.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:24 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Unlucky Platoon L

Or how not to conduct recon.
Well sometimes snake eyes come in groups & this platoon got more than its share of bad luck, though I didn't help them much.
It had been a quiet day for them scouting down the left flank, they were just about to enter a small copse of trees when a enemy tank burst out of them.
Squad assaulted but botched the attempt losing a couple of men, tank retaliated breaking them & destroying them as they routed.
In their turn the remaining members decide to move to safety as the tank will be engaged by my armour if it moves forward at all.
First to move goes gets hit by a GL wiping out 5 men, it then kills them as they run.
The next squad vanished to one round of auto cannon fire.
The lead squad decided it might be prudent to stay where he was & got hit next turn by a flame weapon probably from the squad that was detecting them, second hit & he was gone to.
Whole platoon wiped out in 6 or 7 shots & only unit spotted was the tank, not a good day at the office.
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unlucky Platoon L

John,first of all,i'm sure you are a much better player than I.
You never mention if any smoke cover was ever used,and since it was recce why not?
From the info you provide,i think you got a little Rambo-ish,when you could maybe did a smoke retreat then draw them out when your armor/anti-tank assets came in line.
Happens to all of us,me included,as one says "hide with pride",,who always says that?

Last edited by gila; November 16th, 2013 at 08:30 PM..
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

$hit happens in real life and $hit happens in the game...

Sometimes the random number generator bites you big time,,,, as you say multiple snakes eyes.

If you saved before that turn exit the game restart the game then replay the turn and I'm betting the outcome will be different
Old November 16th, 2013, 11:55 PM

Captain

Yep,i've found s__t happens more often than not in this game,expcially now since assaulting tanks with infranty is much more difficult in the new version.
Time to change that tactic.
Old November 17th, 2013, 12:25 AM

General

Gila tactical situation didn't warrant smoke & as far as I was aware the other squads were undetected & tank had TI, my bad there but the reason I posted was just the continued run of bad luck. Squads do get wiped out with one or 2 shots from time to time but these guys just seemed to be bullet magnets.

Have had payback already with 2 enemy ATGM launches at 90% going wide of the mark.
Old November 17th, 2013, 12:49 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Gila tactical situation didn't warrant smoke & as far as I was aware the other squads were undetected & tank had TI, my bad there but the reason I posted was just the continued run of bad luck. Squads do get wiped out with one or 2 shots from time to time but these guys just seemed to be bullet magnets.

Have had payback already with 2 enemy ATGM launches at 90% going wide of the mark.
John,from your OP it seems like a squad in the platoon stumbled in close to an AFV,then the train wreck of all of them insued.

Have you still have a save game file?

What i'm saying is,after the squad that discovered the armor "it" an all others should be popping smoke,not advancing or assaulting except for the squad caught perhaps as they are dead men walking anyway.

Then you could maybe save the majority of the plt instead of throwing in the rest(and i know didn't)which is a typical panic respose.

Last edited by gila; November 17th, 2013 at 01:04 AM..
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM

General

No save but as stated

Quote:
In their turn the remaining members decide to move to safety as the tank will be engaged by my armour if it moves forward at all.
They only had to move a hex or 2 to be out of sight of the tank if it moved forward.
It would then be & was engaged by my armour as in LOS.
If they had stayed it would probably have moved one hex & engaged them.
Tank had TI so popping smoke would have alerted him & I needed a side turret or rear hit for the RPGs to stand a chance of being effective.