.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail v.0.92 - Now with grammar!

Where does the -1 come from?
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

It's some sort of siegemalus flag I think - lch described it in the thread as an attribute of the unit.

But as I understand it, it's only coincidental with #animal and no other animals actually have it. So the birds were specifically made rubbish at sieging. The great hawk leading them sieges normally for example, despite also being an animal.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
All those listed below are British English spellings. Not 'errors'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
Mounted Yeoman:
dishonourable ---> dishonorable
Labour --> Labor
manoeuvres ----> maneuvers
Armour ---> Armor

Knight Errant(2756):
Labour --> labor
vigour --> vigor
colourful --> colorful

Knight Errant (2757):
Honour --> Honor

Yeoman Outrider:
Maneuvers is spelled wrong again

Marquis:
neighbour --> neighbor

Grail Damsel:
Rumour --> Rumor
splendour --> splendor

Lady of the Lake:
Channelling --> Channeling

Grail Crusade:
judgement --> judgment

Nation Description:
artefact --> artifact
ALL of them? I knew most of them were, but some look really wrong like artefact, channelling, manoeuvres. The spellings just look very bizarre to me.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Code:
Quote:
Mounted Yeoman: Armour ---> Armor Knight Errant(2756): Grammar: The are out to make a name for themselves, hoping to be granted a fief for their bravery. (The should be They) Knight Errant (2757): Same grammar error as Knight Errant Pegasus Knight: Pegasii --> Pegasi Brettonian Pegasus Same as Pegasus Knight Brettonian Lord: anough --> enough Marquis: Knight Errants ---> Knights Errant Grail Hero: Pegasii --> pegasi Grail Maiden: Magics ---> Magic The Green Knight: Bastonge --> Bastogne The Last Druid: which allowed him to fend of the Ermorian invaders and build the Kingdom of Bretonnia. (of should be off) Beastmaster (Should this be Beast Master?): Pegasii --> Pegasi Battle Gryphon: agression --> aggression Ride the Winds: suprise --> surprise Virtue of Nobility: swordarm --> sword arm Mist: Bastonge --> Bastogne
Thanks, I picked up those which are not based on the UK/US spelling differences. I wrote descriptions on a word with British language settings, so it fixed always suggested english spellings. I kind of like it, as a sort of reference to the Arthurian myths.

Although I'll keep an eye out for "Armour", since dom3 uses the american spelling for that.

Quote:
Also I noticed the scout costs 0 gold. I changed it to 20. Was that intentional, maybe a CBM thing?
I did to make it consistent with Sombre's WH mods. On about 99% of cases, recruiting a scout from casle is a absolute waste of a commander slot, so I agree with Sombre's view on that national scouts should just cost 0 gold.

Quote:
I hope that helps!
That was a big help. Thanks a lot.

And about the siege/freespawn problem, I brainstormed some solutions. Opinions are welcome:

1) Make the freespawn cost more upkeep (by making them summon different units that the basic recruitable peasants).
2) Reduce the amount of freespawn to 2, but make the summons a bit better. Like Lord to 2 chain men-at-arms and Marquis to 2 Yeomen. I could reduce the gold cost of the leather men-at-arms further to see that they see use in Bretonnian armies.
3) Change the troops to domsummons -> the sieger can preach to get the freespawn in control.

Any of these changes could also be added with the castle change.

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I am glad I could help. I really like the UK spellings for this mod, I just wanted to make sure it was intentional.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post

Quote:
Also I noticed the scout costs 0 gold. I changed it to 20. Was that intentional, maybe a CBM thing?
I did to make it consistent with Sombre's WH mods. On about 99% of cases, recruiting a scout from casle is a absolute waste of a commander slot, so I agree with Sombre's view on that national scouts should just cost 0 gold.
The impact is that even if you're gold limited, you would *always* recruit a scout from each castle that you would otherwise be unable to recruit from. As long as it's consistent across nations, it's not a problem, but otherwise, it's an advantage (even if a limited one.)

Zero upkeep scout units could then be used e.g. to cheaply break into blood via the scout hunting technique (vs. the upkeep on however many scouts you normally devote to such a task.) They'd also be great fever fetish hosts. Or anything else that just needs a unit with available slots as cheaply as possible.

