.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:11 AM

Sergeant

shatner is on a distinguished road
Default Two Quick Modding Questions

I've looked through the modding guide, the modding threads and I've ran some keyword searches on the forum and haven't found the answers I'm looking for, so I'm hoping you good people know them.

1) How do you make a mod nation start preferentially on the coast, like LA Marignon or LA Atlantis? I tried setting the #loc for the nation's starting magic sites to coastal but that didn't do it and I don't see anything else in the modding guide to accomplish this.

2) Say you have a unique spell used by several nations, like Ambush of Tigers. What's the best way of porting that spell over to a new nation? Is it better to create a new spell that copies the old spell and is set to be restricted to the new nation, OR is it acceptable to grab the existing spell and add #restricted to it?
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Two Quick Modding Questions

I think you may have to overwrite one of the nations with coastal starts to do it.

And yes adding onto the list of nations who can use a previously existing spell is fine.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
I think you may have to overwrite one of the nations with coastal starts to do it.
That's a real pity; overwriting an existing nation is not acceptable in the context of this mod. While that wasn't the answer I was hoping to hear, I appreciate it all the same. Thanks.
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM

Sergeant

How do you add underwater province defense to a land nation (like what LA Jomon or LA Atlantis have)?
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:06 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

IIRC, there are no commands to set coastal start or underwater PD.
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

legowarrior is on a distinguished road

There is no way to replicate the abilities of LA Jomon in the MA without overriding one of the previous nations?
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM

You can set underwater recruitment just fine, but not underwater PD or coastal starts. If you need to replicate other special stuff, look to what you can do with the map commands.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Sergeant

Now when you say map commands, I'm assuming you mean commands to modify a specific map, and not some subset of commands you can put in a normal nation mod. If so, I don't think that'd work for this project because the goal is to just have an MA Jomon mod which anyone can take and use in whatever game they are playing, regardless of map.

Now, if you ARE talking about something that can be done from the nation-mod side of things that will work regardless of the map being played on then I am VERY interested.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Urf, sorry, my mistake. Meant to say "other modding commands", since map commands are not what you are looking for.

Map commands allow forcing a coastal start for desired nations on that specific map, but the downside is they will always start there.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM

Sergeant

Alright, I got another question: how do you make national spells for a nation no longer available? Specifically, for the MA Jomon mod Legowarrior and I are working on, I need to redefine LA Jomon to be MA Jomon. However, MA Jomon isn't supposed to have access to all the oni and undead summoning national spells (just the kami summoning ones).

First I tried selecting all the offending spells and adding #restricted statements to make it restricted to just Shinuyama and, when applicable, Yomi. That didn't work.

The mod documentation said a spell can only have 3 such restrictions so secondly I tried restricting those spells to Shinuyama, Yomi when applicable, and then one or two unused nations (nations 23 and 24 which are "AI Special Monsters"), in an effort to push LA Jomon out of the three nations a spell can be restricted to. That didn't work.

Third, and finally, I tried copying all the spells and setting those copies to be restricted to just Shinuyama and Yomi. Then I modded all the original spells to be unresearchable (#school -1). That didn't work.

Is this something you can do when modding Dom3 and, if so, how? Thanks in advance for any replies.