This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old December 1st, 2003, 06:14 PM

Private

Stone-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does anyone know who to disable the auto-difficulty

To fix this, in a way, try the following.

Open Main_Enemies.txt. Near the top, you'll find this :

code:
Enemy Base Resist All Start := 0
Enemy Resist All Modifier Per Level Added Amount := 3

Change the 3 to a 1. This gives that element of satisfaction without raping the gameplay outright. Well, it works for me anyway(1).

(1) Note that the fact that I have A) removed all mines / mine layers from the game(2) and B) added some heavy beam weapons for all and sundry may have an effect on this.

(2) A failed attempt to fix the Terran hostility issue. Kept it anyway because it improves the fighting - enemies no longer cruise along aiming their buttholes at your weapons array.
Old December 1st, 2003, 06:45 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

You can stick with smaller ships; I didn't move past an Abbidon Cruiser 2 until near the end of the third campaign!

But it will be harder, especially when you go up against multiple ships. The cruisers may not have more forward weapon points, but those side points are more useful than you might think, and they have more space for defenses.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:16 PM

Private

LesserHellspawn is on a distinguished road

Impressive....
How did you deal with Xiati battleships in campaign 2 ? With them being able to fire at least 2 light and 3 heavy weapons in any direction, I found myself overwhelmed all too quickly in a cruiser.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:23 PM

Private

Din Ahmed is on a distinguished road

@Stone-D

What exactly does the change that you mentioned do. It's not quite clear what the is supposed to do...

Does anyone know if your can mod the ship so that the 4 weapon slots in the front fits Light Weapons rather than 2 + 2 in its current configuration...
Old December 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM

Private

Please ignore my question about the light-heavy weapon mod. Someone had already answered in my other thread "Having problem with Campaign 1 first mission". Thanks anyways.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LesserHellspawn:
Impressive....
How did you deal with Xiati battleships in campaign 2 ? With them being able to fire at least 2 light and 3 heavy weapons in any direction, I found myself overwhelmed all too quickly in a cruiser.
They were a pain, but if you stay tight on their rear you can stay out of the firing arcs. It not exactly easy though.

It helps that the abbidon Cruiser 2 III has only 1 or 2 hundred kT less than the Xiati battleship..

EDIT: as far as stone-d's comment, what that does is reduce the resist all gained per level. In other words, it reduces the enemies's ability to negate the special effects of things like Tachyon Cannons. By default, each level you gain improves their protection by 3%; his mod changes that to 1%.

This protection is above and beyond anything you could get.

[ December 02, 2003, 21:49: Message edited by: Phoenix-D ]

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:10 AM

Private

Now that you explained it, it makes soo much sense. If the baddies gain resists per level, do you?

Speaking of stats, I went and check the CharStat.txt in the Campaign 1 folder. I was wondering what exactly does Attack do & Defense actually do... Sure it probably has to do with the combat but how.

What the difference between ECM & Jammer? One gives you defense and the other reduces the enemy’s ability to target you (-XX Targeting or something in the description). If the enemy misses when he shoots those beam weapons at me, is it due to the Defense or unable to target (Jammer).

And while we are at it, what are the difference between Standard shields and Advance Phased Shields. They’re more expensive for the same amount of shielding but don't see any discernable difference.

How can we make the beam weapons (for both enemies or mine) for accurate. Both of us miss soo bad that I simply just stick to Meson BLasters for the mean time.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:15 AM

"Now that you explained it, it makes soo much sense. If the baddies gain resists per level, do you?"

No, you don't. You get other things..

"Speaking of stats, I went and check the CharStat.txt in the Campaign 1 folder. I was wondering what exactly does Attack do & Defense actually do... Sure it probably has to do with the combat but how."

Probably adds to the attack and defense values like combat sensors.

"What the difference between ECM & Jammer? One gives you defense and the other reduces the enemy’s ability to target you (-XX Targeting or something in the description). If the enemy misses when he shoots those beam weapons at me, is it due to the Defense or unable to target (Jammer)."

They do the same thing effectively. The effect ends up stacking.

"And while we are at it, what are the difference between Standard shields and Advance Phased Shields. They’re more expensive for the same amount of shielding but don't see any discernable difference."

If you're hit with a Phased Poleron Beam or other phased weapon, you will. Normal shields provide NO protection against phased weaponry.

"How can we make the beam weapons (for both enemies or mine) for accurate. Both of us miss soo bad that I simply just stick to Meson BLasters for the mean time. [/QB][/quote]"

Up the values for Combat Sensors, master computers and/or up your attack rating and/or decrease the defense values for ECM, master computers, scanner jammers and the like.

-Digger
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:16 AM

PvK is on a distinguished road

When I interviewed Aaron ( LINK ), he said that not only does experience level affect the opponents' abilities, but that the size and power of your own ship does as well.

Quote:
AH: All of the ships and components in StarFury are dynamically scaled based on your character\ship. When new ships are created by the game, the strength of that ship is adjusted to match your relative strength. Also, the number of enemy forces you encounter are based on your level and the difficulty of the game. The higher the difficulty, the more ships that will be in an enemy group.

Anyone found a way to mod out the effect of the player's ship power on the enemies faced?

PvK
Old December 3rd, 2003, 07:14 AM

Private

Stone-D is on a distinguished road

If "Enemy Resist All Modifier Per Level Added Amount" is 3, this means that at level 30 (where I ended the first time I played), enemies will resist 90% of all damage.

I clicked onto this modifier because, although a Sithrak throwing a Null-Space torpedo up my rear end will send most of my internal components into the red, MY Null-Space torpedos did negligible damage to them. I find this most unfair, especially as the enemies benefit from whatever normal components they use.

As a side note, I noticed that the game supports resistance modifiers against toxins/psychic attacks - but no components exist that use them. So I modded the lifesupport/crew quarters to have those capabilities and made them level based.