.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 29th, 2018, 01:38 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road
Disk Panzer Scenario Conversions by Zovs66

So a few years ago (when SPWW2 was DOS only) I created 20 scenarios based (as a source) off of the ASL game system.

Recently I found 13 (lost/missing) scenarios in an archive and worked to fix some of them based on feedback from folks and those are posted in the thread “Missing Lost Scenarios” (same with MBT but I had found 54 scenarios).

Doing some of the work for those missing/lost scenarios and getting valuable feedback from folks inspired me to get back into scenario design/conversions.

EDIT (7/16):

So there are now two zip files that cover the official 24 scenario conversions from Panzer to SPWW2 format. These are based off of GMT's Panzer game and all 24 or east front scenarios.

From my perspective, they are fun, fast and a bit furious. I think that primarily, the meeting engagement type of battles is highly suitable for two player PBEM games. I also tried to balance them out as best as possible for two player games and to some extent against the AI (using waypoints). I made notes of this in each scenario and made some recommendations on which side to play if playing against the AI and also against a human.

I think they are all pretty fun and intense little matches and had a blast creating these. If anyone has a go with them, please provide feedback and let me know if there are any glaring holes or if other improvements could be made.

EDIT: (8/2)

Renamed the thread.

So now I have finished up the work on the entire official scenarios (1-34) from Panzer 1, 2, and 3 from GMT Games, these scenarios are in slots 530-563. To round off this series of scenarios from Panzer, I have created six more scenarios (slots 564-569) from various third party contributors to increase or round off the total to 40 scenarios for you playing enjoyment. There are a few more from the '3rd party' contributors I may do in the future, but want to shift gears for some other scenario conversions.

Thank you and good hunting.

P.S. Look for another thread soon on more scenario conversions from other board games. :-)

EDIT (8/8) Added zip file with two scenario corrections 547 and 551. Overwrite with new files in the zip.

EDIT (10/13/2018): Removed previous zip files and created four new zip files which contain all the (previous) corrections.

EDIT (11/5/2018): Added a new Panzer scenario conversion pack (pz-pack-05) this includes ten more scenarios.

EDIT: Removed attachments as they have been updated and placed into the 2019 patch. 3/28/2019

Last edited by zovs66; March 28th, 2019 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: added more files
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zovs66 For This Useful Post:
Old June 29th, 2018, 03:28 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenarios by Zovs66

Finished scn 530 - The Crossings: Ukraine.

Played as the Germans. Did not at first understand that there were three bridges to take and that I had a second Pz IV platoon. Burnt too many turns to recover from that, decided to ignore the "northern" bridges and focus on the other two.

The Soviet AI get to the victory hexes first but only in the north do they push across the river. In the south they actually move back and head "north".

The first loss is a Pz IV, followed by the obliteration of the AI tank company during the remaining turns. One crew and the Soviet HQ survives.

I opened the scenario in the editor and noticed you had set waypoints for the AI forces. Good.

German marginal victory.

In a PBEM I would do things in a similar fashion - ignore one Victory Hex row and mass the tanks in hope of taking the other two.
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old June 29th, 2018, 03:56 PM

Captain

Finished scn 531 - The Village: Poland.

Played it as Germany.

Expected no enemy in the village and raced forward full tilt. Tried to set up defensive positions but the whole thing become a bar fight inside the village. The burnt of the fighting falls on the Pz IV platoon. Tried to finish it without losses but the Pz IV platoon leader is knocked out, and another Pz IV takes a crippling blow. Soviet armour force is destroyed during the end of the game, mainly in the village.

Panther platoon wheels into the village and captures the VHs not under German control. Game ends on turn 14. Found nothing wierd with the map or the AI forces.
Old June 29th, 2018, 04:27 PM

First Lieutenant

Wulfir,

Thanks for your playtesting and feedback! All feedback is awesome and useful. Yes I set waypoints for all 10 scenarios for player two (which just happens to be the Russians in all these cases.

If the community likes them I plan on converting the rest of the Panzer series over to SPWW2. They are fun fast bar fights lol.

I think there are about 40 of these things.

