World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old September 7th, 2005, 06:55 AM

Private

bhutnath is on a distinguished road
Default game wish

Hello all,
I played a bit of sp2 and sp3 long ago. Discovered what is now the old spmbt v 3.1 some time back and played a few pbems with a friend. In the last year or so I came accros demo from another old war game TOAW -century of warfare. The demo featured few turns from the Korean war in the 50s.

I realised that what I wanted was a game that would take the moves from the 'strategic game board' of toaw and translate it into battles in SPMBT and let me fight it out. At the end the results could be applied back to TOAW. Can any one point me to a mod or game thats on similar lines?

So far all the mods I have come accross of the SP series are similar in scale to SP2. Wasnt SP3 bigger in scale? with brigade sized battles and introduction of fuel along with ammo as logistic need? Just wondering why the sp2 scale seems to be favored over the sp3 one? People prefer smaller battles?

I have enjoyed the few pbems played so far and like the game a lot. (all large maps with 350-450 units) However I feel detached in single player scenarios and campaigns as the battle seems to lack consequence. (pre made campaigns some how havent attracted me much, so far I have tried only the generated campaigns)

-Bhutnath
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:08 AM

Private

niklas627 is on a distinguished road
Default game wish

Hi,

There is two things that I want to see in future versions of SPMBT.

1. “Rescue vehicles”, which is able to pull out and fix immobilized vehicles which have driving in to rivers or muddy areas and are stuck.

2. “Bridge layers”. I know that it has been mention before.
I have actually an idea how to fix this problem.
I have done a test in when I was put out a barge on a river. I drive up a tank next to the barge and loaded it in, and loaded it out of the barge.
I did not loss a single tank.

cheers/
niklas
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:04 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: game wish

Niklas, these are fine points you bring up here, but they have already been mentioned countless times, and the whole point, to sum things up, is that both bridgelaying and recovering actions take much too much time in the game scale (one turns equals less than five minutes) and anyway are never done in a combat situation, which is the whole setting of the game.

I remember speaking about it on the SPMBT list only a couple of mounts ago and all tankers agreed that no armoured vehicle could be undichted and towed away, let alone repaired, in less than half an hour. Most launched bridges take about that time to deploy too (yes, some take about 10 minutes or less, they do). Do you realize that IRL, changing the engine block of the most modern and well-designed tanks take no shorter than one full hour?
How do you want to put that in the game?

Anyway, bridging is something you do before the battle, and recovery is something you do afterwards. And the whole game concentrates on battles. In campaigns you can use repair points to fix or unditch immobilized units between battles, which assesses for the ARVs coming up in the secure zone and towing them away.
In the same way you can design some special units standing for a pontoon bridge (amphibious transport with no move) and deploy them in scenarios where you consider some AVLBs have been used.

Regards,
Plasma