.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Scenarios, Maps & Mods

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Images for Modding ?

I suck at drawing graphics .

If i would do a small mod on my own is there anywhere a source for fantasy creature images in about the size that dominion 2 uses ? That i could simply download them and get half decent looking unit images ?
Now with playing battle for middleearth i would like to do a mordor and maybe a gondor mod but i don't want to draw the graphics myself .

Anyone knows a source or an older game with about the same graphic as dominions 2 where i could get my units from ?
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Thilock_Dominus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Images for Modding ?

You could modify the allready existing units in dom2. That's what I'm doing.

Nosophoros: The Vampire Lords - v1.02
Conquest of Elysium 3 GUI mods
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

This is the site by an artist who works on one of the other games at Shrapnel (Space Empires). David E. Gervais. He has done alot of the icons and avatars you see in this forum also. I tried to get him interested in Dom2 which didnt happen but he did say we could use his older game images.
http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/index.htm

There is a game which used to be here then went OpenSource called "RuneSword II"
http://sourceforge.net/projects/runesword/

Here is a source forge project which is only to produce game tiles for games like Dom2.
http://rltiles.sourceforge.net/

In fact if you do a search at SourceForge (all Open Source projects) for words like dungeon you will get alot of places to check for things which might be public domain.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 18th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gandalf .
Unfortunately most of the images are frontal view but some are exactly fitting for dominions .

One more question :
If i would take e.g. unit graphics from heros of might and magic 3 or 4 because they seem to be about the right size etc. if i would offer then my mod here for downloading what that be illegal because i violated a copy right from heroes of might and magic 3 ?

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im not sure if anyone has ever pursued a player for including things in their MOD. Since no money is made on it, and we are talking really old stuff, Im not sure what the point would be.

HOWEVER the official answer would have to be YES that would be a violation of the authors rights. It would also be very unnecessary. Since we are talking about 2D game tiles there are tons of games out there which have been given to the public domain. There are many Online libraries of tile pieces.

And you would be surprised how often you can contact an author and just ask. Even with very popular titles like MM3. In fact, please do that. While you are asking be sure to mention how popular the game is that is able to use their tiles. It might draw a few of them here to take a look.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)