.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

VedalkenBear is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sombre's Mods

I must say, Sombre, while I'm not perfectly satisfied with the balance of your nations, there are all very different and very evocative. I have played the Skaven nation, as well as Ulm Reborn, and since I don't like the micromanagement of gemming battle commanders, it seemed a bit hard to use a few of the Skaven battle spells, but I completely recognize their utility.
Old March 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
I just had a crazy idea regarding the Warhammer nations...
I really like this idea. Representing some of the different time periods could be fun, and the idea you had for the skaven in particular seemed very cool and interesting from a player's perspective. Although you might have to mess with the timeline a bit to make everything completely workable. I'm not sure, I'm not an expert on that. But it's not a big deal really.
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:58 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Well they would be presented as variant nations as much as earlier or later versions of the nations.

For Lizardmen it could work this way:

EA - You are clearly going to have more Slann - 5th, 4th and 3rd gen all buildable, but no Skink cavalry, shamans, priests of sotek, sotek summons, red crested skinks, skink archers. Spawning summons all cheaper/more numerous. Skink Priests cost more and don't auto communion - are far less needed with Slann being a lot more common. Salamanders haven't been tamed yet - big dinosaurs are cheaper though, as are kroxigor. It's incredibly powerful magically.

LA - Sotek stuff and skinks rise more into power and sotek saurus and priests are now sacred - far less saurus, only 5th gen slann available at great expense, no more oldblood saurus and saurus scar veterans are expensive. Sacred spawnings cost more as do temple guard etc. Basically everything is more centered on skink and Sotek, with the crazy power of the slann being far harder to get to and more costly. You don't get 2nd gen at all any more and 3rd gen are extremely expensive summons. The nation is actually almost a blood one at this point.
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM

General

I'd play them I was really thinking of the empire when I said that, I'm not sure how easy it would be to make an EA and LA empire. Although I do seem to recall you having said something about them before, now that I think about it.

EA lizardmen sound a lot stronger than la lizardmen though, even without the skinks. It might be hard to balance them for something like an all ages game, not that it's really that likely you'd see one with multiple ages of the saem mod nation.... If you do it like that, there should be some anti-skaven flavoured spells for the priests of sotek, or maybe some kind of disease immune creatures. Hmm, I don't think there's a tag to be just immune to disease though without being a demon/undead. I guess relying on poison resistance to show their anti-skaven bent isn't so bad, but if you're changing the la skavens to be more disease-inducing it won't quite be as helpful for that.
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Recuperation is an effective anti-disease flag, if you can come up with a thematic justification for it.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM

General

Good point....
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:18 AM

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Ooh ooh, you could build LA Skaven on top of MA C'tis, so as to give them the Miasma. No-one escapes disease in the lands of Clan Pestilens!
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM

I just summoned a Vermin Lord. It says "but their chisel-teeth, sharp claws and powerful hooves are almost as dangerous". However, they have no claw or tooth attacks.

Also it says they are surrounded by an aura of creeping decay. I wonder if it might be cool to give them disease cloud?
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM

Actually I guess they're not quite finished, since they have no attack animation. Also their attack causes the communion animation on the target, oddly.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM

Private

alansmithee is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind me asking, how are you playing the skaven? I'm having a little difficulty with them now against the computer. I usually play medium to large maps, 11 mighty AI nations. The big problem seems to me that skaven want to fight a war of attrition, which the computer does better (having hordes more chaff, and generally better morale). Also, I tried a S9/W9 bless (was gonna play them like Mictlan, with censors taking the role of jags) but my guys die way too fast. I really like the nation, and I think they would perform better in a game against humans, but dealing with the vast numbers of chaff without anything to absorb it is difficult.