BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 31st, 2015, 12:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows 10 Status and yes there'll be no Win 9.

It may be that you don't yet have video drivers for Windows 10 that will support 256 colour modes, or that the video card manufacturers think its an outdated MSDOS mode, so not worth writing. Microsoft themselves may have removed any requirement to support the mode as "obsolete" - same as modern windows versions (and video drivers for modern monitors) wont let you select 640 mode. Likely in the future even 800 mode might fall by the wayside as well, wouldn't surprise me.

So windowed mode using desktop resolution is really the best way forward. Its actually faster for modern day cards to do full colour display and convert the 256 colour palette into that mode on the fly, than to use a native 256 colour mode. It used to be the other way round in the DOS and early windows days of course!.

Plus windowed mode will work in collaboration with the other open windows programmes, allowing task switching without the risk of Windows messing up the palette when you try to return to the game, leaving you with a psychedelic display.

So, I'm not too worried about 256 colour full screen paletted MS-DOS mode not working. Its a legacy mode from the 1990/2000 era and 4:3 aspect CRT monitors.
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Windows 10 Status and yes there'll be no Win 9.

Agreed.

Windowed /Desktop is our recommended mode but lets see how this changeover pans out. As Andy suggested this may just be a video driver issue that may or may not be resolved by the card manufaturer.......time will tell. Vista was a PITA but solutions we came up with for that allowed a smoother transition with win 7. Win 8 and 8.1 worked perfectly for me right from the start so lets give this some time

Don
Old August 1st, 2015, 03:25 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Windows 10 Status and yes there'll be no Win 9.

Meant to put this info into my last post but, Don and Andy are on the mark. For my Bitdefender Security Suite I just received notification less than a week ago that my product was now Win 10 compatible. Within the last three days JAVA Version 8 Update 51 and NVIDIA driver update for my GTX 750 Ti were released both in the early a.m. of the 29th this month for the same reason. They're big players and they weren't ready until the launch of Win 10 the same day. Another consideration to look at possibly, is your video card still supported? My last a HIS ICE 4600 (AMD) had it's support dropped about 1+ years ago. Though I ran a system compatibility check on my old PC for Win 7 & 8 and the GPU passed doesn't mean it would've operated properly with Win 10.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Just installed win10. First thing I tried was both games and not only does it run perfectly on my machine in desktop windowed mode, fullscreen desktop seems to run a bit better than it did with win8.1.

However, fullscreen mode DOES NOT work for me at 1600x1280 but it does at all other non desktop resolutions

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old August 7th, 2015, 01:40 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Great news! Thanks Don.
2 down a whole bunch to go...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old August 7th, 2015, 06:53 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

1600x1280 mode likely does not work since the monitor is probably 1920x1080.

On modern widescreen LCD screen days, the vertical resolution has to be less than or equal to one of the supported modes to run. I seem to recall that in the old CRT days, the video drivers used to clip to the desktop size - but not now.

That is why we introduced "desktop" resolution - it uses the currently set desktop video mode as the game's window size.

Windows 10 is though has some privacy issues, unless you don't accept their privacy defaults:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08...vacy_defaults/
Old August 7th, 2015, 08:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Starting up the game in win10 windows/desktop appear to be faster as in" don't blink or you'll miss it" fast....on my machine anyway ----5/10ths of a second fast in comparison fullscreen is around 8.5 seconds but I can't go back now and do a comparison with win8.1 but it seems faster to me in windows mode

.....and yes, my monitor is 1920x1080. I knew there were past problems with 1600x1280 I just forgot why until Andy mentioned it so nothing new with this upgrade

Don
Old August 16th, 2015, 04:18 PM

Lieutenant General

For anyone that has experienced this issue during the download and or update process concerning activation of the "Airplane Mode" my cable/internet provider could find only two solutions reload 10 with apps/files saved or a clean reboot. Opted for the first and just got on the net Fri. after almost a week before work. This option however still caused me to reload graphics card, mother board and other software to further include security suite etc. Also I lost my Mozilla Firefox I had prior to being knocked offline, this resulted in losing 8 yrs. worth of data for equipment the big hit was in the APC area. Sorry I tried everything the data is lost and unrecoverable from Mozilla and the auto backup did not pick up the previously saved items. This is a hot trending item on the web here under Airplane Mode/or Loss of Ethernet connection can't connect to the internet. The limited reboot did get to the net (Obviously) now however the Airplane Mode is still on and will not shut off. Notified MS last Sun/was escalated to the ready...escalation trouble shooting echelon/was supposed to hear back by Tue. they called Thur./Fri. of course when I'm at work./currently awaiting call back (3hr.+ hold/or call back wait.)/I figure that'll kill the rest of my day/evening. And if they tell me to reboot I swear I'll "crawl" through my phone to India.
This was as it's turning out now, a smaller issue with Win 8/8.1.

Stay away from the Airplane Mode button in Settings!!

Game wise hope to start playing tonight looks like the games survived all this crap intact. Let you know when I recoup/revive and find my happy place again.

NOTE: They are seeing this issue to a lesser degree with hand held devices and tablets...be careful!!

It figures I'd be the one to catch the torpedo up my...engine room!!

Regards,
Pat

P.S. My initial Win 10 download worked perfectly fine for about 24-36 hrs.

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old August 16th, 2015, 04:55 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Eeek!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Pat.

Thanks again for being a guinea pig

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old August 16th, 2015, 09:03 PM

Lieutenant General

I'm now in my happy place, bookmark wise anyway. I completely forgot about my Flash drive which I just happened to leave in the new PC. Yeah the F drive I bought for that and other resources I wanted to keep when I went from the old XP PC to this one. Well after seven hours and of course while I was out to get some dinner, MS tech support called (Robot to see if your home.) and since I wasn't home, the case has been dropped and now I'll have to start over in the morning and keep a porta potty by my desk. I'd love to do it tonight but since I was up until after 0700 this morning hunting and reinstalling software etc. I'll take a pass. At least the "DC party" kept me from going to the bottom and I've reestablished some "buoyancy" and "trim".
Now all I have to do is find my Ethernet adapter so how I'm out here I don't know and am almost afraid to look. But then there is always MS support to help!?! sorry Don I'm just so there right now!!

Regards,
Pat