Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 26th, 2016, 01:05 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: French Para Obat error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
I on the other hand would respectfully disagree with you on the AI, granted it's not as intuitive as a human but, at least we have options to improve it's capabilities to give you a challenge. I have never seen the AI in any game not have units provide covering fire, how many players remember to do the same? Or how the AI likes to send a handful of tanks or recon units to your rear solely to deprive you of points because that's grabbing victory flags in your rear. Or helicopter and rarely airborne units being landed in your rear for the same purpose as just noted that's intuitive to me. How many of us would think to do that in a losing cause just to deprive the opponent of a "grander" victory? Is there things I'd like to see changed, absolutely! How might the game change if it had the option for ammo resupply the human player has? How many games might you/we have lost or lessen our victory points just on that change alone? In the preview we'll see some changes to the AI in a positive direction. And until we see more you can make it harder on yourself and better for the AI in the current game settings.

I only play a small part in this game in trying to make it better with my "One World One OOB" process in dealing with equipment issues and tracking various projects sometimes for years. With life, family and work the hours are very long and demanding of my free time in support of these games. These are grains in the sand compared to what some do and can't even touch the commitment of Andy and Don. The point is the AI from a resting stand point of view makes the most sense in play-ability and simple observation of the game mechanics involved.

And now CINCLANTFLT has advised me my time is up and I need to get ready for work.

Regards,
Pat
Hi; And sorry, I have to disagree with you. The AI is stupid. If a unit gets brewed up it will drive a second unit into the same hex, get it killed, and then send in a third and fourth. The AI artillery will ignore onboard artillery and shoot up an empty field while enemy units are running around its' rear areas. I have never seen the AI use OW or fire and movement nor put down a smoke screen on its' flanks to protect the attack. The AI will do one thing and one thing only, charge directly forward after a flag and destroy itself. The AI is zero challenge.

Cheers.
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:06 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Got it
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

Hi; And sorry, I have to disagree with you. The AI is stupid. If a unit gets brewed up it will drive a second unit into the same hex, get it killed, and then send in a third and fourth. The AI artillery will ignore onboard artillery and shoot up an empty field while enemy units are running around its' rear areas. I have never seen the AI use OW or fire and movement nor put down a smoke screen on its' flanks to protect the attack. The AI will do one thing and one thing only, charge directly forward after a flag and destroy itself. The AI is zero challenge.

Cheers.
And yet when the AI hands people their a$$ they tell us it cheats.....addmittidly that hasn't been happening recently but every once in awhile a newbie who's been told the AI is a complete waste of time gets creamed then it starts. If it wasn't for the AI doing dumb things a lot of players couldn't win.

We didn't build the game for the hardcore 2%

Pat presents you with his observations and you dismiss them..... nice

Don
Old March 26th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road

I dismissed them? I RESPECTFULLY disagreed. YOU dismissed my rebuttal. Does only Pat's view count because he has 1000+ posts here, I don't spend any time here for a reason long ago stated.

But to get along with Shrapnel...The AI is wonderful, it is the best there is, no need to play a human who thinks. NICE.
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

The AI is not totally predictable and that alone makes it better then many I've seen.

Sure it's basic tactic is "Banzai !", but given most of the situations (assaults, advances, meeting engagements) represented in the game, the size of the map, the number of forces involved, and the scenario time limit what else can it do?
The maps rarely have room for a flanking maneuver even if the scenario was long enough to try one. Usually the AI concentrates most of it's forces in one section of the map with a few flanking units and bulls ahead, it really has no other option. Once in a while it puts almost everything on one flank or the other, sometimes it buys/uses airborne/airmobile forces, sometime it has airstrikes, frequently it has hordes of mortars/artillery which it occasionally uses for counter-battery but more often concentrates someplace it's spotted a few of the players units, it can't "see" what, if any, units are behind those so it takes an educated guess.

It's hardly as smart as all the the most foolish players but it's not moronic.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

It's hardly as smart as all but the the most foolish players but it's not moronic.

((I really wish the forums allowed Firefox to edit posts))

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Try hitting the edit button a second time when you have the spinning thing - works for me 75% of time (Firefox, Win7)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old March 27th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Try hitting the edit button a second time when you have the spinning thing - works for me 75% of time (Firefox, Win7)
Yeah , I hit the edit button two or three times now just out of habit. Once is not usually enough to get it's attention

Don

Last edited by DRG; March 27th, 2016 at 09:28 AM..