From the old SPI board wargame I have a few 'monsters' but those will take a while to build and test out before they leave the 'shop'. Again many thanks!
Old June 29th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Captain

Finished Scn 352 - The Crossings Part 2: Ukraine

Took advantage of just having played the original variant of this scenario. Detailed one platoon per objective, reinforced the infantry platoon with the anti-tank guns and the tank company HQ section.

Game ends on turn 12, all VHs taken, no German losses. Twice infantry bumped into point blank range fire from Soviet leg units but took no losses. At game's end the Soviet tank company HQ unit (a T34) had not moved forward and remained on the map along with a couple of trucks and routed leg units.

Found no problems with the map or units.

When I build scenarios I tend to give advantages to the intended AI side - the drawback of that is of course that if played as a PBEM game the scenario favours the player commanding player 2.
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post

When I build scenarios I tend to give advantages to the intended AI side - the drawback of that is of course that if played as a PBEM game the scenario favours the player commanding player 2.

Totally agree with that. I designed these to be as evenly matched between two folks and also tried to help the AI out a bit. It's tricky trying to achieve both.

I have played the first 4 scenarios about six times each switching sides to see how it goes. So they should be mostly balanced between 2 folks, but I also tweaked a few things here and there to help the AI a bit.

Thanks again for testing these for me!
Old June 30th, 2018, 06:23 AM

Captain

Finished scn 532 - The Passing: Ukraine.

Decided to change things up a bit and made this into a small 2 scn campaign. Switched the out the Germans for Hungarians.

Armoured Group Imredy, Hungarian Army

HQ (LtCol Imredy)

Recon Platoon (two MC sections)

Heavy tank platoon (Pz IV section)

Medium Tank Company(-) (75mm Turans, 2 Platoons) (Capt Gabors)

Motorised Infantry Company(-) (Two platoons, mot transport only for Co HQ and one platoon) (Lt Gombos)

Anti-tank detachment (one captured T34, two StuG III, two 76mm AT-guns, two 57mm AT-guns, two trucks)

Motorised Engineer Detachment (Engineer platoon, inf-At section, HMG section, 4 trucks)

AA Detachment (2 88mm Guns – anti-tank role, 2 prime movers)

Turn 0

All troops deployed along the road, roughly where the original scenario's German force was deployed.
Recon plt in the lead followed by the Engineer platoon, heavy tank plt, Company Gabors, Anti-Tank Detachment and the reduced Company Gombos.

88mm AA Guns and one rifle platoon remains holding the two Hungarian VHs at games start.

Turn 1-2

Group moves forward, Eng Plt debus at the corssroads.

Turn 3

Turans near the crossroads take fire from T34s. Enemy mot inf also spotted.

Turn 4-7

Russian tanks advance on the crossroads. Hungarian gunnery not quite up to German standards. One StuG III is lost, one Turan damaged while three T34s and three trucks go up in smoke. Some well placed Soviet AT guns stop Hungarian movement south from the crossroads.

Turn 8-15

With smoke it was possible to blind the AT-guns and dash south to capture the majority of the VHs. I ignored the two VHs in the enemy rear, figuring it would not be enough time to get there without a sort of mad rush forward. The bulk of the Soviet tank force was destroyed in fighting around the crossroads. Hungarian forces took a few more infantry losses and another Turan damaged. At games end the Soviet AI player had one AT-gun and some infantry left in the fight. The remaining AT-gun was never discovered.

The original scenario force value for the German side was 1702 build points. I used 1750 build points for the Hungarian side – I guess their units are cheaper. The Hungarian weapons were not great at range and I think I would probably have doubled my losses if I had pushed on the two Soviet rear VHs when trading fire with the T34s at longer ranges.

Found no problems with the map or Soviet units.
Old June 30th, 2018, 09:54 AM

First Lieutenant

Thanks again Wulfir, cool idea on the mini-campaign. Gives me some ideas...
Old June 30th, 2018, 10:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

A "campaign" could simply be a two day battle....Day one then the day after....think of it as an "extended scenario"

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 30th, 2018, 12:29 PM

First Lieutenant

Thanks DRG, I got some ideas for some 3-5 day mini-Campaigns. Once I work through some more scenario conversions, I'll circle back and try for some mini's.