The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old August 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SEV: What am I REALY getting for my money?

Steam hate.

From what I remember, Fyron, wasn't the MoO2 combat system such that the attacker always got to start? I remember eradicating entire Doom Star fleets with a single Doom Star of my own, simply because I always got to start and had massive amounts of plasma cannons. Guess it might have been fixed/balanced in a patch, as I only played it unpatched.
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The 1.31 patch added a decent initiative system. This is what I was refering to. The original release did indeed have a crappy combat model. If you ever play MOO2 again, make sure to get the patch.

Of course, you can still abuse it with phased cloak and the temporal device that gives you 2 turns for one... But that's not necessarily an issue with the combat mechanics themselves, more with not thinking about the consequences of these two high end components.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ringold said:
Last second idea: You know, SiN Episodes found a ton of pirates out by updating through Steam exclusively. If Malfador does the same thing then patches would be more of a pain to distribute. We legitimate customers wouldn't even know a patch occured because it'd happen automagically next time we ran Steam. Pirates on the other hand would flood the message boards revealing themselves all complaining about the bug that was just patched, as happened with SiN. Don't know if thats feasible, random idea though. They want new features and patches, then pay up!
I kind of have to disagree here. For example, the whole idea Steam is based upon assumes the entire user base has constant access to high-speed internet. This is one reason I don't like Steam. I'm stuck with dial-up internet, and really don't have a choice about it until I move to a larger population center. Second reason I don't like Steam is the very fact that you don't have a hardcopy. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like something physical that shows I own the product, something that isn't just on my computer and in someone's database showing that, yes, I'm allowed to own that product. It opens up a host of potential problems, from people hacking into Steam's database to allow whoever they want to download whatever they want, or even simple database errors which could cause Steam to reject whatever I'm trying to legitimately download.

Sorry for the rant about Steam, it's not really the topic this thread it about!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Or with Valve deciding to ban you, thus locking out access to *all* your Steam based games, with no appeal possible.

Given how often I've been marked as cheating when I'm NOT, that's not a small concern. (one popular anti-cheat method thinks I'm speedhacking any time I get packet loss, for example)

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Private

Dejavuproned is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
Quote:
Ringold said:
Last second idea: You know, SiN Episodes found a ton of pirates out by updating through Steam exclusively. If Malfador does the same thing then patches would be more of a pain to distribute. We legitimate customers wouldn't even know a patch occured because it'd happen automagically next time we ran Steam. Pirates on the other hand would flood the message boards revealing themselves all complaining about the bug that was just patched, as happened with SiN. Don't know if thats feasible, random idea though. They want new features and patches, then pay up!
I kind of have to disagree here. For example, the whole idea Steam is based upon assumes the entire user base has constant access to high-speed internet. This is one reason I don't like Steam. I'm stuck with dial-up internet, and really don't have a choice about it until I move to a larger population center. Second reason I don't like Steam is the very fact that you don't have a hardcopy. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I like something physical that shows I own the product, something that isn't just on my computer and in someone's database showing that, yes, I'm allowed to own that product. It opens up a host of potential problems, from people hacking into Steam's database to allow whoever they want to download whatever they want, or even simple database errors which could cause Steam to reject whatever I'm trying to legitimately download.

Sorry for the rant about Steam, it's not really the topic this thread it about!
I have to agree with you whole-heatedly on the steam issue. I for one will be looking in my local EB for SEV (I hope they will carry it) as I hate steam with a passion, the hate was emphisied when I tried to fire up old copy of Day of Defeat one day and steam in its infinate wisdom tells me its already registered to a steam account... OF COURSE IT IS MY FEAKING STEAM ACCOUNT YOU PIECE OF ****. And this was with having a hard copy, which is another thing that I HATE about steam is even if you get HL2 off the store shelf they make you go through steam to access the freaking game! Anyways im just glad it was a game i didnt care to much for, what if it was a game I forked out 60 hard earned dollars for and I liked?

Say no to steam!

(sorry for the rant)
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Private

Draxis is on a distinguished road

I for one really like steam - I dont have to bother carrying a hard copy around with me, and unlike the lame D2D service which I hope is already dead, with steam you can install on as many comps and redownload as often as you need. Patches are all taken care of, downloads are fast (most games its quicker for me to download than go to town and find the game) and prices are good. Its got an easy interface, doesnt mess me about, and the 'friends' feature is really handy.

As for torrents...cant you just spoof the tracker and upload garbage? How much validation on data can a client perform? Assuming they use a CD image, broken bytes here and there could cripple it. If that were possible, imagine how hard it would be to get SE:V off a torrent if every leagal owner was uploading junk data.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Major General

NullAshton is on a distinguished road

Steam does not block access to all your games. If you are caught cheating, your license for THAT GAME ONLY is banned from all VAC secured games. And it's very hard to set off the VAC anti-cheat system. At least from what I read, anyway.

Steam is nifty(for broadband users at least), in that you get automatic patches, and that the anti-cheat system that they use scares cheaters into not cheating. It's not as effective as they say, but the permanent ban serves to scare users into playing the game how it's meant to be played. Not to mention the authentication system hampers pirates that steal games, without invasive software such as Starforce. Just log into your account once, identify yourself as who you are, and then you can go play offline mode without the internet as long as you want.

Some of this stuff may be inaccurate, so feel free to point out inaccuracys. But in my experience, Steam runs flawlessly and gives you a lot of convienent features.

Vala - "The last time I was this bored, I took hostages!"
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NullAshton said:
anti-cheat system that they use scares cheaters into not cheating. It's not as effective as they say, but the permanent ban serves to scare users into playing the game how it's meant to be played. Not to mention the authentication system hampers pirates that steal games, without invasive software such as Starforce.
I don't see how Steam is any different than invasive software such as Starforce. It's just the implementation that is slightly different.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

I think Steam works alright as an *addition* to the hard-copy packages, but it should never become a replacement.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Draxis said:
How much validation on data can a client perform?

Quite a lot, actually. The entire protocol is designed with perfect file transfers in mind, so each piece of the whole is validated with hash checks and such, as is the final copy.

You can't make a CD that will change how a CD image is created unless you use illegal (or at the least, highly immoral) rootkit garbage like Starforce that damages your CD drivers in such a way that it can prevent CD images from being made.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.