not my place to explain this but did anyone notice this on the developement page?
* Support for > 30 nations at once.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Multiplayer alliances would be excellent... especially if armies could cross provinces of allies.
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Crossing allied provinces can be done now.
For one thing its one of the benefits of allying with certain nations. And even if they dont have some basic ability to do it you can always setup a castle to let them thru.

I dont think Ive ever really liked games that allowed allies to cross too easily. It tends to get abused.
Old July 7th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NTJedi said:

Multiplayer alliances would be excellent... especially if armies could cross provinces of allies.

Well I think MP allieances should allow joint attack on provinces, if there will be something like diplomacy/alliance in the game sometime.
I think that would be the most important part of the alliance system.
Just imagine, 2 or even more players could attack the same province...what a great addition for the strategical part of the game. Like I said this system worked flawlessly in the RotK games, I loved it so much.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."