.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 5th, 2012, 02:30 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: seeking arrow

Ok, I did 10 tests of 10 Seeking Arrows cast at 10 Scouts wearing Shrouds of the Saint conferring an S9 bless (thus Twist Fate)

Thus from 100 casts 25 resulted in hits and 7 deaths. Of notice was that Calahans testing showed that 50% of scouts die but with my test only 28% of those hit died, but given I only tested the equivalent of 100 Seeking Arrows vs Calahans 300 this could account for it. The testing gave an average of 2.5 hits per round with a standard deviation of 1.08, perhaps further testing could be done to lower the error but I can't be stuffed.

Those not hit received this message:

"Suddenly an arrow appeared out of the sky and headed straight for X's heart. But for some reason X managed to escape his deadly fate and got away with only a scratch."

The take home message is that Seeking Arrow cast at a unit wearing a Saint of the Shroud conferring an S9 bless (Twist Fate) will ignore the Twist Fate effect 25% of the time.

Test save game attached, it needs the DebugMod.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TwistFateSeekingArrowTest.zip (33.7 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Doo; June 5th, 2012 at 02:47 AM..
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:23 AM

Sergeant

Moar tests!

Doubting that Twist Fate gives 100% protection to the first damage a unit takes I tested it in a battle. I could have done it more simpler in hindsight but...

I took a Markata scout and equipped it with Shroud of the Saint conferring the Twist Fate effect. I equipped a Son of Niefel with a Rod of Death and set him to Attack Closest. I then sent them to battle each other. I tested 26 times and 5 times from watching the battles I saw this occur:

The Markata would be hit for 1 damage (with no floating number to indicate this but with a red "hit" splash) but the Twist Fate effect was still on the Markata. See the attached files for the 5 replays. Replay 5 in particular is good because the Markata loses one hp, gains an affliction and retains the Twist Fate effect. The replays require the Dogfight map. The game name is simply "gh".

I know there is an effect with the battle replay being silly but I don't know enough about it to say if this is what I'm seeing. I think it happens in MP games and results in different results in the battle to whats reported.

If what I'm seeing is true then it seems Twist Fate works more like this:

Twist Fate gives roughly 75-80% immunity to ritual damage, but with no limit to damage taken if it fails. In battle 20-25% of the time 1 hp of damage will bypass the Twist Fate effect (and allow for afflictions) without removing the Twist Fate effect.

Poor test Markata fighting a Son of Niefel, however twice out of the 26 tests he the Markata took non-lethal damage, fled and survived to gain entry into the Hall of Fame! Totally worth it
Attached Files
File Type: zip TwistFateMeleeTesting.zip (156.6 KB, 51 views)
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:50 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Just checked your SA vs TF tests, and you can't test Twist Fate by having all the Scouts in the same province because there is no guarantee that each Seeking Arror will target a separate Scout (in fact the odds say it's pretty much a guarantee that they won't). And since (from the tests, see next) it appears the TF effects does get removed after the first successful hit it negates, the next SA that targets the same unit will be without TF in the equation. (so becomes just a normal SA vs Scout test)

Just ran your test game. Only 1 Scout died, and of the 10 SA's cast at those 10 Scouts the two most important message results to take notice of are... (Orivade is the name of the Scout)

"Suddenly an Arrow...yadda yadda... but for some reasons Orivade managed to escape his deadly fate and got away with only a scratch"

then a later message in the message log

"Suddenely an arrow...yadda yadda... struck Orivade straight in the heart. He died instantly"

I interpret this as the first SA got negated by the TF, and the second SA killed him because he didn't have TF anymore.

If you want to run TF tests you need to put 10 Scouts in 10 separate provinces, as the moment you double up any then the tests become invalid. (the same slight concern as this does in theory exist over the Death bless tests I did, but there I was only looking for any evidence of the Death Bless having an effect, and I was not testing for the exact percentage.)
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:26 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

With regards to the markata vs jotun, I'm 99% sure that is due to the giant parrying the markata's attack. Twist fate is not negated by damage from parrying, so that would explain it neatly.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
The Following User Says Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post:
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Sergeant

The Markata has TF, not the giant. Just checked and the Markata has no shield.

I had trouble logging in here so I put my next test here.

Unfortunately that forum wouldn't let me upload so here is the file for that test.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SeekingArrowTwistFateTest.zip (29.9 KB, 50 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Doo For This Useful Post:
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:53 AM

Captain

sansanjuan is on a distinguished road

Thanks all.. Was always curious as to whether twist fate "reconciled" a hit in the ritual hase. Good to know it does.
ssj

"I yam what I yam" - Popeye
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM

Sergeant

Just tested Seeking Arrow vs Ethereal (Black Servants).

100% of Seeking Arrows hit out of a sample size of 10.

Ethereal offers no protection.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EtherVsSeeking Arrow.zip (29.9 KB, 57 views)
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:56 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Yes, I understand that it was the markata with twist fate. However, I said parry instead of what I actually meant, repel. In any case it looks like calahan mentioned that the damage was from repel and strange 1 damage results on the other forum anyway, so my comment is a bit unnecessary now :P I have noticed many times in playing that a result of 1 damage would not pop twist fate, but I've always attributed this to being a special factor of either the repel mechanic or poison, which are the two most obvious ways you'll see 1 damage being done to a given unit.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Sergeant

BewareTheBarnacleGoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
Not sure if things like equipped shields or the Clock of Missile Deflection help. Lets try searching....
Having never used the ROBE of missile deflection, I didn't initially think this was a typo, and was super excited to try wishing for the CLOCK of missile deflection!
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareTheBarnacleGoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
Not sure if things like equipped shields or the Clock of Missile Deflection help. Lets try searching....
Having never used the ROBE of missile deflection, I didn't initially think this was a typo, and was super excited to try wishing for the CLOCK of missile deflection!
Flavor Flav, one of the very few hip hop masters never to be shot. True story.