The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM

Private

enrico7113 is on a distinguished road
Default gamma pulse torpedo, what are the correct stats ?

Hi everybody from Enrico
I have a question ...
looking at the main components.txt
it seems that gamma pulse torpedo as well as other torpedos should decrease in damage efficiency with the distance but at the very end of the same page all the weapons stats are repeated again in a form ... well gamma pulse torpedo now does not descrease in damage with the distance (just like capital ship missile as example)
to be honest I think it should not decrease since its damage at point blank is the same as the capital ship missile while the range is just slightly better (160 against 140)
am I right about this ?
thanks for replying
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:05 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gamma pulse torpedo, what are the correct stats ?

I looked at the components and I am not sure why the chart in the components file lists it that way. Maybe an error? I don't know. My own personal feeling with standard, conventional, missiles is that the weapons damage really should be the same, per specific missile, if you are 0 distance or 100 away from target. Now if it is an energy type missile, say a pulse weapon type missile, then the energy can dissipate over long distances. Beams follow this logic too. However we can always change them to what we want in the components file since this is sci-fi and anything is possible.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Private

enrico7113 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gamma pulse torpedo, what are the correct stat

Hi rstaats10
thanks for replying
I took a careful look at the main components file and main enemies file
well ... if you take a look at summaries at the end of the page they are not usually consistent with the text above ...
for example weapon ranges and damage in tha main components file are different from what is stated in the summary at the end of the page
about the main enemies in the beginning there is a list of races and their specific equipment armour , weapons , engines ... well in the end of the file there a summary of ships with the default weapons but it is inconsistent with the specific race equipment (for example amonkrie do not come with lightning ray or gamma pulse torpedo ....) and at the very end of the file there is a little summary with weapons stats ... well it is different again from both the main component text and summary .... ((
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM

Corporal

rstaats10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gamma pulse torpedo, what are the correct stat

Hi Enrico
Yes I see what you are saying, The only thing that matters in the components file is the actually components entries. The summary text at the end would have no bearing on the game at all. The summary text at the end was probably just for reference when the game builders were making the componets to have quick reference to. They probably made the mistakes by multiple people working on stuff and not getting the info right. Or could be just tired. ha

As to the original component stat that should be right, I really don't know. We can always change them to how we want anyways.