.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 19th, 2020, 10:08 PM

Corporal

retiredgysgt is on a distinguished road
Default Hue city

Has anyone made a campaign of the battle for Hue in January February 1968? I know there is a map, it is number 355.
Old February 19th, 2020, 10:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hue city

I'm working on it when I have the time and an in the mood.

It'll require several scenarios and the only "Core" unit will be the HQ. My problem is getting information on the NVA and VC units involved: composition, weaponry, what sections of the city (or outside it) they were in and when.

If you have a reliable source I'd be overjoyed if you'd let me know how to find it.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 19th, 2020, 11:57 PM

Corporal

All I have ever seen was a reference to several either Bns or regiments being in Hue. I forget where I saw it and it was in passing as I looked for something else. It may have been a wiki link to conflicts the US had.
Old February 20th, 2020, 12:40 AM

Corporal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hu%E1%BA%BF

This lists the 7 known Regiments of VC involved in the battle.
Old February 20th, 2020, 12:55 AM

Corporal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viet_C..._and_structure

the basic structure of Units is listed in this.
Old February 20th, 2020, 02:48 AM

Lieutenant General

Trouble is this is all general information and WinSPMBT is a tactical game.

Sure, everyone has an AK or SKS but how many RPGs and LMGs? Any MMGs? Mortars? I assume no actual artillery. Were these regiments at full strength or were some of their battalions/companies operating elsewhere and weren't at Hue? I know the NVA were getting resupply and replacements from outside the city, till when?

Yes I can just make up this stuff but I'd rather attempt (as best I can) to create a campaign that reflects what really happened rather then go all Hollywood/video game. Because you can do that already by simply generating a city battle with WinSPMNT.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 20th, 2020, 03:21 AM

Corporal

From my link the resupply lasted until about a week before the end fight. I believe that is when the 3 Allied commands had a unified command.

As for units doesn't the game have company and support stuff? Just remember the NVA and VC did everything in 3's.
Old February 20th, 2020, 09:43 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Yes I can just make up this stuff but I'd rather attempt (as best I can) to create a campaign that reflects what really happened rather then go all Hollywood/video game. Because you can do that already by simply generating a city battle with WinSPMNT.
Sorry I would have to disagree with your here. The tools that WinSPMBT and SPWW2 provide are just about as accurate TO/E's for tactical units from 1930-2025 that you can find out there. Using these tools a good scenario and campaign designer can create (or recreate) any historical battle. Doing research will help you modify the existing and awesome TO/E's for MBT/WW2 into what you need or feel you need to do.

If you need some help or ideas on how this can be achieved you can use the editor in SPWW2 and look at any one of the (near) 300 scenarios I have created. I have also created 7 CG for SPWW2. They are not perfect but using the tools that WW2 has provided and the research I have done and the venhola tool they are good representation of historical scenarios and campaign games.

For example in the last batch I created (scenarios 775-807 running from 1908-1929) I had to use the research materials I had and also via look up on the net and using Mobhack, Scenhack and modifying the units in the game so that I could model what I was trying to achieve. For example since a lot of those scenarios were set around 1919-1922, the Red OOB for example would have a squad with a LMG, what I would do is to change that to a rifle for example, or Molotov, or nothing. That way I don't have to create some new OOB and have the user swap that out to play my scenario (not that anything is wrong with that but I am not into creating brand new OOBs, I am happy with what The Camo has given to us). Or I'd add to existing companies extra units at the HQ or platoon level to create new formations without having to use Mobhack and making them from scratch that a player would have to swap in and out.

So my disagreement with you is that SPWW2/MBT does provide you with pretty accurate and detailed TO/E's for squad, company and even battalion and regimental level actions. I do agree that doing the research does take time but I also don't think any scenario designer will ever create a scenario or campaign with 100% accuracy and even if they did the players would screw it up with the very first movement of any units, lol.

I am in the process of using those skills and applying them to SPMBT this year.

I do hope the content of my disagreement is clear and I hope to see your CG in the future and play it.
Old February 20th, 2020, 11:18 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Trouble is this is all general information and WinSPMBT is a tactical game.

Sure, everyone has an AK or SKS but how many RPGs and LMGs? Any MMGs? Mortars? I assume no actual artillery. Were these regiments at full strength or were some of their battalions/companies operating elsewhere and weren't at Hue? I know the NVA were getting resupply and replacements from outside the city, till when?

You will NEVER know most of that so you have to guess and estimate then playtest to see if you have a mix that approximates reality and gives a good game but you will never get this done if you are expecting to know individual unit composition....and "how many RPGs and LMGs" Gimme a break..... I doubt the NV even knew that then !

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old February 20th, 2020, 11:51 AM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
You will NEVER know most of that
True!

But what concerns me is that with the news footage I've watched from the actual events I've seen essentially zero indication that the NVA had RPGs, mortars, AT-guns, or even HMGs (12/14mm). The apparent lack of such rather significantly changes the dynamics of battle. We've all seen the footage of an Ontos merrily blasting the NVA out of their positions with nothing but small arms in reply, this makes for a rather boring and one-sided scenario.

My attempts to replicate the ambush of USMC Co A's arrival on trucks via Highway 1 have led to a slaughter because of the way WinSPMBT deals with troops mounted in vehicles. I'm currently thinking of increasing the "Survivability" rating of the trucks to deal with this.

Admittedly all these "issues" exist primarily in my own head, but hey, we are what we are