.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM

First Lieutenant

Zooko is on a distinguished road
Default to make watching battles more enjoyable

I wish for a slider allowing me to fast-forward, rewind, and jump to specific moments in the battle. Just think of the battle as being a movie and think of the slider that comes with Quicktime or Real media movies, etc.

I wish that I wouldn't have to sit wait for arrows to make their way through the sky. Maybe arrows could be fired simultaneously with other moves (a la the "realtime battles (not RTS)" wish)? Maybe arrows could just fly with incredible speed? (After all, flying units do!) Maybe if I get the above wish then I can just click the "jump forward 2 seconds" button every time a volley of arrows is loosed.
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM

Private

RadiantFleet is on a distinguished road
Default AI Improvement

Below is a repost from a different thread:

I would like to see some modularity for the AI in Dom3, specifically the main program calling an AI "module" or script that can be tinkered with by players. I think Space Empires IV is a good start, but really anything that would let players tinker with the decision trees by nation and "flavor". I think this would be a huge benefit for both players and illwinter, since the players would get better AI's and we'd help keep Kristofer from getting programmer burn out. I think this strategy has worked extremely well for maps, and would be a big benefit in the AI arena.

PS. Another great example of using modules for AI control is the old tank game "omega".
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:13 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wound them all, and let God sort them out

More 'skills' as abilities (mistform, sneak, assasination, sailing...). Eg. thief: a chance to steal an item and/or gems from (semi-)random commander in province, if it doesn't succeed immediately multiple throws against stealth or be found, number of throws dependant on the power of the item/number of gems/recruiting cost of the commander in question/prophethood etc.

Hero improvements, like:
A) Heroes that change not only according to a nation/theme, but on pretender form, his/her/its magics, scales, dominion, pure luck - everything! Or maybe just heroes dependent on titles.
or B) Heroes bringing items, spells, bodyguards etc. with them. Heroes enabling their nation to cast more spells (when 'addHeroX' then 'addNationalSpellX'), forge new items (eg. Master of the Iron Crutch - Iron Crutch (cursed, poison cloud, disease... )

More events, events scaling with time, events dependent on everything as in the hero suggestion above or, again, titles.

When someone kills a god, or even a pretender, something should happen. Lady of Luck: Luck set to -3, unrest increased... Dependent on pretender's form, scales, titles, magic...

'Timer' so that commands other than fort construction take more than one turn, and this as moddable (unique Master Artificer could craft a Crusher if given 6 months).

Independants being able to defend their forts, hide in them, break siege if needed, recruit more units (up to max(suppliesAvailable, difficultyMax)), independent temples slowing dominion spread, independent mages collecting gems (slowly)...

'Independent nations' for Random Map Creator:
All neighbours of a "citadel" are of the same type (eg. trolls, vaettir, wolfriders), and the citadel itself has a castle, is richer than other provinces, has/can have special defenders...

New spells, including: , ightning:, [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Bug.gif[/img], Wrath of Seas, [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Racoon.gif[/img], [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon24.gif[/img], [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon10.gif[/img], [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon07.gif[/img], , [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Acorn.gif[/img], [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img] and Sea of !

Ability to mod population types. Ability to give population type defenders that are not the same as the units recruitable there (eg. C'tissian independents, after killing them you get only Slave Lizards), and add special things to the poptype(eg. the independent c'tissian always has a lab, Rarity!, can only be found on a swamp province that borders another swamp province and province that isn't a swamp, has greater chance for magic sites)...

Ability to import characters from Dominions Roguelike!

Things from the old Wishlist for DomII, as developers see fit.

Whatever balancing Illwinter sees as appopriate.