As you point out, most of the time you'd still rather have a mage or commander unit, but it's something to consider.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
And about the siege/freespawn problem, I brainstormed some solutions. Opinions are welcome:

1) Make the freespawn cost more upkeep (by making them summon different units that the basic recruitable peasants).
2) Reduce the amount of freespawn to 2, but make the summons a bit better. Like Lord to 2 chain men-at-arms and Marquis to 2 Yeomen. I could reduce the gold cost of the leather men-at-arms further to see that they see use in Bretonnian armies.
3) Change the troops to domsummons -> the sieger can preach to get the freespawn in control.

Any of these changes could also be added with the castle change.
1) This doesn't really remove the problem and it would arguably add another level of annoyance because you'd be getting gold draining chaff whether you liked it or not and might even have to specifically suicide them to keep upkeep down. You know, when they aren't preventing sieges from working. They are still generated for free and still bypass the siege-stops-recruitment mechanic.

2) You mean summon allies? This doesn't change the siege situation since the besieged will have nothing better to do than summon dudes. Generally speaking I'm in favour of summon allies over freespawn though, because summon allies is never annoying - you have a choice about it. Even if it is technically worse.

3) The problem with domsummon is that on domsummon2 you still gets LOADS of dudes with high dom (basically you'll sit your domsummon commanders in your cap) while on domsummon20 you get so few it's a bit pointless (unless they're pretty powerful units like bat demons, vampires etc)

My advice would be to remove or otherwise heavily scale back the non recruitment creation of these units. When I started with the skaven I used a lot of summon allies and freespawn etc and over time I've realised it generally just causes more trouble than it's worth and creates a bizarre second economy based on hoarding commanders. If you look at the vanilla game it's really limited in application - cap only wolfherds for example. I suspect because of the warping effect it has on the game.

I think it's probably ok as a main feature of some nations, but bretonnia doesn't exactly feel like one of those to me.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post
The impact is that even if you're gold limited, you would *always* recruit a scout from each castle that you would otherwise be unable to recruit from. As long as it's consistent across nations, it's not a problem, but otherwise, it's an advantage (even if a limited one.)
A very limited advantage. How often do you not build a commander? At which point in the game? How useful are a handful of scouts at that point in the game?

People recruit indy scouts whenever possible, but that's because they don't take a commander slot. Even with scouts costing nothing (or 1 as I costed them) it makes no difference to whether you build an indy scout or not. Like you said, people will scout up only when they have no gold or are trying to save every last scrap of gold (even at the cost of a commander slot for a turn). This doesn't happen very often and hence I think you'll still see very few scouts.

Quote:
Zero upkeep scout units could then be used e.g. to cheaply break into blood via the scout hunting technique (vs. the upkeep on however many scouts you normally devote to such a task.) They'd also be great fever fetish hosts. Or anything else that just needs a unit with available slots as cheaply as possible.
Indy scouts are way better for all of these things because they don't take a commander slot. You therefore have them in large enough numbers for the blood hunting without disrupting your main strat (no way scout blood hunting in anyone's main strat). It's true they're infinitely cheaper than indy scouts, but they have a far, far greater opportunity cost for the vast majority of the game. They are also inherently fewer in number.

Edit: It should also be noted one reason I made commanders 1 gold in my mods is that I play exclusively on NI maps where the commander slot is even more precious.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I would have thought that might work reasonably well. I think that would be a sufficient change to make my "Recruit 3 marquis every turn and churn out freespawn like crazy" strategy pointless. It would be a shame to lose the freespawn altogether because you have done a good job of making it actually tempting to recruit commanders who aren't mages. Very few nations manage this and I think it is good.

NB I think both Burnsaber and I are using "freespawn" to mean "Summon Allies", somewhat incorrectly I realise.

PS Thanks for the hawk info Sombre, that's interesting.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabeast View Post
Quote:
I would have thought that might work reasonably well. I think that would be a sufficient change to make my "Recruit 3 marquis every turn and churn out freespawn like crazy" strategy pointless. It would be a shame to lose the freespawn altogether because you have done a good job of making it actually tempting to recruit commanders who aren't mages. Very few nations manage this and I think it is good.

NB I think both Burnsaber and I are using "freespawn" to mean "Summon Allies", somewhat incorrectly I realise.

PS Thanks for the hawk info Sombre, that's interesting.
Yeah, I think scaling back the numbers like that and forcing you to use the summon allies command is probably sufficient to make it fair, while still being useful. I don't think you need to worry about the price of leather men at arms though... 6 gold is pretty cheap as it is, that's already lower than almost anything in dom 3. They're plenty usable as chaff. Not as good as skavenslaves, but what is?
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP