.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: MP etiquette-going AI

well hooley, i didn't say an alliance before the game, i said very early. i think i said turn 5, but if it was turn 10, that is not all that big a difference.

the reason i was so heavy handed in diplomacy is because i beleived i had the upper hand. i then attacked with my SC, and he fell asleep, and you killed him. EXTREMELY dumb on my part, but hey, i'm the only one to blame there. i actually can be a very pleasant neighbor...when i think you are stronger than me. and obviously i either overestimated myself, underestimated you, or both.

also, i was a bit surprised to find shardphoenix, a guy who has helped me many times by answering my questions, was my neighbor in a newbie game!! of course, i didn't figure this out until you and i were mauling one another.

in short, i realize that due to my own miscalculations and your alliance, that this game is hopeless. but i did figure one thing out: if you really don't care, you can cook off a turn in no time at all! so i won't be going AI. but if you are nice to me, i might withdraw to the north, cede you a bunch of territory, stop my raiding in force, and give you my southern castle. we'll just have to decide where you will stop coming. this way, shard don't get too much of my corpse, and maybe i can spring a nasty surprise!!!

well, since this is public, i guess that won't work...
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

I've only played a couple MP games, so I'm sort of in the same boat as you as far as experience is concerned, parone. One of my games, after getting off to a great start, I was quickly and brutally pushed back to my capital. I've spent more than half the game besieged in my capital.

It was by far the best MP learning experience I've had. I have practically no hope of overcoming my current situation, but it has helped me a ton. I've been able to learn a lot about efficiency in research, summoning, and forging. All stuff it might have taken me a lot longer to realize or learn through games where I was doing better. Its worth sticking it out to the bitter end, IMO.
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM

Sergeant

Legendary League is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parone View Post
well hooley, i didn't say an alliance before the game, i said very early. i think i said turn 5, but if it was turn 10, that is not all that big a difference.

the reason i was so heavy handed in diplomacy is because i beleived i had the upper hand. i then attacked with my SC, and he fell asleep, and you killed him. EXTREMELY dumb on my part, but hey, i'm the only one to blame there. i actually can be a very pleasant neighbor...when i think you are stronger than me. and obviously i either overestimated myself, underestimated you, or both.

also, i was a bit surprised to find shardphoenix, a guy who has helped me many times by answering my questions, was my neighbor in a newbie game!! of course, i didn't figure this out until you and i were mauling one another.

in short, i realize that due to my own miscalculations and your alliance, that this game is hopeless. but i did figure one thing out: if you really don't care, you can cook off a turn in no time at all! so i won't be going AI. but if you are nice to me, i might withdraw to the north, cede you a bunch of territory, stop my raiding in force, and give you my southern castle. we'll just have to decide where you will stop coming. this way, shard don't get too much of my corpse, and maybe i can spring a nasty surprise!!!

well, since this is public, i guess that won't work...
If you still intend to go AI, parone, I'm very permissive about it (again, not having fun or learning, might as well). Still, I'd be better to find a sub in that case (or I can help find one for you).

I've been skitting about the edge of the war in question, and which really kinda threw a monkey wrench in my own plans.

My opinion is that in general, diplomacy is as important an aspect of the game as scripting your commanders and armies, etc. Being able to plan who you're at war against, and insuring temporary peace against those whom you'd rather not go against (and even forging coalitions against large threats), are all integral parts of the game. I don't have much knowledge about the specifics of the encounter, but the best I can say that it's part of the game. People will inevitably bandwagon against a losing war (because it's easier gains for them). The best I would suggest is to keep up a lively rapport with all your neighbors, even if only to glean information on neighbors etc.

I'll admit, when I first played MP, I was terrible at it. One game, I just got straight-up smashed by a CW Pan when playing Helheim, and did a terrible job conducting my diplomacy overall. Another game, I made NAPs with all my neighbors, sat on my hands most of the game, and got promptly squished by larger empires (ehm). etc, etc. My diplomacy this game has also been less than stellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoht View Post
I've only played a couple MP games, so I'm sort of in the same boat as you as far as experience is concerned, parone. One of my games, after getting off to a great start, I was quickly and brutally pushed back to my capital. I've spent more than half the game besieged in my capital.

It was by far the best MP learning experience I've had. I have practically no hope of overcoming my current situation, but it has helped me a ton. I've been able to learn a lot about efficiency in research, summoning, and forging. All stuff it might have taken me a lot longer to realize or learn through games where I was doing better. Its worth sticking it out to the bitter end, IMO.
You aren't quite dead yet! There is still a chance I can save you (via diplomacy, or other measures)! ...unlikely, but still! I kinda still wanted to turtle for just a few more turns, but it's still possible (if implausible)!
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as going AI parone, its a mistake...

Everyone makes mistakes and you can make them howl over it...

I don't know what position your playing but if you can horror mark their SC's, then summon horrors...

Make them regret going into your capitol...

I always send a scout into the castle to see what their plan is...

I learned that the hard way...

Losing is learning...

Force them to finish you off and watch how they do it.

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

What game is this? I haven't done online multiplayer, but I can probably figure it out and subbing in this sounds like a pretty good way to start. I may not have much in the way of experience, but I can effectively guarantee being better than the AI.
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:44 AM

First Lieutenant

parone is an unknown quantity at this point

not going AI. just deciding whether or not to try to stay alive, or try to do as much damage as possible while dying.
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Corporal

3V4JKZ2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Quote:

Hilariously, I got in literally the exact same position in my first game with samoht...and I am sticking out to the bitter end, and have every intention of making seiging my final fort the biggest pain in the arse ever.
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:24 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

oh your fort is already a very, very large pain in the proverbial rear end.

It would be too embarassing to admit how much time I spend every day just glaring at your capital on my computer screen.
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road

My spies keep dying guys, but that is one battle I want to see between Samoht and 3v4jkz2!

Also, how much under does one man need when they only count as 1/10 of person when sieging?
Old March 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road

Last stands are a lot of fun, especially when you have some decent mages to sacrifice. Practice playing dirty!