Also, PLEASE make DomIII to be like DomII, unique. I would like to see something I didn't expect, balancing community didn't request, features that were added "just because", Things That Should Be. Dominions III should be something that won't be expected, something that hits like an Orb Lighting cast by a Virtue hovering high above, something that strikes us mortals with awe... Also, don't take this thread too seriously.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Truper is on a distinguished road

I'd love it if the random map generating feature included ways to modify the results from within the game itself, so that those like me with no drawing skills whatever, and no inclination to obtain and learn a program like GIMP might be able to make maps for MP play.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Dominions 3: \"Wishlist\"

Way on top of my own wishlist:

Please, please, leave that 'Något gick fel' error message as it is (untranslated) in Dom 3. It always has been, is, and should remain Dominions' most distinctive hallmark. Without it, the game would lose a lot of its appeal to me.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

It has been there since CoE days. So I don't imagine it will be left out anytime soon.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

The biggest thing I would like to see is more advanced terrain in battles. Swamps that would really give C'tis an advatage, castles with more options for troops on both sides to use (boiling oil, scaling ladders, perhaps even magical options). Wild terrain would also give a real use for light infantry, a few more commands would make light cavalry useful (fire and flee where they all retreat to the same province, hold until enemy route- for chasing down fleeing troops).

I also hope Dominions will keep the ability that sets its apart from any other game I have played- the ability to play non-PBEM MP with a slow modem. That alone has greatly increased the amout of time I put into Dominions.
Old October 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Would it be possible to include automatisized Advisors/Governours ?
Like in Civ 3 ?

So if you feel lazy ( mainly in Sp ) you turn on e.g. the tax advisor and he sets taxes in all your empire like suggested above by others according to unrest automatically .

Then monthly forging function , hopefully a forge advisor who automatically stocks clams / fetishes / blood stones / new hoarding items on the right commanders ( scouts ) .

Finally improved recruting that you can give e.g. the command build 10 scouts / turn and the Ai just selects 10 provinces where this is possible and does it.

Gamewise : Finetune the supply system a bit because atm imo it is damn hard to make campaigns in enemy territory with only 50 supply eating armies . Normally investing in the bag of vine is not really worth it too cause you would get lots of vine ogres for that e.g. .

More balanced random events and / or option to completely turn them off for an even more competetive game experience .

Maybe more province build options which cost upkeep too but bring additional benefits :
e.g. build a tax office : Gold 100 , 5 upkeep : +20% tax earnings in province .
Build prison : unrest -x / turn .
Maybe some "wonders" which have a global effect like +0,2% popgrowth in every province or 5% more good events etc.

More options in game settings :
-Random events on/off , frequency options for random events .
-all captured buildings destroyed / captured intact , x% destroyed , etc.

So as much as possible adjustable .
I think Aow 2 Shadow magic is here quite good as example .

Everything modable and with a good Userinterface , so a real editor like civilization 3 editor , Aow 2 SM editor , starcraft editor as good examples .
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road

Ability to customize some of the UI, with, say, keyboard shortcuts. Saving some "favorite" army setups and battle scripts would be a nice feature; with the game as it currently is, if you find something that "works" for you, you have to recreate it every time. I find I don't have the patience for it...

Similarly: I'd like to see the return of the Battle Simulator - and to have it launchable from the main game. Here I am, planning for my next turn; I know what my available armies are (or could be, depending on how I move this and this one); I have a good (or bad) idea what the opposing armies are (or could be), and what the opposing player's tactics seem to be. I'd like to be able to test, from within the game, what the possible outcomes might be.

More content: I'm not sure this is so essential. I mean, maybe some people managed to explore each and every unit/combo in the game, but I haven't; I'm pretty sure there's enough stuff in there already to Last me until Dom4.

More battlefield orders. More scripting options, especially if it's easier to store/recreate them. Include an "intelligence" stat on some commanders (or troops?) that lets them store more complex orders. Include an option for "if" orders, or maybe just "if unapplicable, do this instead". Of course, for this to be manageable, we'd need better "script management" (I guess that one's my top wish, after all).

Saveable battle replays. Not that it matters so much, but sometimes, in a big MP game, you're so happy with how things turned out, you'd like to be able to brag about it without sharing your password
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road
Default little wish: literature / link list

just a little dom3 wish:

add in the manual a (big! long!) section with links to books/pages about all that mythological stuff.

since playing dominions1, i feel that my interest increase to learn more about the background/legends/history of all those monsters and weapons in the game.