Notices

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question Re Red, Blue and Green OOBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmatov View Post
Realizing the chance is minute, I would vote for a Swiss OOB. They had a modern army and there were invasion plans developed. Would be fascinating to explore.

And while I know there is really no chance, I would also enjoy a Swedish OOB. Same reasons.
See my "Swiss Blue" post in the main OOB thread below the stickys.

(I had a spare afternoon, and looked WW2 Switzerland up - not really very "modern" at all, it seems!)

Andy
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:29 AM

Corporal

Firestorm is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Switzerland didn't really move from a 1918-type arrangement until the 1950's. They're the only ones I know of to still use RT-17s in WinSPMBT.

Speaking of which, is it possible for Red/Green/Blue to do something like what Red does in WinSPMBT and change its picklist, batloc, et. al. based on the date and opponent? Moreover, would it actually be worth doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastava128 View Post
Ethiopia of course was invaded by Italy, but also had a strong resistance movement that helped the Brits drive the Italians out.
I second this suggestion, especially if it means including the Gideon Force.
Quote:
Like I said above, I might be able to make some sort of OOB sometime in the future, though information is hard to come by.
Some general ideas on what they had:

http://www.comandosupremo.com/forums...iopia-1935-36/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopi...Abyssinian_War
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=156873
http://theminiaturespage.com/news/1208270373
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/index...&topicid=10558

I seem to recall hearing that they received quite a bit of Japanese equipment too, as Japan was one of the only countries to ignore the rather questionable League of Nations embargo against both warring states.

Quote:
But a more serious problem is, would they have any chance against the Italians? How would they stop Italian tanks, when 80+ percent of their troops didn't even have Hand Grenades?
Stab them with spears.

If reports are to be believed—and I'll believe anything myself— Abyssinian tribesmen units really did thrust spears the vision ports of Italian cv.33's. Sometimes they'd also roll rocks on them or get enough men around one to flip it over.

For the most part, however, any set-piece engagement between Italian tanks and Abyssinian tribesmen are probably going to be massacres, as they were historically.
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:32 AM

Corporal

zastava128 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Stab them with spears.

If reports are to be believed—and I'll believe anything myself— Abyssinian tribesmen units really did thrust spears the vision ports of Italian cv.33's. Sometimes they'd also roll rocks on them or get enough men around one to flip it over.
I can believe that too. I've read about the Yugoslav partisans doing similar - one partisan officer reportedly captured a CV-33 by charging at it and sticking his pistol into the vision port - the Italians promptly surrendered!

Sadly you can't really implement such things in the game. Though to be fair they probably happened only rarely.

Quote:
For the most part, however, any set-piece engagement between Italian tanks and Abyssinian tribesmen are probably going to be massacres, as they were historically.
And that's exactly the problem I outlined before. While it's nice to have all the historical OOBs, Ethiopia is very limited because it only ever fought the Italians, and becaue a historically acurate portrayal of their army would not make for very fun games. Playing against an AI-controlled Ethiopia would be a turkey shoot. It's also a very niche thing, and I doubt many people would play it.

In short making a whole OOB would require a lot of work for little payoff. I'm currently (slowly) working on Croatian and Albanian OOBs, but that's mostly form my own use (I'll post them here eventually), and information on those is easier to come by.

If you're willing to try making an Ethiopian OOB though, let me know, and I'll share what information I've found.
Old March 12th, 2016, 11:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

IronDuke99 is on a distinguished road

For my money ditch the colours and yes please lets have DAK and The South Africans for East Africa, North Africa and Italy.
Old March 13th, 2016, 03:01 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

I use Green for South Africa, Blue for Atlantis, (with workarounds for the Falkhata and Samhara) and Red for partisans, guerrillas and a general Latin American Orbat I think I still have.

troopie